Opinions on a yellow Tang ?

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72gl bowfront with a 20gl sump / fugi .. up and running 1 year .
I hear they can be mean towards other fish ... ?
And I've head opinions both ways that my tank maybe too small ..?
Right now I have ..
2 Blue green Chromis
4 Pajama cardinal
1 Ocellaris clown
1 Pigmie Dwarf Angel
1 Orchid dottyback
1 fire fish
1 Green Mandarin
1 .. coral banded shrimp
1 candy Anemone

I'm looking to get these
Yellow Watchman goby
6 line Wrasses

And of course the Yellow tang
That would be it for fish.

Hoping to go to fragtober swap to get my first corals

20180825_165420.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a small yellow tang can live in a 72 bow for quite some time, personally. With proper nutrient export, it can be done.

That’s a lot of fish, however.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that killed my blue hippo tang when I added him. He eventually got killed, but I wasn't upset when he died. Meanest fish I ever had

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are mean is an understatement.
We just got one 1.25" so it was smaller than the docile 2.25" copperband butterfly. It still tries to be a jerk sometimes.
75 gallons (ours) is tight for full long term growth.
If you get one then get one as small as possible. 4 foot long tanks provide the minimum recommended swimming room it needs.
How long is your bowfront?

The 6 line probably won't be any nicer.
A few are perfectly docile but they are the 1%.
Again, get it as tiny as possible and add it last.
Reviewing your stock list, get one that's just as big or just a little bit bigger than your dottyback.
Try to watch the 6 lines in the LFS tanks and pick one that's less of a jerk.

14 fish total is high. That is where I am at now.
It doesn't leave you a lot of room for error.
Make sure you have some backup airstones in case the power goes out.
[emoji4]
Keep an eye on parameters every other day for several months until you have a good idea what you need to do to limit nutrients.
Underfeeding is not the answer.
[emoji4]
Send pics!

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness though, that’s a bunch of fish. And to your original question - eh, the YT could work.

Do you have plans to upgrade to a larger tank in the coming couple of years? The fish are going to, you know... grow larger.

@norfolkgarden - great comments. I agree with everything you just said. Might be worth adding that there needs to be a battery backup to make the backup air stones work!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72gl bowfront with a 20gl sump / fugi .. up and running 1 year .
I hear they can be a** h**** towards other fish ... ?
And I've head opinions both ways that my tank maybe too small ..?
Right now I have ..
2 Blue green Chromis
4 Pajama cardinal
1 Ocellaris clown
1 Pigmie Dwarf Angel
1 Orchid dottyback
1 fire fish
1 Green Mandarin
1 .. coral banded shrimp
1 candy Anemone

I'm looking to get these
Yellow Watchman goby
6 line Wrasses

And of course the Yellow tang
That would be it for fish.

Hoping to go to fragtober swap to get my first corals

20180825_165420.jpeg
I think I would add another o. clown....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really .. [emoji30]
Yes. Sixlines are bigtime pod eaters and recognize mandarins as such. So will either a) outcompete the mandarin or b) pick out the mandarins eyes.

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3E841E38-623F-4C6A-B2C4-4158B3FD3525.jpeg
Mandarins feed exclusively on pods. Six lines are awesome pod hunters. Mandarin’s are fairly docile and slow. Your six line will eat all of the pods and your Mandarin starve to death. Hence, the reason they are not compatible.

I have a yellow tang in a 5 foot reefer 525 XL. I got him from a local club member who advertise him as 3 to 4 inches. When I got there he started bagging him up out of his sump. When he held up the bag that yellow tang was all of 5 1/2 inches tail to nose. At that point I figured I would take him and rescue him from the sump he was living in. I figured I could rehome him if he didn’t pan out. He has been in my tank almost 2 years and is a model citizen.

He has not grown since the day I put him in. He now shares the tank with a powder brown and kole tang and has for the past year. I’ve never seen any aggression with any of the tangs And they seem very happy. I do think someday I will move him on to somebody with a bigger tank. However, I kind of feel like I adopted him and got him out of a bad situation and I love to spoil him with tons of Nori and a variety of foods. He is fat and healthy and is great at picking at nuisance algae.

OP
OP
jjflounder1

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would add another o. clown....
I had wanted a pair of clowns
Wife brought home an Ocellaris and also and a tomato ..
The tomato had ich and didn't make it ( thank you Petco's ) but he would of gotten bigger than the Ocellaris anyways ...

And at this point figured trying to add another one would just be asking for a big fight

OP
OP
jjflounder1

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3E841E38-623F-4C6A-B2C4-4158B3FD3525.jpeg
Mandarins feed exclusively on pods. Six lines are awesome pod hunters. Mandarin’s are fairly docile and slow. Your six line will eat all of the pods and your Mandarin starve to death. Hence, the reason they are not compatible.

I have a yellow tang in a 5 foot reefer 525 XL. I got him from a local club member who advertise him as 3 to 4 inches. When I got there he started bagging him up out of his sump. When he held up the bag that yellow tang was all of 5 1/2 inches tail to nose. At that point I figured I would take him and rescue him from the sump he was living in. I figured I could rehome him if he didn’t pan out. He has been in my tank almost 2 years and is a model citizen.

He has not grown since the day I put him in. He now shares the tank with a powder brown and kole tang and has for the past year. I’ve never seen any aggression with any of the tangs And they seem very happy. I do think someday I will move him on to somebody with a bigger tank. However, I kind of feel like I adopted him and got him out of a bad situation and I love to spoil him with tons of Nori and a variety of foods. He is fat and healthy and is great at picking at nuisance algae.

Nice setup Hope mine looks half that good some day

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Sorry! Completely spaced out on the mandarin vs sixline.
Thank you @eatbreakfast !!

The usual rule I suggest to people is no more than 6 gallons per 3" fish.
Stocking rates higher than that are possible, but it fails easily. Temporary O2 depletion and cascading deaths becomes a serious problem.

You and I are both well past that stocking recommendation, so you will need to watch you tank like a hawk.
It sounds like you're already in good shape with your friends generator.

3 of the Pennplax (not very!) Silent Air B11 help me during regular short term power outages. They are plugged in and turn on automatically when they lose 120v. 5 to 20 minute power outages are common locally.

You can upgrade to a UPS (universal power supply) but they are a lot of money for a limited amount of time.
These are $15 each.
[emoji6]
Ugly and Gawd awful loud, but they get the job done.
9a7a3f1eefb533f1cdbcdc9dc798a479.jpg
b0910802515afbd017b91cf0c3aedfa5.jpg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6’ tank. I have a Kole tang, a yellow tang and a powder brown tang. The Kole tang was introduced first. The Kole tang is pretty peaceful. The yellow tang went in without incident. When I added the powder brown both the yellow tang and Kole tang took exception, the PBT did ok one to one but not when 2 to 1. After a day, the Kole tang decided that tangling with the PBT was a bad idea. He had received numerous nicks from the PBT so he gave it up. The yellow kept at it but with decreasing zeal. PBT is a faster fish and would seemingly go to the YT special spot just to tease him and then lead him on a chase going just fast enough to stay ahead. The PBT is now the dominant fish. The yellow tang rarely bothers anything. The tangs do spar briefly from time to time but usually get along fine.

Back