Once a day feedings

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish will live fine being fed once a day?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of fish will survive on once a day feeding.

Anything that says with caution under reef safe should definitely not be.

You can also add an automatic feeder. Set to a low setting that adds a couple pellets between your daily feeding.

I cheat a little, some frozen falls apart slower than others.

San Francisco angle diet takes about 6 hours to completely fall apart. When i wont be home i through one in my IM defroster before i leave. It slowly feeds while i am at work.

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish will live fine being fed once a day?
I fed my clown and chromis like once a day for a good 2 years. Some times I feed them every 3 days. They are tiny 2.5 years later but in the last few months I starting heavy feeding now that my system is mature

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of what I've seemed to read so far leads me to believe that fish who need to eat multiple times are the exception not the norm, but with that said I only really look at the more easy to care for fish because I know I don't want to commit to multiple feedings daily.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the usual fish except for open water zooplankton feeders like anthias will be fine

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the usual fish except for open water zooplankton feeders like anthias will be fine
Exactly.

Lol, anthias was the first fish I thought of.

Most any carnivore besides a mandarin or dragonettes should be fine.
In the wild they get fed when they can find a meal.

Lol, Just don't turn it into feeding a Boa constrictor once a month.
[emoji6]

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly.

Lol, anthias was the first fish I thought of.

Most any carnivore besides a mandarin or dragonettes should be fine.
In the wild they get fed when they can find a meal.

Lol, Just don't turn it into feeding a Boa constrictor once a month.
[emoji6]
So tangs, clowns, cardinalfish, and similar are fine.
I should stick to open water grazers and smaller species that stick to the rock work.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can blue green chromis be fed once a day

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can blue green Chromis be fed once a day

Get a school, feed them lightly once a day, and pretty soon you will likely have one Chromis to feed once a day. Hungry fish generally will be more aggressive towards each other. The other side of the equation is that fish can survive on very small rations (subsistence ration) for a very long time. They cannot grow with low enough energy input, and technically they are being deprived, but fish are wired to last without much food.

I rarely see gaunt fish in public aquaria, but I often see plump overfed fish in these tanks. In the wild, gaunt fish get eaten while healthy fish are generally robust yet lean. My fish get fed once a day, and they graze constantly on whatever they can find. I do need to replenish my cuc more often than I would like.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not view tangs as sustainable on a single daily feeding. They are poor metabolizers (most herbivores are) and are used to grazing almost continuously. I've seen way too many skinny tangs with various HLLE progression in underfed tanks. I have to feed mine at least three times a day to maintain a healthy body weight. Anthias, chromis will qinnow themselves down to a single individual unless fed frequently.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any fish will be fine feeding once a day. Some fish need to graze all day like algae bleenies and some tangs. Mandarins. pipefish and seahorses need more food but the vast majority can be fed once a day and if you miss a couple of days, they will still be fine. But in a mature tank there is always food. A new tank should be fed at least once a day. I have 27 year old clownfish that eat once a day and all the rest of my fish. Many years old only eat once a day including the anthius. But as I said, my tank is mature.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back