Optimize Calcium Reactor: OrionN's modification

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good day, i bought a GEO REACTOR NR Sulfur now i need to convert GEO NR818 Sulfur REACTOR to GEO CR818 CALCIUM REACTOR, can someone please help me

thank you

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good day, i bought a GEO REACTOR NR Sulfur now i need to convert GEO NR818 Sulfur REACTOR to GEO CR818 CALCIUM REACTOR, can someone please help me

thank you

I would suggest you speak to the manufacturer of your unit (https://www.geosreef.com) as you will need a new lid and the PVC tubing between the reactor and intake of the pump. They should be able to help you out.

Dennis

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. The75gpd restrictor arrived but the tube is short as you can see in the photo. I ordered a 100gpd restrictor that looks like it has a longer tube in the photo so we will see. There is also a photo of how the piece fits into the tubing and what it looks like after it is inserted into a fitting. It is snug in the tubing and small enough on the end that the tubing is nice and snug in the fitting once it's inserted. So there should be no issue plugging the tube with the restrictor directly into the fitting on the reactor. Now just hoping this other one has a longer tube to at least reach the pvc pipe leading to the pump inlet.
IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just have the CO2 enter prior to the pump so the impeller breaks the bubbles up much like a protein skimmer?

On LifeReef reactors that is how they are set up and I think bubbles collect minimally in the reactor chamber. Video Link Below

YouTube LifeReef Reactor MasiniReef
I think most if not all Ca reactors put in the CO2 right before the pump. However, at or near maximal capacity, a lot of the Ca reactors have problem with dissolving CO2. In this situation my modification will increase the ability of the calcium reactor to dissolves CO2, thus decrease the pH of the chamber and will be able to put out more Ca CO3 than the same Ca reactor without modification.

I find that I don't have to get bigger reactor with stronger pumps to increase my Ca output. My cheap, old trusty GEO CR618 with small Eheim circulation pump works great with the modification to supply a very high demand 320 gal tank when I put this modification in place.

If your Ca reactor able to supply Ca to your tank, then this modification is not needed, other than it will help decrease CO2 use and waste less CO2.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I ended up with for those looking to see how it went together. Small piece of tubing with the restrictor inserted in the end under my thumb in the photo. Then other end inserted into the reactor fitting after threading the black tubing in.
IMG_2970.JPG
IMG_2971.JPG

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot run the water intake though this flow restrictor. I recommended run the water input through the bubble counter and add another bubble counter at the regulator.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot run the water intake though this flow restrictor. I recommended run the water input through the bubble counter and add another bubble counter at the regulator.
Yes this would indeed be bad for the water lines! This is the CO2 input line.

I am running a CarbonDoser electronic solenoid for CO2 and a masteflex peristaltic pump sucking water from the secondary chamber which pulls water from the main chamber and then pulls it from the tank

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. In Schuran reactors, the efluent is drawn far below the top of the chamber, so CO2 can be recirculated.

Effluent on this small Geo is pulled from the top in the lid. Other models might be slightly different? I have it going into the bottom of a secondary chamber and then out the top of the secondary back to the tank. I don't see any gas bubble on the inside surface of the lid so that's good. I would guess it's recirculating quite a bit as I am only pulling 26ml/min (.42gal/hr) out the secondary chamber and the sicce syncra .5 can move 185gal/hr.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Effluent on this small Geo is pulled from the top in the lid. Other models might be slightly different? I have it going into the bottom of a secondary chamber and then out the top of the secondary back to the tank. I don't see any gas bubble on the inside surface of the lid so that's good. I would guess it's recirculating quite a bit as I am only pulling 26ml/min (.42gal/hr) out the secondary chamber and the sicce syncra .5 can move 185gal/hr.
The point of not drawing the efluent from the top of the lid is that the co2 / co2 rich water at the top of the lid can be recirculated to the bottom of the reactor instead of going out the efluent line.
If the tiny gas bubbles never make it to the top (which is hard to imagine for me), then there is no concern.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of not drawing the efluent from the top of the lid is that the co2 / co2 rich water at the top of the lid can be recirculated to the bottom of the reactor instead of going out the efluent line.
If the tiny gas bubbles never make it to the top (which is hard to imagine for me), then there is no concern.
Yep I understand what you are saying. Maybe will become an issue if I was pushing a lot more CO2 or pulling a large portion of effluent?? I am guessing with the size of the chamber and the fairly low flow out the effluent line in relation to how much water the ciculation pump can move that it's fairly homogeneous throughout. The report by BRS on secondary chambers' effect on effluent pH and alkalinity seemed pretty convincing and not all that hard to implement.

I am most definitely not a CaRX engineer and I don't know the specifics of the unit you are referring to. From my way of thinking though, the water is least CO2 rich after it has fully passed through the substrate vs water lower down in the chamber close to where it has entered from the pump. So pulling it from the furthest point from where it has entered the chamber makes the most sense to me.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an interesting idea to use the flow restrictor capillary for getting smaller CO2 bubbles.

I had a similar idea of installing an Inline CO2 Atomizer which they use in freshwater planted tanks. These are installed in the return pipe of the canister filter, to dissolve the supplied CO2. It is a small ceramic disc which breaks the gas into smallest possible bubbles. Something like this (there are many similar devices made by different manufacturers). I think this can be installed in the circulation loop of the calcium reactor to dissolve all the CO2 efficiently.

MrStoffel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an interesting idea to use the flow restrictor capillary for getting smaller CO2 bubbles.

I had a similar idea of installing an Inline CO2 Atomizer which they use in freshwater planted tanks. These are installed in the return pipe of the canister filter, to dissolve the supplied CO2. It is a small ceramic disc which breaks the gas into smallest possible bubbles. Something like this (there are many similar devices made by different manufacturers). I think this can be installed in the circulation loop of the calcium reactor to dissolve all the CO2 efficiently.
Hi, i came here to post the exact same thing.
If you want fine CO2 bubbles, this is the best way to go indeed.
It would require more work/butchering the reactor to install this though...

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i came here to post the exact same thing.
If you want fine CO2 bubbles, this is the best way to go indeed.
It would require more work/butchering the reactor to install this though...
My method is really easy. You don’t really need to atomized it since the flow will take the CO2 right to the intake of the circulation pump. It take me less than a min or two once I assemble the correct parts to install this modification. It does not cost very much either.

Last edited:

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From time to time my pump will stop recirculating due to the amount of gas in the chamber.

I can see how this mod improves capacity by speeding up the dissolution process and increasing the max CO2 flow rate before above phenomenon becomes a problem. Great idea.

CO2 and media consumption wouldn’t change of course, and the duration between media additions for any given reactor volume would decrease.

Really awesome mod!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back