5-10-16
b869262805c07f487054183d2716a2de.jpg

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is that fish never lose their juvenile pigmentation only suppress them such as the capabilities of rabbit fish. Maybe your tang underwent some brain trauma that triggered it to activate those bright yellow pigments again? Possible theory?

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also heard of fish attempting to mimic other fish's habits. Since you actually have a rabbit fish your tang could try to mimic its color shift? ANOTHER THEORY?

OP
OP
anarchy

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see the darker color from the first picture being from stress but I find it weird that over time it's basically lost its orange shoulder

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you were living in a sitcom I'd believe you left town for a long weekend and your mother-in-law was responsible for watching your fish tank. You have always had a rough relationship with her, but your wife assured you that it was all a misunderstanding, and her caring for your beloved aquarium while you were away would illustrate the familial bond that has grown strong. Unfortunately for your mother-in-law, something happened to your beautiful orange shoulder and it was found dead. Distraught by the situation and filled with guilt over the loss of your fish she quickly wraps him up in a napkin and runs to the closest fish store. They give her a new juvenile and she quickly adds him back to your aquarium. Unfortunately your brother-in-law swings by at this moment and catches her in the act. She explains the entire situation to him and he exclaims with surprise that the two fish don't even look alike. As she begins to fret, he attempts to soothe his mother by stating "maybe Anarchy won't notice"...

or maybe something else happened. But until then, this is the most logical explanation.

OP
OP
anarchy

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were living in a sitcom I'd believe you left town for a long weekend and your mother-in-law was responsible for watching your fish tank. You have always had a rough relationship with her, but your wife assured you that it was all a misunderstanding, and her caring for your beloved aquarium while you were away would illustrate the familial bond that has grown strong. Unfortunately for your mother-in-law, something happened to your beautiful orange shoulder and it was found dead. Distraught by the situation and filled with guilt over the loss of your fish she quickly wraps him up in a napkin and runs to the closest fish store. They give her a new juvenile and she quickly adds him back to your aquarium. Unfortunately your brother-in-law swings by at this moment and catches her in the act. She explains the entire situation to him and he exclaims with surprise that the two fish don't even look alike. As she begins to fret, he attempts to soothe his mother by stating "maybe Anarchy won't notice"...

or maybe something else happened. But until then, this is the most logical explanation.
[emoji23] that was great

OP
OP
anarchy

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wonder if it could be a dominance thing. The OST is 4th in dominance. Kole runs the tank followed by blue spotted rabbit, sailfin tang then OST

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was another thread on here about a blue face angel doing the same thing and they came to the conclusion it was about the hierarchy in the tank as well. I think it's in the angel lovers stickie

OP
OP
anarchy

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was another thread on here about a blue face angel doing the same thing and they came to the conclusion it was about the hierarchy in the tank as well. I think it's in the angel lovers stickie
Thanks ill check it out

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is he, I got mine at about 3 to 3.5" and he was just going into his full adult color. Anywhere between 2 and 4" they can change, and it can take a long time. I've never seen them change back, but he looks pretty small and even still juvi in the face.

OP
OP
anarchy

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is he, I got mine at about 3 to 3.5" and he was just going into his full adult color. Anywhere between 2 and 4" they can change, and it can take a long time. I've never seen them change back, but he looks pretty small and even still juvi in the face.
Hes 4"

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it hasn't fully finished transitioning into an adult, reverting back is always a possibility, though rare.

It is almost always related to a social hierarchy. Older, established fish are much more tolerant of juveniles than of another adult.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's crazy! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
anarchy

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy! Thanks for sharing!
I do find it funny that the smallest tang in the tank controls every fish in the tank. It was the only fish in the tank for about 6 months after an ich outbreak

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wonder if it could be a dominance thing. The OST is 4th in dominance. Kole runs the tank followed by blue spotted rabbit, sailfin tang then OST
X2 I've seen dominance cause fish in transition to back track, most notably in another acanthurus tang cousin the Atlantic blue tang. It was nearly blue upon arrival for a few months with a hint of yellow brown - then after living with several other tangs, it is more yellow brown than blue with almost no remnant of blue left. More astonishingly is that it took only days for a noticeable change, and less than a month from one state to the other - probably 2-3 weeks! I have seen this a few times in this species over the years. Once fully transitioned I do not believe this can happen.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2 I've seen dominance cause fish in transition to back track, most notably in another acanthurus tang cousin the Atlantic blue tang. It was nearly blue upon arrival for a few months with a hint of yellow brown - then after living with several other tangs, it is more yellow brown than blue with almost no remnant of blue left. I have seen this a few times in this species over the years. Once fully transitioned I do not believe this can happen.

OP
OP
anarchy

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2 I've seen dominance cause fish in transition to back track, most notably in another acanthurus tang cousin the Atlantic blue tang. It was nearly blue upon arrival for a few months with a hint of yellow brown - then after living with several other tangs, it is more yellow brown than blue with almost no remnant of blue left. I have seen this a few times in this species over the years. Once fully transitioned I do not believe this can happen.
I'm working on my upgrade now. I wonder if it will start to transition again once in the bigger tank where the dominance is up for grabs again

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on my upgrade now. I wonder if it will start to transition again once in the bigger tank where the dominance is up for grabs again
I would think he would transition back. Changing settings for everyone always reshuffles the deck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back