ORA Ultra Grade Crocea Clam

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's an old myth that needs to die fast. It was once thought that small clams required feeding , which is completely false. Tridacna's have the ability to filter feed, but it's not the main source of their energy/food, they derive nutrition from their mantle, driven by light. This is a very simplistic explanation, but you get the idea. Clams do best in full spectrum light, but are extremely adaptive to different lighting conditions, as long as they get enough to drive growth. Both my maximas were small when I got them, probably 2 1/2" and my noae, like Orion's, was larger, probably 4"? To really appreciate their full color, use a "day" spectrum (6500k to 10k) and you'll see all of their colors as they should be. Don't be afraid of small clams, in fact, it's really rewarding to watch them grow. They key to buying a clam is looking for new shell growth and a nice full mantle, with no damage to the foot/byssal organ.
Clams are like sps, once you get bitten, you can't stop.
gotta make her happy.. except i do have a small female swallowtail Genicanthus melanospilos. she hasnt touched any acro or zoa or acans for last 8 months i had her... i always wanted a clam!...i guess best chance is a really nice blue max...

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gotta make her happy.. except i do have a small female swallowtail Genicanthus melanospilos. she hasnt touched any acro or zoa or acans for last 8 months i had her... i always wanted a clam!...i guess best chance is a really nice blue max...
Genicanthus are not known to go after clams, they are "open water" plankton feeders, unlike their centropyge counterparts.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider clams are fairly easy animals to keep. Just adequate light and plenty of Ca and Alk. Fair water condition is needed also.
most important is not having clams with PMD to begin with and adequately treat Parasitic snails.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN how slow/fast do crocia clams grow from your experience? My little blue one seems to be growing fairly quick. I can't wait for it to reach 3-4 inches. I just ordered a nice green one from Biota this evening.

Thanks, Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder why im being told to stay clear from small ones lol
I was told that the small ones won't survive. Mine has and is growing nicely. Biota sales some nice wysiwyg. I just ordered one and will post more about it when it arrives if you are interested.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She wants a blue one. I didn't see wyswyg on biota
It is under A clam photo, says oddities, hit that. Will post the link they gave me later. There are blue ones. You can even just go to Ocean Oddities. ;Joyful ;Happy

Last edited:

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is under A clam photo, says oddities, hit that. Will post the link they gave me later. There are blue ones.
My mistake, Ocean Oddities, in the view all section is where you find them. They update them from time to time. So wait for just what you want. I will still post the link after awhile. Happy hunting

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is under A clam photo, says oddities, hit that. Will post the link they gave me later. There are blue ones. You can even just go to Ocean Oddities. ;Joyful ;Happy
I just saw that you want a maxima, email them directly. They have always been helpful to me, tell them what you are looking for.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the stock photo of the one I just ordered. I will update when it arrives.
F5_36f36889-2d68-4023-aafc-348eeb2ed79e_small.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went and looked them up a bit ago they were all marked as sold out. That is crazy, there were lots of ones left when I was looking at them last night. I am thinking someone bought them to sale? Not sure.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went and looked them up a bit ago they were all marked as sold out. That is crazy, there were lots of ones left when I was looking at them last night. I am thinking someone bought them to sale? Not sure.

Haha was thinking the same thing. @Biota_Marine Jake any ideas on when the next batch will be posted?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN how slow/fast do crocia clams grow from your experience? My little blue one seems to be growing fairly quick. I can't wait for it to reach 3-4 inches. I just ordered a nice green one from Biota this evening.

Thanks, Shelley
My Crocea grew from 1 inch to 3 inches in about 3-4 years. I think that was pretty fast for Crocea

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Crocea grew from 1 inch to 3 inches in about 3-4 years. I think that was pretty fast for Crocea
Wow, I will just be more patient then. If I had a good camera I would take a photo of mine every Sunday and do a time lapse in 3 years. Mine did arrive and is perfect. Accept for the shell. Hard to describe, but nothing to worry about. Just affects the looks. Will post a photo later.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back