OINK! I'm a Pig. 200g Reef Savvy, Bashsea, Royal Exclusiv -Direct sunlight- In wall w/ IKEA fishroom basement sump build

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you make these? Sorry if it’s buried if it’s buried in the build. Looking to make something similar.
Sorry for the late reply. So I used the 80/20 aluminum system and the corners were made using their L brackets. That creates the basic framework of the wall piece and the light mounting piece. The 3 pivot hinges (that attach the two together)
are a particular part that they have thats a 90 degree pivot with stop. That’s pretty much it. You can loosen those from the wall mounted rails and slide them up and down to adjust the height. I think I described above (or in the diy thread) how we mounted the Radions to the light rack, but there are many ways that will work. It came out more expensive than I wanted but it works perfectly so I am not complaining :)
I can post up a parts list of you are interested.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on delivery for your tank?
Sigh.. I know, right? I called and left a message for Felix last friday to get an update. This is seriously taking forever. Much longer than I ever anticipated (thanks Covid!). Every time I say to myself "it has to come by X month" I always end up disappointed :/
I mean, the only good news is that the glass has theoretically been cut, but so has a lot of other glass. So I was told he is assembling the tanks in order of wait time. Still doesn't help too much since the wait from here can still be long. I would REALLY love to have it before my November vacation, but it's looking like a long shot. I'll try reaching out to him again this week if I do not hear back. It's been SO long.

IoTaWatt is still on the to-do list since there is no sign of the tank yet :/

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up, what delayed starting my "real" build until now?

Two factors: A generator and a fish room.

Yes, I ran a 60 gallon eye-sore in that hole for a long time, with a sump below it... just a disaster and it looked like garbage since it filled only 1/3 of the space in the wall.

Generator
Fortunately or unfortunately, we live in New England, where we can get heavy wet snow falls. We also happen to live in a town that is obsessed with keeping trees, and has many old, old trees.. The result is that we can lose power in the winter at the drop of a hat, we can lose power any time the wind blows during the summer. I remember floating boiling bags of water to heat my 60 gallon during one 3 day winter power outage. That was horrendous. Waking up at ungodly hours of the night to swap out hot water bags. No more. Generator is a must. And since I travel, I can't be screwing around with a portable thing that I have to start up. So it wasn't until this year that we got our act together and got a "part home" generator. I say that because it would have been needlessly expensive to power the entire house, when all I really need during a power outage is the fish room running, hot water, living room lights, fridge, a couple kitchen outlets and the furnaces running. The rest I can live without (AC for example).

Enter the main actor for this act:

IMG_3811.JPG
I too live in New England - specifically rural Vermont on the Cambridge NY/Arlington VT border. What did the Generac set you back for the unit & install? Thanks!

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh.. I know, right? I called and left a message for Felix last friday to get an update. This is seriously taking forever. Much longer than I ever anticipated (thanks Covid!). Every time I say to myself "it has to come by X month" I always end up disappointed :/
I mean, the only good news is that the glass has theoretically been cut, but so has a lot of other glass. So I was told he is assembling the tanks in order of wait time. Still doesn't help too much since the wait from here can still be long. I would REALLY love to have it before my November vacation, but it's looking like a long shot. I'll try reaching out to him again this week if I do not hear back. It's been SO long.

IoTaWatt is still on the to-do list since there is no sign of the tank yet :/

Ok I reached Felix today.. At least the good news is that they are busy. But he promised me I would have my tank before Xmas.. So I am hoping.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too live in New England - specifically rural Vermont on the Cambridge NY/Arlington VT border. What did the Generac set you back for the unit & install? Thanks!
Sorry, I thought I had replied to this message.. The electrical company that did the work was from New Hampshire. I got the generator through Home Depot. It was $8500 total parts and labor for a 10kw unit.

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I thought I had replied to this message.. The electrical company that did the work was from New Hampshire. I got the generator through Home Depot. It was $8500 total parts and labor for a 10kw unit.
Prices have gone up post Covid and Generac has been behind in producing them due to high demand between supply issues and major weather events down south such a hurricanes. I’ve had my 16kw now that I understand they stopped making for two years and I paid $8700 fully installed with an auto transfer switch and while home surge protector and oil warmer. My service company had to run cable from the generator from one end to the other since mine is powered by natural gas and my electrical panel is on the other side of the house.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update. No I haven’t forsaken my build thread, it’s just that literally nothing is going on.
I talked to Felix yesterday and finally have some kind of a time frame. Unfortunately it’s February. Sheeesh. If you told me before this would take almost two years I probably would have gotten a different tank. Having said that, I haven’t been in too much of a rush, just frustrating tho. I’m sure the tank is awesome tho.
In any case, I suppose it’s fine. With ski season coming, there’s no time to be messing with setting up a tank. So February is fine as long as it doesn’t slip further.

Still. That’s a crazy long wait.

in any case, Merry Christmas all and Happy New Year!

Brandon Wilcox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great build but the wait time sucks. I’m looking at a new build and this stinks if I have to wait 2 years. I better start researching now. I don’t plan on starting for a couple months but if the tank takes that long… blah! I agree on the generator. I don’t want to get to crazy unless I have an easy way to take care of the tank in a crisis. My parents house is about a 1/2 mile from the Boulder/Louisville CO fire. Their house didn’t burn but the gas has been turned off. I like your preparation for the emergency.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a brief update. Still waiting on the tank but hopefully soon.
I talked with Felix and he offered some interesting ideas about the overflow. Originally we were going to go with the Ghost overflow. However, he suggested we do something like on the BRS dream tank, where he uses smoked glass and cuts the weir into the side of the tank then mounts a full, permanent external overflow box. In our case this makes sense because if the ghost ever leaked we wouldn’t know until it was too late and access would be limited. But in mounting a fixed overflow box we would have troubles getting it into place.
So I made a mock up as you saw out of styrofoam insulation and mounted and external box to the side of it to simulate the overflow box. It looks like if I cut the inside of the door frame a bit, I think I can squeeze it in. So that’s what I am doing this week.

soon I hope.

981653BB-83CE-4D1A-B794-0CD72F62186C.jpeg
9979BA14-53A7-4B02-85B1-31B71E077E7E.jpeg

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little jealous because I’d have preferred the external glass overflow like you’re getting. Less room for a chance of a leak and easier to just replace bulkheads if need to replace a gasket down the road. However with that said to get it in my house I’d have had to rent a crane and remove the living room bay window to lift it right into the living room. Never would have fit through a door or up my staircase. I am just praying the overflow doesn’t leak anytime soon. I used lubricant like used on the oring seals on the rubber gaskets on both sides of the ghost to help prevent it from drying out and maintaining a good seal.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I know you are really anxious to get the tank. I went through a long wait too (15 months), but some of that was my doing. You will love the tank when you get it and the wait will have been worth it. I think it will look great in that space.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?
I wish I had something. Still in a holding pattern waiting on Reef Savvy. I have been told I am in the batch of tanks that currently are starting production but I don’t know what to believe any more.

Im not pleased with how long this took. Ill post some mini updates on a week or two as I’m going to have some useful things to add to the build. Hopefully at that time I will have more info on the tank. :/

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through the thread, you must be a saint because there is absolutely no way I would have waited this long. I thought 6 weeks for my RS 850 felt like along time. Good luck on the build - It will be amazing when it all comes together

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back