Orange filter Lens for cannon camera??

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tru vue and polyp lab orange filter lens for my iPhone already and I was just curious if there is a filter I could buy that would fit my 50mm cannon camera??

I ordered a 49mm orange filter lens off of amazing and the pictures are actually legit orange Hahahahah

Am I buying the wrong type of filter? Or do I need to change settings? Super new to all of this....I just want to be able to take quick pics and have the corals look the way it does to my eye under blues.....

Thanks in advance!!!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gel filters work well for DSLR cameras. People smarter than me also shoot in RAW format. From what I understand, much easier to get photos that actually look like what we see in real life.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be better off adjusting the white balance setting on your Canon. While an orange filter will help compensate for the blue lights, it will also skew other colors. For example, my pink & purple lobo looks yellow with the filter:

iPhone without filter:
IMG_6699.jpg

iPhone with orange filter:
IMG_6700.jpg

Nikon DSLR with white balance adjustment:
Lobo 2 C copy.jpg

OP
OP
grantUcorals

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be better off adjusting the white balance setting on your Canon. While an orange filter will help compensate for the blue lights, it will also skew other colors. For example, my pink & purple lobo looks yellow with the filter:

iPhone without filter:
IMG_6699.jpg

iPhone with orange filter:
IMG_6700.jpg

Nikon DSLR with white balance adjustment:
Lobo 2 C copy.jpg

Okay awesoem!!! I will try to do that!!! I want it to be pretty much what my eyes see!!! I don’t want the colors to be enhanced or changed because of a filter so the closer I can get to what I see, the better!!!

So adjusting the white balance will work under all blue LEDs??

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesoem!!! I will try to do that!!! I want it to be pretty much what my eyes see!!! I don’t want the colors to be enhanced or changed because of a filter so the closer I can get to what I see, the better!!!

So adjusting the white balance will work under all blue LEDs??

Adjusting white balance helps to a certain degree, but if you have your lights set to 100% blue, your photos will still have a blueish hue even with white balance set as high as it can go on the camera. Ideally you should set the white balance on the camera in conjunction with adjusting the aquarium light spectrum if possible. I have Radions and just turn up the white channels a bit when shooting photos.

OP
OP
grantUcorals

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusting white balance helps to a certain degree, but if you have your lights set to 100% blue, your photos will still have a blueish hue even with white balance set as high as it can go on the camera. Ideally you should set the white balance on the camera in conjunction with adjusting the aquarium light spectrum if possible. I have Radions and just turn up the white channels a bit when shooting photos.

Okay! I have radions also and just trying to get the colors I see on my torches and acros in my own eye and just want an easy way to do it

I thought getting an orange lens would work and when I put it on today the picture actually literally came out orange lol

OP
OP
grantUcorals

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this not work and do the same thing my lenses do for my iPhone??

7037b04a39d940ec66fc4386b525bdd3.jpg

OP
OP
grantUcorals

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shot this without any filters. Just edit in lightroom

pink.png

That’s a good pic!! I don’t want to edit my pics or anything....I just want to take quick pics and that’s it....just like I do with my cell phone and the polyp lab lens, except I’d prefer to use the good camera because it comes out so much better than my iPhone.....I just want to know if there is an orange filter out there that I can just screw to the lens ....

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good pic!! I don’t want to edit my pics or anything....I just want to take quick pics and that’s it....just like I do with my cell phone and the polyp lab lens, except I’d prefer to use the good camera because it comes out so much better than my iPhone.....I just want to know if there is an orange filter out there that I can just screw to the lens ....

That 3rd photo I posted above from my Nikon was straight from the camera with no editing. Just try adjusting your camera’s white balance before wasting money on a filter.

Look at the photos in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-top-down-macro-photos.574981/

None of these photos were edited. They are all straight from the camera. You have all the equipment you need, just learn to use its features.

OP
OP
grantUcorals

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 3rd photo I posted above from my Nikon was straight from the camera with no editing. Just try adjusting your camera’s white balance before wasting money on a filter.

Look at the photos in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-top-down-macro-photos.574981/

None of these photos were edited. They are all straight from the camera. You have all the equipment you need, just learn to use its features.

Dang those are super nice pics!!!!! Mine is going to be shooting through the glass and not under the water like yours was....does that matter?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang those are super nice pics!!!!! Mine is going to be shooting through the glass and not under the water like yours was....does that matter?

No, It makes no difference. Those photos were shot through an acrylic porthole, so technically they are not "under water". Here's a shot I took just now through the glass:

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.52.58 AM.png

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 choices.
Either want quick pix or you want great pix.
Quick pix = filter
Great pics = shoot in raw and edit.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canon is unique in that it handles blue light better than Nikon or Sony. (For those that don’t have a canon, try borrowing one from a friend to see it’s blue light correction ability with the correct custom white balance). You can use the custom white balance and discover the setting that works for your tank lighting. When the radions are set to all blue or deep blue are the most challenging

Quite frankly, editing is still required to get your photo adjusted so that it it will look most representative of what you truly see. Editing is not (certainly should not be) intended to fake or enhance a photo but to color correct a reef photo. It seems some equate editing as bad, inappropriate or fakery. The point of editing is to end up with a photo that reflects what you actually visualize in your tank.

OP
OP
grantUcorals

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 choices.
Either want quick pix or you want great pix.
Quick pix = filter
Great pics = shoot in raw and edit.

I want the quick pic lol

Quick goo/solid pic and then can post for sale or to my IG....that’s all I care about

I don’t want to edit it at all

I tried to buy an orange filter and it literally came out orange....do you have a recommendation for a filter ??

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the quick pic lol

Quick goo/solid pic and then can post for sale or to my IG....that’s all I care about

I don’t want to edit it at all

I tried to buy an orange filter and it literally came out orange....do you have a recommendation for a filter ??
For a cellphone or dslr?
Dslr ive seen some use brown filters..i think you can search for it

OP
OP
grantUcorals

grantUcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSLR

I have an orange filter for it now but For some weird reason when I look through the viewfinder it looks amazing and is exactly what I want and then I snap the picture and then it looks plain Jane and doesn’t have the same colors as when I looked through the view finder.....

Not sure if that makes any sense or if there is a way to capture the exact picture/colors I see through the viewfinder ....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back