One clowns not looking so good. Need advice

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had the best luck with clownfish for some reason. I recently purchased 2 new clowns and one is perfectly fine, the other however has been breathing rapidly since I got him in the tank and it gets worse at times. He swam around with the other clown the first day, then the second day he found a spot between a rock and a wall that he is just laying in on he sand. Occasionally he will swim up for a few seconds and then go back to the sand. There are no spots or red gills or anything and no mucus sloughing off, but his eyes do seem to be bulging a little now. The other clown and firefish are happy and eating like little pigs. Could this just be stress?
Parameters are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, ph 8.1, calcium 460, and salinity 1.024.
20200520_182020.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would consider is a freshwater dip to either confirm or eliminate flukes as the cause of the rapid breathing.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to set up a hospital tank for treatment? I definitely second the freshwater dip, do it in a dark bottom container, use freshwater with temp and pH matched. You can use a very small amount of tank water or new saltwater to raise pH until it matches. I'd leave them in there for 15-20 minutes or until they start looking lethargic, clowns can usually handle dips of this length with relative ease.

Once that is done, move on from there with treatment or more diagnoses.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's impossible to say from the photo what exactly is wrong but for certain something is wrong. Also, it is certainly not stress. If you are at all able to setup a QT I'd separate him. A formalin/ruby reef rally dip is where I would start. If no rally dip available maybe paraguard bath?

If not able to QT and treat I would QT if only to prevent him from infecting your other fish.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I see you have a post from 9 days ago with two clowns, one having issues then. Is this the same or different clown? What happened to the first pair of clowns?

OP
OP
TheStricklins

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I see you have a post from 9 days ago with two clowns, one having issues then. Is this the same or different clown? What happened to the first pair of clowns?
Lol no I replied to someone else's post about their tail rot. I just got these guys sunday. I'm going to FW dip and set up a separate tank to monitor. I'm going to have to get some medication because I dont have any at the moment.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any poop from the affected fish or the other clown? If you have seen any white stringy poop then they may have some internal parasites that could be upsetting it.

Seachem Metroplex and Hikari Prazipro are both good ones to keep on hand for emergencies. I would suggest picking both up next time you go to your LFS, they can be invaluable if you come across something like this again.

OP
OP
TheStricklins

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any poop from the affected fish or the other clown? If you have seen any white stringy poop then they may have some internal parasites that could be upsetting it.

Seachem Metroplex and Hikari Prazipro are both good ones to keep on hand for emergencies. I would suggest picking both up next time you go to your LFS, they can be invaluable if you come across something like this again.
I did notice whitish poop from the affected fish but it wasn't stringy. I'm going to get both of those I just hope my lfs has it. Unfortunately where I live they do not have very much in the store. I actually got these little guys from a place almost 2 hours away.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back