Opinions on my Ssc (shortcake) colours

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2x frags of strawberry shortcake which are about 10months old this is the pic when I got it.
IMG_3154.jpeg
one I have had longer than the other.. (furthest south on photo.
below . both have now started to look the same.

the first one dulled out after about 2 months, the green faded in brightness and the tips showed less red too
..then I bought the 2nd as a back up frag which went in about 2 months after the 1st
both were well coloured up when I got them, and they are likely to be from the same colony as they were both from the same store.

I can see they have been basing out, but no new growth other than that is really evident.

if you look at the basing out it’s very grey looking to the eye: the basis of my discussion is what’s your findings with this particular acropora.. I know they can be quite finicky even amongst the most experienced reefers. They show better colour on the top down photo than looking at them in the tank.

these are positioned in my reefer 350 tight up against the weir prominent corner about 6” under the water.
radion g4 and gen5 set in between themand at at 75% intesity.
running the lab study programme a-b

I keep a predominantly sps tank and other acros all seem to be doing ok..great colours and growth.

just wanted to see if there was any suggestions of what you think maybe the issue.

IMG_5440.jpeg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very nice..!

my concern was that they seem to be displaying poor colour than when I first got them.
one is slightly better than the other but the tips are very shy of pink.
Thanks!
I dose potassium as well and it helps with the Pink. I'm usually 400-430. I'm not positive that's what does it but I think it may. I test with salifert and do icp every few months...but apparently the salifert test kit will be put of stock for a while

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back