Older Zebra Eel not eating

RachaelMD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lab I intern for has a zebra eel in one of its reef tanks that I am in charge of. It is an older eel between 10-15 years and it has not visibly eaten in 2 weeks. It generally eats mole crabs. I tried some jumbo shrimp, which it got excited about and shredded and protected it, but did not seem to eat. What other foods might it be interested in? Is there anything that may be causing this disinterest in food besides age? I have checked the pH 8-8.5 and it does not seem to have any other behavioral changes besides the lack of interest in food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So the lab I intern for has a zebra eel in one of its reef tanks that I am in charge of. It is an older eel between 10-15 years and it has not visibly eaten in 2 weeks. It generally eats mole crabs. I tried some jumbo shrimp, which it got excited about and shredded and protected it, but did not seem to eat. What other foods might it be interested in? Is there anything that may be causing this disinterest in food besides age? I have checked the pH 8-8.5 and it does not seem to have any other behavioral changes besides the lack of interest in food.
At times they shut down with feeding if they ate larger portions or constipated
As you know, they’re messy housekeepers- test ammonia and nitrate to assure not elevated

OP
OP
RachaelMD13

RachaelMD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times they shut down with feeding if they ate larger portions or constipated
As you know, they’re messy housekeepers- test ammonia and nitrate to assure not elevated
It has not eaten anything larger/more than normal. I checked the ammonia and it was near 0. I am dealing with a high phosphate issue at the moment (did not know when I originally posted) would that cause issues?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It has not eaten anything larger/more than normal. I checked the ammonia and it was near 0. I am dealing with a high phosphate issue at the moment (did not know when I originally posted) would that cause issues?
High phosphate mainly impacts coral but can have effect on aquatic animals if very high
What test kits are you using for ammonia?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use an API marine test kit
That was what I suspected. There are some that have success with this kit but its notorious for false readings and your levels may be higher than you realize. I will not use this kit to sustain almost $2000 of fish in my tank. Hanna and Salifert is good.
I suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api kits and see what readings they come up with.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back