Oops, I released an AEFW - HELP

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say mine love the Bayer dip. But I haven't seen much of a negative effect. I'm been dipping 11-12ml of Bayer to cup of tank water. My next dip will be more around 15ml to cup of tank water. What strength solution are you dipping with?
The scientific measurement I was mixing is defined as whole milk color [emoji4].

I can figure out the ratio tonight just have to measure the container and how much I typically put in.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip in Bayer also. What I really started doing that helped a lot is using a magnifying glass to thoroughly inspect all frags. Bite marks I throw them out.

Tyler mikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Lame answer" pray to the reef gods. and also people should be shot who sell coral that they know are sick. A case of AEFW almost made me give up on the hobby it was so draining trying to get em all. Use more bayer next time. I do 10ml per 4oz's tank water. Sorry to hear this.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip in Bayer also. What I really started doing that helped a lot is using a magnifying glass to thoroughly inspect all frags. Bite marks I throw them out.

I use a magnify glass but its not that easy on the eyes. The picture i posted of my eggs I couldnt make it out until I used a flashlight and took a picture with my camera phone. Check out the difference

0110182330a.jpg

0110182332b (1).jpg

Firedawg1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will AEFW just starve themselves out in a bare tank( no fish no corals)? I do have pods in the tank. They came in on chaeto.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will AEFW just starve themselves out in a bare tank( no fish no corals)? I do have pods in the tank. They came in on chaeto.

Yes, they did studies on them babies will starve fast and the largest adults 1-2week.. However, if they lay eggs those eggs will hatch in 2-3 weeks. Good news is babie flatworms will die fast. thats why they say leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks minimum

HerpN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this stuff? What's the normal dosage for dipping. Good luck I hope you have no problems...

Screenshot_20180308-084247.jpg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound dumb but I thought coral dip would kill all them anyway. I normally dip mine and leave them for
15 min

illumnae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I documented the start of my battle against aefw in this video. This is what you'll need to go through if you allow aefw into a fully grown in sps tank. I never want to repeat this experience again!

OP
OP
A4goulet

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this stuff? What's the normal dosage for dipping. Good luck I hope you have no problems...

Screenshot_20180308-084247.jpg
Yup that's it. Bayer complete insect. Looks like they changed the bottle a bit since I bought mine. I have been dipping 12ml of bayer per cup of tank water for 10 mins. Going to bump that up to 15ml per cup of tank water for 10 mins moving foward. I have heard of people dipping 20ml of Bayer to cup of tank water for 15 mins. I will probably start doing this dosage whem I start dipping incoming frags.

OP
OP
A4goulet

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound dumb but I thought coral dip would kill all them anyway. I normally dip mine and leave them for
15 min
The issue I have is I didnt create a strong dip solution of Bayer when I introduced my acro frags. After placing them in my tank and inspecting the frags I watched a AEFW fall off the frag and disappear in the live rock. After inspecting my dip container I had AEFW still alive and crawling around. So I am assuming the one I seen in the tank survived. A strong dip will kill them but it won't kill the eggs so multiple dips is required to break the life cycle.

OP
OP
A4goulet

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I documented the start of my battle against aefw in this video. This is what you'll need to go through if you allow aefw into a fully grown in sps tank. I never want to repeat this experience again!

Very nice set up and SPS colonies. I definitely got lucky I got them as early as I did when everthing are mostly frags. Going foward I will not be adding anything without proper quarantining. Best of luck with your AEFW battle.

FraghouseCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut em off there base, Dip strong, aggressively rinse in a couple buckets of salt water, inspect VERY good and most importantly put em in QT... that’s what you should do when you get new sps from ANY vendor!!! If there’s a spot you can’t see then glue it or cut it out... the eggs are the real battle, your dip should kill the AEFW pretty easy if your dipping correctly with the right concentration but those eggs will get past the dip and hatch and you’ll be back at square 1. If you already have them the best thing is to cut em off the base, remove any encrusting on rocks, dip twice a week for the first two weeks and then once a week for 6 weeks and most likely you’ll break the life cycle... it’s best to use a QT system while doing this because AEFW can kinda swim too, they usually stay put but when your taking out the acros to dip there’s a chance one could come off and avoid dip. AEFW are absolutely NO JOKE and it’s either you take an aggressive approach now or wait and loose it all to these spawn of the devil lol as a SELLER, it’s VERY dishonest to sell pest infested corals but it’s VERY COMMON... if I had AEFW I would shut my farm down until I knew I beat em. Vendors that sell pest infested frags are not good for the hobby and if I were the customer I would steer clear... a lot higher odds you’ll pick up the herps eventually.
SUPPORT PEST FREE VENDORS

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry lol I will dip like crazy those are just ewww. I’m not even found of bristle worms the good ones. There is even mixed reviews on if they are good or bad.

OP
OP
A4goulet

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry lol I will dip like crazy those are just ewww. I’m not even found of bristle worms the good ones. There is even mixed reviews on if they are good or bad.
Yeah, my understanding is most bristle warms are beneficial but when I first started in the hobby and found my first one in my tank, it gave me nightmare. I had dreams of them crawling out of the tank at night lol. Now I have nightmares of hobbit worms. I hope I never encounter on of those!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you mean bobbit worms named after lorraina bobbitt. I had an interesting lesson about that as well; it was a little creepy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back