Opinions on small ryobi propane generator for power outages

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So since I live in Florida now I’ve been thinking more about what to do in extended outages. I already have an Icecap battery backup, a battery powered rechargeable air pump, a 200 watt power inverter, and a 3500 watt portable generator. Obviously those should be enough for most situations. My only issues with my generator are 1)it’s gas only so if gas is hard to come by the tank is going to suffer 2)it’s super loud so running at night is probably not an option.

So that said I’m considering supplementing my backup situation with this Ryobi propane inverter generator.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-9...Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564

Only 700 running watts but with my pumps, lights and skimmer I’m barely over 300 watts. Heaters won’t be an issue here. I’d also have wattage left over for some cooling fans for the tank and room if needed. I figure I can let this run all night for the tank without too much noise and then just fire up the bigger generator during the day for the rest of the house.

Anyone ever used this tiny generator?

My other option is to sell my loud generator and buy a regular inverter like this but that only solves the noise issue still runs on gas

WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMNLF4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_77lhDbY1EDW1W

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yamaha inverters at Costco for 545, gas only though. Champion makes duel generators as well, Tractor Supply sells them. Your probably better to run two smalls in parallel so save on gas.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you pick one with enough power, then the only real choice is how often that you think that you might use it, or for how long. If you live in Hurricane central and anticipate several weeks worth of outages every year or two, then get a really good generator. Cheaper ones can power just fine, but have short duty cycles and are not made to run day-in and day-out for long periods of time.

Propane is not easy to come by during a time of emergency either. Just get you a few 6-10g containers for gas, fill them up before a storm comes. If you don't use them, then put it in your car.

If you just lose power for a few hours every few years, then anything can work in these situations. Even in Florida, some areas are prone to longer outages than others.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think my immediate area is prone to power outages longer than a few days. Apparently during Irma folks in my immediate area said power was out only 12 hours. Down the street I guess it was around 4 days. We live right across the street from a fire station, so that helps in power getting restored first here.

So now I’m leaning towards selling my bigger generator getting that WEN generator which won’t take up as much room in the garage the majority of the year and is more efficient on gas. Wen has them on sale for $359 right now.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gas generator and here's what I did when Sandy hit NJ, and gas stations were closed for about 3 - 4 days. I siphoned gas out of my cars. This was the first major outage we ever had and I wasn't prepared with fuel. I now always have ten gallons of gas ready to go. Every couple months, to keep the gas fresh, I dump this gas into my cars and get them refilled. And FYI, there are quiet generators....such as Honda. I have a noisy one, and it is housed at the back of my property in it's own small shed, and I use 100 foot extension cords.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken gas out of our Ford Truck before. 44 gallon gas tank came in handy during an ice storm once. Eventually gas starts to flow again after a few days. We could get gas in the 3rd or 4th day when most of the town was out of power for about 2 weeks.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea noise is why I’m looking at the WEN inverter, I’ve heard them run and they are much quieter than my regular generator so I wouldn’t feel like such a jerk to my neighbors running it during the night for my tank ;Happy

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think my immediate area is prone to power outages longer than a few days. Apparently during Irma folks in my immediate area said power was out only 12 hours. Down the street I guess it was around 4 days. We live right across the street from a fire station, so that helps in power getting restored first here.

So now I’m leaning towards selling my bigger generator getting that WEN generator which won’t take up as much room in the garage the majority of the year and is more efficient on gas. Wen has them on sale for $359 right now.

I live in your area and in 2004 we didn’t have power for weeks. I wouldn’t trust a ryobi anything to last when the going gets tough. Do yourself a favor go get a nice generator with power to spare, and keep gas on hand. I keep 70 gallons of ethanol free gas in a transfer tank during hurricane season, I run my commercial mower off of it the rest of the year so it doesn’t sit and go bad. Also get some Stabil ;) Better safe than sorry!

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s really going to vary neighborhood by neighborhood. I’m a few miles from Disney World. My neighbors nearby said they were without for 12 hours during Irma. A few miles away it was 4 days during Irma. This neighborhood and most nearby didn’t exist in 2004 so no idea about then.

Also I already have a regular 3500 watt generator. I was asking about this thing as a supplement my current generator during the night so I don’t have a 3600 rpm generator running all night.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back