One thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

Have you ever made a decision that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 254 82.2%
  • NO

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made the difference was keep nutrients levels steady and and bit higher than the normal.
20211014_223346.jpg

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the seventies we used a big bio-filter with stages, first stage mechanical filtration, second stage sand (remineralisation filter ), third shell grit, fourth stage GAC. Removing the sand in stage two and use shell grit in stage 2 and 3 as a substrate for the remineralisation filter has turned our seawater system into a stable living environment until today.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one time there was a dirty sandbed and we cleaned it and the owner was happy

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only do any tank or equipment maintenance sober now. No more bumping into corals making unwanted frags or dropping T5 bulbs onto the hickory floors.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been dosing yellowsno? Why did you not choose to use PNS live strain?
I've been using both for a little over 6 months now. I recently moved and upgraded my tank and used the PNS Substrate sauce during the cycle. Probio is a live bacteria.

I remember in primary school when I first started with freshwater in Europe, all the LFS's would always give us a red/brown bacteria from Sera(Sera bio nitrivec) to dose weekly and it smelt BAD lol. I had an "aha" moment after watching the video below thinking "that's the stuff I used on my tanks as a kid". Remembering why my freshwater tanks always thrived despite me being in middle school and not knowing much at the time. So I thought id give it a try, and luckily it worked out for me. I understand this is very anecdotal and I don't know if these are the same types of bacteria but it really worked out for my system.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of info on PNS now is annecdotal so do not worry about that. I have seen and read some stories about feeding at same time is beneficial too.

Do you know if the live PNS will grow with a carbon source? Dr Tim products have an approach that Eco Balance is incorporated in bacteria and fed every other day. I am starting that after no changes in 6 months.

john2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, leave it alone! Quit trying to place corals in the perfect spot, make a promise to not do anything for at least 30 days except clean the glass and feed the fish

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate them daily, one day YellowSNO and the next Probio ...etc. I noticed a boost of microfauna growth. Various sponges, inverts, copepods started almost appearing out of nowhere lol. (They were probably already in my system but they started rapidly growing within a few weeks but didnt notice until about 6-8 weeks after first starting to dose)

Not to mention polyp extension from the corals. The most noticeable things was rapid growth of coralline algae and extreme water clarity. I don't
have a filter sock or anything similar. The system filters on an ATS and a lot of Bio media. Usually when using an ATS it is expected that the water wont be as clear, which I actually prefer. But the PNS products achieved very clear water. Sure the PNS products are costly but personally I would rather spend on these 2 products regularly, without having to spend on anything else. Except fish and coral. I will post pics soon!
Yes, pics please! :)

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the live PNS will grow with a carbon source? Dr Tim products have an approach that Eco Balance is incorporated in bacteria and fed every other day. I am starting that after no changes in 6 months.
Preferred carbon source depends upon the species. The species in PNS ProBio (Rhodopseudomonas palustris) can utilize nearly all carbon sources--grows poorly on sugars, moderately on alcohols and very well on acetate (i.e. vinegar). Also grows well on Polyhydroxybutyrates (PHBs) such as those used to make biopellets (in fact these microbes can synthesize PHB to stockpile as a reserve food source). Most interestingly, unlike most bacteria, they're capable of degrading and consuming cellulose (such as the dead cell walls of algae) which makes up a good deal of detritus in many reef tanks.

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all want a better reef tank! We want it to look better, be healthier and grow faster. As reef keepers we sometimes make mistakes that deter us from that goal but other times we make a good move that improves our reef tank. Some of the things we do has also worked for others, while other things might not work as well. What was it for you? Let's talk about it today!

What was one thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

TELL US ABOUT IT!

Image via our Reef Of The Month @Bacon505
Progression.jpeg
This is so colorfully gorgeous I don't even care if I just used bad grammar! I can only aspire to this when I (and hopefully my tank) grow up!

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
made the decision to get a “dolabella” sea hare instead of using reef flux to combat my bryopsis/colonial hydroids on a specific rock.
I don't understand a lot of what is said in code, science and abbreviation around here, but you completely lost me after "made the decision..." Can someone please publish a companion glossary for us noobs to have next to us while we read posts?

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reminded myself to take my time!
I stink at bring patient sometimes, as many eager new reefers are.
Good things come to those who wait. Creating and managing a whole mini ecosystem can't and won't happen overnight.
Guilty! I look over. They look happy (or worse, don't look happy). I want to make them happier... Mess with it some more. Have to remember, they need time to show me how happy they really are. I'm good at acclimating new ones to light over a matter off weeks. Somehow, I seem to completely forget about that when I make changes.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular/larger water changes. I started doing 25 percent on the first weekend of the month. Nearly all of the SPS colored up and are full of growth tips. And I don't have to go to the gym that day because I'm hauling ten 5 gallon containers on that day. LOL

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual nuisance algae removal and I originally got a clown fish, once I added my first firefish the clown would really harass it. But it all but stopped pretty much the moment I added a clownfish about half her size. Now they cuddle all through the night :)

sandys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank was plagued with cyanobacteria. We tried everything and it kept returning. I watched a diamond goby sifting sand at our local tropical fish store. I was really impressed and purchased him. Three days later our sand was sparkling white and we have not had a problem since.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back