Opinions on leds lights for jbj 28 g nano

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,
I was hoping for advice on led lights. I have the jbj 28 g nano and i was considering removing the stock canopy and replacing w a clear lid. The leds i was looking at includes:
1) aqua illumination prime hd $225
2) aqua hydra 26 $349
3) aquatic life halo deluxe reef fixture $310-337

Currently my corals include zs and ps, blastomussas and candy cane--so no sps.

Any help or experience w jbj would greatly be appreciated. Also if anyone can let me know their experience w artfully acrylic clear lids. Thx for your input.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 34 gal and started with one Ai Prime and corals did very well. I recently started doing some SPS and added an additional one!

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx both of you for input. The kits sounds good and overall may be cheaper in the short run. While the clear lid w shipping comes out to $200, and $225 or $300 for aqualife led and another $30 for the gooseneck mount. Both options allow me to reduce the intensity. Clear lid and led mounted would allow me to create more distance between fixture and corals and as the pic shows, i can finally open the lid without banging my skimmer. I guess ill mull it over more.

IMG_1492.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx both of you for input. The kits sounds good and overall may be cheaper in the short run. While the clear lid w shipping comes out to $200, and $225 or $300 for aqualife led and another $30 for the gooseneck mount. Both options allow me to reduce the intensity. Clear lid and led mounted would allow me to create more distance between fixture and corals and as the pic shows, i can finally open the lid without banging my skimmer. I guess ill mull it over more.

IMG_1492.JPG
So many good choices out there.
You'll be pretty happy with most any light upgrade.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not planning to keep sps, something like current usa orbit or some other low end light should work just fine. Go for AI prime or kessil 360 if you plan to get sps

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wound up ordering the clear view lid from artfully acrylic which had the template and a feed door. Now i just need to choose a light and mount.

IMG_1503.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wound up ordering the clear view lid from artfully acrylic which had the template and a feed door. Now i just need to choose a light and mount.

IMG_1503.JPG
That's pretty sexy.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about the radion 15, just read that eco marine bought out aqua illumination and so the new ai prime hd has the same leds but a bit less power but for only $225 and the wirelesss ap reduces cost for other controller.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gonna take about 3-4 to make the lid and i figure about a week to get the new lights, leaving me a gap of 2-3 weeks without a lid (i have 2'firefish). What should i use temporarily until my new lid comes in? Saran wrap lol?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gonna take about 3-4 to make the lid and i figure about a week to get the new lights, leaving me a gap of 2-3 weeks without a lid (i have 2'firefish). What should i use temporarily until my new lid comes in? Saran wrap lol?
Cheap acrylic form Home Depot or lowes

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx i did went lowes as u suggested and got two options a plastic frame w screen for $7 or a clear plastic for $11 (figured return whichever i dont return. However now i have temp prob as it is getting hot and the room temp is 87 while the tank is sitting between 84-85 degrees. Just noticed some of my zoas started pooping zoanthellate which is a bad sign. I place a couple of them under shaded areas. I put a screen to let less light thru (con of jbj canopy, it has no dimmer). I put ro/di ice cubes and frozen water bottle but temp only goes down to 83 temporarily. My new light wont get here till next week so i hope my corals survive. Unnngh

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard or have exp w chill solutions csxc-1 thermoelectric chiller for $219? I would get a chiller but sorta hard to hook it up to the jbj 28

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back