opinions on qt for puffer fish

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would be the preferred way to treat a spiny box puffer for ich and velvet. Puffer has ich but not velvet but I would like to irradicate both. The manager at my local petco calls me when she has fish on there death before/close to it and gives them to me and I attempt to treat them and keep/resell them, I’ve gotten several purple and yellow tangs aswell as a ton of others but never a puffer and I’ve never had to treat a puffer before. he has been in a qt tub for two days now to adjust before I start treating him. I know that copper isn’t preferred for them but I have cupramine if anyone thinks it would have a success at working and if so what ppm should it be ran at and how long should I ramp it up to that ppm as I’ve read .35-.40 would be preferred for puffers with cupramine but I’ve also read there isn’t a point if it isn’t at .50, the meds I have at my disposal are cupramine,prazipro, kick ich and rally, metroplex,kanaplex,neoplex and focus. he is eating and behaving normally just has ich and is a bit skinny. Any advice helps, as I stated he has ich nothing else as of now so I did not attach pictures since I know what we are dealing with.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
what would be the preferred way to treat a spiny box puffer for ich and velvet. Puffer has ich but not velvet but I would like to irradicate both. The manager at my local petco calls me when she has fish on there death before/close to it and gives them to me and I attempt to treat them and keep/resell them, I’ve gotten several purple and yellow tangs aswell as a ton of others but never a puffer and I’ve never had to treat a puffer before. he has been in a qt tub for two days now to adjust before I start treating him. I know that copper isn’t preferred for them but I have cupramine if anyone thinks it would have a success at working and if so what ppm should it be ran at and how long should I ramp it up to that ppm as I’ve read .35-.40 would be preferred for puffers with cupramine but I’ve also read there isn’t a point if it isn’t at .50, the meds I have at my disposal are cupramine,prazipro, kick ich and rally, metroplex,kanaplex,neoplex and focus. he is eating and behaving normally just has ich and is a bit skinny. Any advice helps, as I stated he has ich nothing else as of now so I did not attach pictures since I know what we are dealing with.
As they are often sensitive to copper, you can start with a freshwater dip will offer temporary relief IF fish is not breathing heavily. After dip, You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25- up to 2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer copper power or coppersafe over Cupramine, but if you use that, and the fish has an active disease, you need to get to the full 0.50 dose ASAP.
Hyposalinity works really well for ich in this species, but won’t do anything for velvet.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer copper power or coppersafe over Cupramine, but if you use that, and the fish has an active disease, you need to get to the full 0.50 dose ASAP.
Hyposalinity works really well for ich in this species, but won’t do anything for velvet.
Jay
So the cupramine could work but would have a much higher chance of failure for the puffer? How long would you take to drop salinity for hypo? And it’s 1.008 right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the cupramine could work but would have a much higher chance of failure for the puffer? How long would you take to drop salinity for hypo? And it’s 1.008 right?
Cupramine is just a bit harsher than copper power or coppersafe, also more difficult to get an accurate dose. missing a Cupramine dose by 0.20 ppm is almost a 30% error. The same error with Coppersafe is just like a 7% error.

Hypo would be 1.009 for marine ich. It won’t stop velvet though. Take a look at the sticky section of the fish disease section, there is a write up I did on hypo (I’m on my phone and can’t link to it for you).

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the sticky section of the fish disease section, there is a write up I did on hypo (I’m on my phone and can’t link to it for you).
I am posting the link for you. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back