OINK! I'm a Pig. 200g Reef Savvy, Bashsea, Royal Exclusiv -Direct sunlight- In wall w/ IKEA fishroom basement sump build

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start applying pressure to Felix and let him know about his missed dates previously and how you feel you’ve waited long enough and he needs to have it to you by a certain time. You’ve waited long enough.

mdavis52585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had something. Still in a holding pattern waiting on Reef Savvy. I have been told I am in the batch of tanks that currently are starting production but I don’t know what to believe any more.

Im not pleased with how long this took. Ill post some mini updates on a week or two as I’m going to have some useful things to add to the build. Hopefully at that time I will have more info on the tank. :/
Have you had any luck getting hold of Felix lately? I am in the same boat as you. I put down a deposit on a Reef Savvy tank in October 2020 and haven’t heard anything in months. Just wanted to know if you have had any luck getting ahold of anyone over there.

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clarkjw2002 aren’t you in the same boat? I saw you purchased yours dec 2020

Yes. I talked to Felix last Dec. They've had issues getting equipment and glass because suppliers they trusted went out of business. I believe he was setting up his own cutting and polishing shop to have a little more control. If he's pumping out tanks now then perhaps he's finally up and running.

I think part of the issue with my tank was wanting a blacked out back w/ external overflow. Hard to get smoked glass in that size and, without it, you couldn't black out the overflow portion of the back. So I switched to having the overflow on a short side so he could use a 3ft piece of smoked glass instead of a 6.5ft piece that would need to be thicker. Have never gotten confirmation that this change was accepted though.

I'm not in much of a hurry as I don't really plan to start the move until next Spring. Would be nice to get the tank in the house though before the drywall and finishing goes up.

My biggest worry is that he will need to raise the total cost by 20% or something because everything costs more. I locked this in early in hopes of beating inflation (everything else for the build is purchased, including stockpiles of salt). I expected a year wait, but not two or more. Here's hoping I have it by this Christmas!

Going to keep tabs here too.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first part is to address one challenge with this build, one which has conflicting information out there: Direct sunlight.

Unfortunately, due to the way the house is built, orientation, and a ton of other factors, the in-wall tank hole had to go where it is now. No way around it. But I also didn't really think too hard about things during the design stage. The result is that the tank will be hit with up to 3 hours of direct sunlight during the late afternoons during some parts of the year, and no sunlight at other parts of the year. No, there is nothing I can do about it. No, I cannot put in window shades. The living room is "loft style" with ridiculously high ceilings. Here is a picture of the issue, and all the "walls" of the living room look like this so there is no avoiding the sunlight.

IMG_4074.JPG

So in a way, I am about to do a small experiment on whether direct sunlight, in and of itself, has a detrimental effect on the tank (outside of heat gain and photospectrum for potential algae growth)
It doesn't. I try to get as much sun into my tank as possible. If you have a well balanced system whites do not bring more algae by themselves. I run my whites alone at 80% blues at 100% and two coral plus t5s.

Whites are your friend.. not to mention you can actually appreciate fish more when they're not drowning in blue light.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any luck getting hold of Felix lately? I am in the same boat as you. I put down a deposit on a Reef Savvy tank in October 2020 and haven’t heard anything in months. Just wanted to know if you have had any luck getting ahold of anyone over there.
Yes, I have been able to talk to him. We talked last week or the week before, which is when he assured me I am in the wave of tanks he is currently starting. Prior to that, I had been able to reach him maybe once a month for an update.

I am trying to get an update this week or next. Flying down to Florida for April break this weekend and was joking with my wife we should drop by and see how things are going :)

Yea, I had heard of all of the delays that occurred last year and how they were out of his hands. Really sucks that this occurred. But he is producing tanks now. He posted a wave of updates on his Facebook page in December.

It doesn't. I try to get as much sun into my tank as possible. If you have a well balanced system whites do not bring more algae by themselves. I run my whites alone at 80% blues at 100% and two coral plus t5s.

Whites are your friend.. not to mention you can actually appreciate fish more when they're not drowning in blue light.
That's great to hear! My last "practice tank" was getting hit with direct sunlight and I blamed that for its poor condition. In reality it was my laziness and unstable parameters that doomed it :(

mdavis52585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have been able to talk to him. We talked last week or the week before, which is when he assured me I am in the wave of tanks he is currently starting. Prior to that, I had been able to reach him maybe once a month for an update.

I am trying to get an update this week or next. Flying down to Florida for April break this weekend and was joking with my wife we should drop by and see how things are going :)

Yea, I had heard of all of the delays that occurred last year and how they were out of his hands. Really sucks that this occurred. But he is producing tanks now. He posted a wave of updates on his Facebook page in December.

That's great to hear! My last "practice tank" was getting hit with direct sunlight and I blamed that for its poor condition. In reality it was my laziness and unstable parameters that doomed it :(
Thanks for the update! To talk with him do you just call into their office until you get through to someone or do you find another method works best. Sounds like you have had better luck than me getting ahold of him. Sounds like we should be in the next wave of tanks at least!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as plumbing mistakes.. LOL..
You see anything wrong with this picture?

IMG_4055.JPG

... Yes, I forgot to put the screw on couplings that attach both sides of the T to the Cepex valves.. Unbelievable!! I was being so careful too. So I ordered the new slip couplings, and made sure I plumbed them correctly when they arrived, then I proceeded to plumb the rest of the mixing station. I was, of course very careful not to repeat the same mistake again.
BUT--

IMG_4057.JPG

You have GOT to be kidding me.. Yes.. I did it AGAIN. Immediately after fixing the exact same mistake below! I cannot even begin to comprehend how I repeated the mistake. And to make matters worse, there was a second place above this where I had likewise messed up. I ended up just cutting these pieces and making the stub shorter, scavenging couplings from a couple new Cepex valves I had, and fixing the mistakes.

What epic fails.
I'm very happy to see that Someone else, has done this, not once, Twice, Back to Back..

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RS tank took three years from deposit date but it’s worth the wait. I ordered mine in 2016 and think it was early 2019 when it arrived.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very happy to see that Someone else, has done this, not once, Twice, Back to Back..
LOL .. Glad I wasn't alone .. ahaha

My RS tank took three years from deposit date but it’s worth the wait. I ordered mine in 2016 and think it was early 2019 when it arrived.
I sure as *&# hope it isn't that long. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and I haven't hit 2 years yet..

Zombeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, am following this with all the details. I don't even have my RS on order quite yet but it'll be over a year before I move in to renovated house anyway. I'm not in a hurry since there is so much going on including selling one house next year and moving everything from Virginia to Maine, so that'll give me lot's of time to plan for things.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, am following this with all the details. I don't even have my RS on order quite yet but it'll be over a year before I move in to renovated house anyway. I'm not in a hurry since there is so much going on including selling one house next year and moving everything from Virginia to Maine, so that'll give me lot's of time to plan for things.
My advice, if you absolutely must have a RS tank, would be to order now. I am at two years right now which is beyond ridiculous and all the indications are that new orders have similar wait times. I am at the stage where I can honestly say I would not choose to do this again until the wait times are one year or less.

mdavis52585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice, if you absolutely must have a RS tank, would be to order now. I am at two years right now which is beyond ridiculous and all the indications are that new orders have similar wait times. I am at the stage where I can honestly say I would not choose to do this again until the wait times are one year or less.
Same here. I am just about two years on my order and no end in sight still. Definitely order now if you want a RS!

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats unreal. Im sure it will be a beautifully built tank when you get it! I'm waiting on a sump from Melevs reef, 5 months since payment. I thought that was a long wait. Can't imagine a 2 year wait.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start applying pressure to Felix and let him know about his missed dates previously and how you feel you’ve waited long enough and he needs to have it to you by a certain time. You’ve waited long enough.
He would likely just cancel the build and refund the deposit. My RS tank took two years and it was definitely worth the wait.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Nice build. No way on earth I'd wait this long for reef savvy. How wildly unprofessional. You are a very patient person.

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I just started reading this whole post, I can't imagine this kind of wait. I ordered a miracles 84x36x27 in January and was called last week that it was ready. Unfortunately my new house is a year in now but still at least 4 months from completion so I asked miracles to hold the tank for a while till house is closer to done. My Synergy sump was ordered in March but no word from them yet.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back