Open top question

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used to be a radion guy. On this tank I have no intention of keeping much in the way of coral if any at all. (Might throw some gsp in there at some point).

So my question is, can this light work on an open top 3ft 60 gallon tank (the 36" to 48" one) for gsp?
Will the evaporation kill the light quickly?
I know the manufacturer does not recommend using the light with open top tanks.

If not can anyone recommend similar lights for open top tanks?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any will work if you keep it high enough off the water. You say you only want very low-light, basic corals then almost any light will work.

There are Kessil 160s that are fairly cheap. There are also the lights like you're looking at as well. You could use what you're looking at if you either hang it or fabricate some extended mounts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I used to be a radion guy. On this tank I have no intention of keeping much in the way of coral if any at all. (Might throw some gsp in there at some point).

So my question is, can this light work on an open top 3ft 60 gallon tank (the 36" to 48" one) for gsp?
Will the evaporation kill the light quickly?
I know the manufacturer does not recommend using the light with open top tanks.

If not can anyone recommend similar lights for open top tanks?

Problem with type of strip is the lack of mounting as its similar to the Marineland strips that sat along the rim and making them subject to splashing and moisture not to mention heat emitted to the tank itself. If you can find a way to elevate it- should work,

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stating the obvious, dont forget some top screening for your jumping fish.

Back