Oops, I released an AEFW - HELP

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one aefw floated off in to my tank I would just baste the acros to find out which it attached too. Then baste it off and suck it up. I would check the colony it landed on for eggs and keep my eyes open a month down the road. Why go through all the fuss over one worm when it could be that easy? That would be sad if a fish ate it and the dips were to find nothing :) But I understand though, the knowledge your tank is clean always makes reefing better.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going foward I'll make that same assumption. I also won't half a** my dipping procedure.

I do have a male yellow fin flasher (Paracheilinus flavianalis).

Do you think flatworm exit would be worth giving a shot?

I never go easy on my dipping, or inspection under a magnifying glass and I still ended up with them. You're gonna get something one day, it's almost unavoidable.

Flatworm exit doesn't work on AEFW. The only way to prevent it is to QT all your corals, or remove all your corals from rockwork and dip weekly.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never go easy on my dipping, or inspection under a magnifying glass and I still ended up with them. You're gonna get something one day, it's almost unavoidable.

Flatworm exit doesn't work on AEFW. The only way to prevent it is to QT all your corals, or remove all your corals from rockwork and dip weekly.
Only thing I'd add is remove the plug it came on as well.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was a study I read where certain aefw are able to burrow into skeleton of an acro, and live there almost a full year, making it impervious to dipping. This could be why on very rare occasion people who hadn’t added anything to their tank for years suddenly end up with them.

I have been trying to find the study again to link but can’t find it yet.

OP
OP
A4goulet

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a study I read where certain aefw are able to burrow into skeleton of an acro, and live there almost a full year, making it impervious to dipping. This could be why on very rare occasion people who hadn’t added anything to their tank for years suddenly end up with them.

I have been trying to find the study again to link but can’t find it yet.

Wow. I'm assuming no level of dipping or quarantine would prevent these kinds of AEFW from entering the system. Wonder if the burrows can be seen?

Last edited:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'm assuming no leave of dipping or quarantine would prevent these kinds of AEFW from entering the system. Wonder if the burrows can be seen?
From what I recall no. It’s baby aefw which are only about 1mm in size? Driving me crazy I can’t find it. It was sometime after they officially documented seeing aefw in the wild. It was from some marine biologist within the last year maybe?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I recall no. It’s baby aefw which are only about 1mm in size? Driving me crazy I can’t find it. It was sometime after they officially documented seeing aefw in the wild. It was from some marine biologist within the last year maybe?

Could be. I Added a single mili and within a month I got a mild infestation. I do a 20 minute dip in bayer and I use 6ml per 3oz water, which most tell me is a pretty hefty dip. I had to rip everything off the rockwork, and took a dremel and diamond grinding wheel to the rockwork to grind out all the encrusted coral I couldn't frag. And weekly dipping for 5-6 weeks.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back