One 8ft or two 4ft tanks?

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new build to replace my current 5ft 100gallon display and would love some advice. The back wall in the picture below is where I would like to put my new display(s). It's a 12ft wall with a 4ft window in the middle. I've already designed a system that would have two 4ft tanks on each side of the window with a single 8ft sump/fuge that could fit under the window and be shared by both tanks. This, however, doesn't solve my desire to keep larger fish that need more swimming room than a 4ft or 5ft can accommodate.

So....I'm debating putting a single 8ft or 9ft tank in front of the window that you see on the back wall. The window doesn't open and is covered with shutters, so I'm not too worried about light leaking in. Plus, the back of the tank will be black. I'm just concerned how it will look in front of the window. Any experience or pictures that anyone can share?

IMG_3322.jpeg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new build to replace my current 5ft 100gallon display and would love some advice. The back wall in the picture below is where I would like to put my new display(s). It's a 12ft wall with a 4ft window in the middle. I've already designed a system that would have two 4ft tanks on each side of the window with a single 8ft sump/fuge that could fit under the window and be shared by both tanks. This, however, doesn't solve my desire to keep larger fish that need more swimming room than a 4ft or 5ft can accommodate.

So....I'm debating putting a single 8ft or 9ft tank in front of the window that you see on the back wall. The window doesn't open and is covered with shutters, so I'm not too worried about light leaking in. Plus, the back of the tank will be black. I'm just concerned how it will look in front of the window. Any experience or pictures that anyone can share?

IMG_3322.jpeg
I don't have pictures/relevant experience plus your question is almost entirely centered on opinion, but I say go with the single 8ft tank and center it under the window arch. The extra swimming space in one tank will be needed, especially since you mentioned interest in larger fish.

When I was planning my build at the very start, I intended to use a linked system with 90g and 75g 4ft tanks side-by-side with a 75g sump. After finding an excellent deal on some 125g 6ft tanks, I changed plans to double-stacked 125g tanks. I must say that I am glad I changed my plans, as I think the wider tank system is both a better visual and a simpler system overall (rather than multiple tanks connected together beyond just display/sump; it can be done but is not as simple as 2-tank pair for display/sump).

My build is not finished to see how it looks, and I don't have a window arch over where my tank will go in my living room, but I think your setup would look wonderful with an 8ft tank centered under your window arch. Just my opinion...

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with an 8 or 9 foot tank if you want larger fish. As far as the window, if it gets direct sunlight even with the shutters you are going to get radiant heat. Something to consider.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or, why not consider a 12ft tank to cover the whole wall? All the better for having space for larger fish and more system volume!
Obviously, this would add to the cost, but it might help avoid the desire for an upgrade in the near future.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with two 4’ tanks, you could set up two tanks as different systems. Think of an acropora tank for one and maybe a lagoon tank for another or a for Caribbean divers a reef top system with piles of gorgonians.

But for most uses an 10’ system allows a greater range of fish and even a variation in topography and corals. But this option would probably require more $$$$$.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3322.jpeg

As a painter/decorater/ handyman looking around 4hrs work to cover that arched window internally, couple of lengths of 2x1" (inch). Plasterboard and skim proberbly £20 in materials, this keeps your window available for future with minimal damage, d.i.y. job or £80-£100 to employ to finish. (Unsure of prices in your area)
Say £150-£200 then your back wall is now whole/no window.... no problems ,

If you desire big fish then I think this is an easy fix to blank out your wall

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: What's happening with the existing tank on the left and how much space is on that wall?

I'm looking at your office and I don't like the idea of covering that arched window. Just a different thought: something like two Red Sea 200s on either side housing jellyfish and seahorses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

@ZombieEngineer: In talking with ReefSavvy, anything over 132" would add significant cost due to the fact the glass sheets come in that size. So, I'd be looking at nearly 9.5ft as the max length.

@Rick's Reviews: I love the idea of just covering up the window with drywall from the inside. Great idea! Now, the problem of finding a reliable handyman around here :confounded-face:

@PatW : My original thoughts were to have two different displays to provide flexibility of various species, but I'm trying to be honest with myself and realize I'm always going to want the option for larger fish or simply more space so I have less aggression.

@blaxsun: the RedSea 525 that is in the room right now would go away and my desk would be moved forward and centered in the room.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the great responses. @blaxsun: the RedSea 525 that is in the room right now would go away and my desk would be moved forward and centered in the room.
What's behind the two blue chairs? I'm assuming a door on the left and possibly a closet behind the doors.

One thing to consider with a tank that big is logistics, ie: more RO capacity, water changes, etc. I have a 750XXL (6 feet) and quite a bit of my office is dedicated to the tank.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

@ZombieEngineer: In talking with ReefSavvy, anything over 132" would add significant cost due to the fact the glass sheets come in that size. So, I'd be looking at nearly 9.5ft as the max length.

@Rick's Reviews: I love the idea of just covering up the window with drywall from the inside. Great idea! Now, the problem of finding a reliable handyman around here :confounded-face:

@PatW : My original thoughts were to have two different displays to provide flexibility of various species, but I'm trying to be honest with myself and realize I'm always going to want the option for larger fish or simply more space so I have less aggression.

@blaxsun: the RedSea 525 that is in the room right now would go away and my desk would be moved forward and centered in the room.
I'm thinking from the responses here that the best option would be a simple drywall cover over the window (if anything at all) and a 10ft tank (still under your listed 132" limit; not sure I understand why your limit is 9.5ft?; IMO go as large as possible for reasonable cost) is the way to go.

What's behind the two blue chairs? I'm assuming a door on the left and possibly a closet behind the doors.

One thing to consider with a tank that big is logistics, ie: more RO capacity, water changes, etc. I have a 750XXL (6 feet) and quite a bit of my office is dedicated to the tank.
This is a good point. Do you have room elsewhere for a remote fish room?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough one, personally (sorry I'm in UK, if you was my neighbour I would do it for a couple of beers lol)
I would personally, go for 2 X 4ft (still cover the window as heat could penetrate from behind, blackout blind, or window tints
Good luck and look forward to your build

OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From where the picture is taken (behind blue the chairs), is the entry to the room. I will have to start planning for the logistics for sure. I'm already using those cabinets that you see on the back wall right now for equipment. I have my RO container, dosers, and calcium reactor (plus co2) in the cabinet on the left and have a half dozen 1/4" RO lines running to/from the sump and the cabinet.

For the new build, I could do equipment on the wall where the 5ft tank is now. I'm sure the wife will want to put some sort of furniture there once the tank is gone and I could do something similar for the low hanging filtration/supplementation.

I am going to try and improve on my water change system with the new tank, so I'll add that to the list.

I'm thinking from the responses here that the best option would be a simple drywall cover over the window (if anything at all) and a 10ft tank (still under your listed 132" limit; not sure I understand why your limit is 9.5ft?; IMO go as large as possible for reasonable cost) is the way to go.

This is a good point. Do you have room elsewhere for a remote fish room?

Yeah, clearly I'm not doing math correctly today. Regardless, I would go as big as I could while still using glass and not having to go too crazy with price. Unfortunately, the only place that would work reasonably for a remote fish room would be outside which would probably exceed my wife's flexibility :).

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From where the picture is taken (behind blue the chairs), is the entry to the room. I will have to start planning for the logistics for sure. I'm already using those cabinets that you see on the back wall right now for equipment. I have my RO container, dosers, and calcium reactor (plus co2) in the cabinet on the left and have a half dozen 1/4" RO lines running to/from the sump and the cabinet.

For the new build, I could do equipment on the wall where the 5ft tank is now. I'm sure the wife will want to put some sort of furniture there once the tank is gone and I could do something similar for the low hanging filtration/supplementation.

I am going to try and improve on my water change system with the new tank, so I'll add that to the list.

Yeah, clearly I'm not doing math correctly today. Regardless, I would go as big as I could while still using glass and not having to go too crazy with price. Unfortunately, the only place that would work reasonably for a remote fish room would be outside which would probably exceed my wife's flexibility :).
As long as possible is how I would do it. I'm not sure I'd even be concerned about covering the window personally, but my experience is limited and it depends on how difficult it would be to maintain the heat addition from the slight light coming through the shade gaps. You may need a chiller for a large tank in Texas.

It is actually a good thing the limit is 132", since you need the tank to be smaller than the full length in order to move it into position. 11ft would fit both your space/room and the glass sheet limits, but you will probably appreciate the extra clearances if you go with a 10ft tank instead. The space where your current tank is as well as space in the cabinet/sump area under your tank should be enough of a fish room, although a remote fish room seems to me to always be a great help when possible.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back