One possible cause of WiFi connection problems with P4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some problems with two P4 and their WiFi connection at my job. It have been slow and sometimes I had problems with the connection to MyGHL. A month ago I solved the problem with slow connection when we are "in house". I use the internal web page in the P4. As it is now - we have a very slow internet connection to my workplace - we use the 4G network - we can´t expect fast connection to myGHL but we should expect fast connection inside our network. Internal - we use an ASUS router in order to create an "in house" wifi Network. The distances between the P4 and the wifi router is short - 5 - 6 m but there is very much electric noise in the part where we have the temporary aquariums. It works with a charm - fast connections and stable - but only for a while.........

Last week - I got slow and intermittent connections to the P4 that´s was placed 6 m away (the other 4 m away). Its start when I start another P3.1 in a new system. I could not see the connections between this two events. After a day or two - its start to work well again but yesterday it was worse than ever. I track down the problem to be on the WiFi side because the internal web pages of our P3:s works fast and reliable. I could not access the internal webpage from my PC (that use a thread connection to my router) but I could access both P4:s through myGHL. Talk about understanding nothing. To be sure that the internal web page not was corrupt - I reinstall latest update - still the same problem. The ASUS router is an Asus RT-AC68U and brand new. After looking for the fault at the profilux side of the problem - I start to look on the router side. Could it be some settings that cause this problem. I start to seek in the setup page in the router. In advanced - wireless settings I found this (the example is from my own router ASUS Blue Cave) in the red marking

1615884967065.png

I deactivated the roaming assistant - and voila - it works as a charm again

1615885148739.png

This was an ASUS router but I´m rather sure that you can find the same settings in other routers,

Edit - maybe this is the problem with some mesh networks - the RSSI is set in a way that the system stop to roam the signal. I do not use my router as a part of a mesh network. Neither an expert of mesh networks

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some problems with two P4 and their WiFi connection at my job. It have been slow and sometimes I had problems with the connection to MyGHL. A month ago I solved the problem with slow connection when we are "in house". I use the internal web page in the P4. As it is now - we have a very slow internet connection to my workplace - we use the 4G network - we can´t expect fast connection to myGHL but we should expect fast connection inside our network. Internal - we use an ASUS router in order to create an "in house" wifi Network. The distances between the P4 and the wifi router is short - 5 - 6 m but there is very much electric noise in the part where we have the temporary aquariums. It works with a charm - fast connections and stable - but only for a while.........

Last week - I got slow and intermittent connections to the P4 that´s was placed 6 m away (the other 4 m away). Its start when I start another P3.1 in a new system. I could not see the connections between this two events. After a day or two - its start to work well again but yesterday it was worse than ever. I track down the problem to be on the WiFi side because the internal web pages of our P3:s works fast and reliable. I could not access the internal webpage from my PC (that use a thread connection to my router) but I could access both P4:s through myGHL. Talk about understanding nothing. To be sure that the internal web page not was corrupt - I reinstall latest update - still the same problem. The ASUS router is an Asus RT-AC68U and brand new. After looking for the fault at the profilux side of the problem - I start to look on the router side. Could it be some settings that cause this problem. I start to seek in the setup page in the router. In advanced - wireless settings I found this (the example is from my own router ASUS Blue Cave) in the red marking

1615884967065.png

I deactivated the roaming assistant - and voila - it works as a charm again

1615885148739.png

This was an ASUS router but I´m rather sure that you can find the same settings in other routers,

Edit - maybe this is the problem with some mesh networks - the RSSI is set in a way that the system stop to roam the signal. I do not use my router as a part of a mesh network. Neither an expert of mesh networks

Sincerely Lasse
Hi Lasse,

For sure the P4 does not like Mesh Networks. I bought a mesh WiFi router for a reason and I'm not willing to disable it at my house. Not sure if you've seen my thread. Lots of network troubleshooting. In the end I solved my problem by buying a cheap 2.5ghz access point and plugging it in close to the tank. Since then... all my problems went away.

Ben

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know but I would check my mesh networks configuration - if there is a roaming limit for a certain low signal - it maybe is enough to check the signals strength in the P4 and configure the roaming signal to accept the strengths of the P4 signal. Both routers there I found this are routers that can be driven as mesh routers. Never seen this configuration post in a non mesh (able) ASUS router. And roaming make sense with mesh networks.

In my case - when its only affect the local network it probably stop the roaming between the WiFi and the RJ45 network - but let it pass through to the wan (no roaming). In a mesh network - there is roaming between the nodes (at least I think so) and it could also affect the wan connection.

Only my 2 cents

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse,

For sure the P4 does not like Mesh Networks. I bought a mesh WiFi router for a reason and I'm not willing to disable it at my house. Not sure if you've seen my thread. Lots of network troubleshooting. In the end I solved my problem by buying a cheap 2.5ghz access point and plugging it in close to the tank. Since then... all my problems went away.

Ben
I have a Google mesh network.,No problems.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 RBR850 mesh, no issues. In fact, it's the most stable connection I ever had, and I connect via GHL Connect app on my iPhone, myGHL from work on my desktop, and when home I log into the local pages on the P4 and my two LX-7206 lights from both my Mac desktop and iPhone with the app.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my GCC in the communication tab

1615970767631.png

From my own ASUS router

1615970955923.png

Here is no problem but in the case at my work - the ASUS router had the same configuration as my home router but the signal strength in my two P4 was lower (around -71 dBm) and I could not contact them through the internal website or the TCP/IP client in GCC- both this connection need a "roaming" between WiFI and ethernet (RJ45) connection in the router but I was able to connect with MyGHL (probably a tunnel trough the router)

By inactivate the Roamin assistant in my no mesh network - I got it to work even with the internal webpages

A mesh network is build on roaming

There is - as you can see in these post above - conflicting experiences with mesh networks of different types - for me - it indicate that it could be a configuring issue. Maybe my foundings in my network can give an idea where to do a troubleshooting with a mesh network that´s not accepting the P4 WiFi. If it is as simple like this - that the mesh network just disable sources with to low dBm - an adjusting of the configuration may help. I do not know if I´m right or not - but my findings may give an entrance to solve problems with P4 wifi and mesh networks

Sincerely Lasse

Back