Old Apex Classic and no wifi

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older model APex Classic and an EB8 and no head unit.

Can I connect it to a computer just to program it, then take the cord off so it is not going across the floor? I used to have a way to connect directly to the router but that is problematic in my current home and I would rather not run 35 feet of cable for aesthetic reasons.

I have had 0 luck with the older Apex and wifi so I would rather not use that.

I will just be using the Apex as a timer to control my powerheads, protein skimmer, and neck cleaner. If my temp probe still works I will install that as well but I already have redundancy there, and just about everywhere else. Really just want to set up a better program for the 3 powerheads and the protein skimmer neck cleaner.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suggest trying this?

1611695990044.png

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is not that there is no signal, it is just that my old unit can not seem to keep a connection. I have a router 12 feet from the tank, it is just on the other side of the room.

I have tried something before where I hard wired in the Apex using a system that incorporated my homes electrical wires, that worked well. Since I don't need wifi access for the timers I am hoping the unit will keep a program not being connected to the internet at all, except when I am programming it.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, you can do that. Once programmed, the Apex will continue to run and control the outputs as programmed even without a network connection.

However, one of the biggest benefits of the Apex is its ability to alert you of problems, and without a network connection or Display module, you will have no way to receive any alarm notifications. I agree with the above posts that a simple WiFi adapter is effective and many Apex Classic owners use them successfully.

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi presence is not the problem. The older Apex's just drop signal to often. I actually have a very nice router close to the tank. I just don't wanna run the wire to it. Opposite sides of the room
you will be using the wifi extender as a "hard wired" router I use one on 3 different Apex classics (a classic, a lite, and a jr) I have had zero issues dropping the signal

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi presence is not the problem. The older Apex's just drop signal to often. I actually have a very nice router close to the tank. I just don't wanna run the wire to it. Opposite sides of the room
The classic Apex is not wireless, I'm not sure if you are understanding of that or not from your posts. The wifi extender acts to replace the ethernet cable from the router to the Apex unit therefore making it "wireless".

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, you can do that. Once programmed, the Apex will continue to run and control the outputs as programmed even without a network connection.

However, one of the biggest benefits of the Apex is its ability to alert you of problems, and without a network connection or Display module, you will have no way to receive any alarm notifications. I agree with the above posts that a simple WiFi adapter is effective and many Apex Classic owners use them successfully.
Thank you.

I'm not to keen on the alerts. With how everything else is at this point there is nothing I would really need them for. The only times I had it set up with wifi that I would have liked an alert, is when the house lost power and, it wasn't able to send one without power. Oh well.

For my current tank, I am really just interested in the timer aspect of it.

Appreciate your help.

Sidenote- where in Oregon are you? I was up in the Portland area for about 12 years. Loved it and the club up there.

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Bryknicks is saying, the extender can be plugged in near your tank. You'll plug in an ethernet cable from the extender to your apex head unit and essentially be plugged into your network without the cable running across the room

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The classic Apex is not wireless, I'm not sure if you are understanding of that or not from your posts. The wifi extender acts to replace the ethernet cable from the router to the Apex unit therefore making it "wireless".
I understand that. I ran it for many years. Just not interested in doing it that way now. No real need for it to be online for my purpose.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I'm not to keen on the alerts. With how everything else is at this point there is nothing I would really need them for. The only times I had it set up with wifi that I would have liked an alert, is when the house lost power and, it wasn't able to send one without power. Oh well.

For my current tank, I am really just interested in the timer aspect of it.

Appreciate your help.

Sidenote- where in Oregon are you? I was up in the Portland area for about 12 years. Loved it and the club up there.
I'm in Beaverton on Cooper Mountain where it happens to be snowing for the first time this year! I'm a Board Member for the PNWMAS club. Yes, it's a great group of people! My local shops are Cuttlefish, Paradise Corals, Upscales, and All Things Aquarium.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Beaverton on Cooper Mountain where it happens to be snowing for the first time this year! I'm a Board Member for the PNWMAS club. Yes, it's a great group of people! My local shops are Cuttlefish, Paradise Corals, Upscales, and All Things Aquarium.
Nice! I lived in Beaverton for a long time. I'm in Southern California now, where it has also been snowing oddly enough. Miss it up there.

I was a mod/board member/President in various roles for about 10 years up there.

Thanks for the help.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back