Orange Spot Filefish starving

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background, I have had 3 male orange spot filefish for about 6-7 months in my 150 gallon mixed reef. They have been doing great and appear to be healthy and growing. This week I purchased 2 females online from the same source as my original 3. Both were thin, one extremely thin. One of the two took to Masstick immediately and has joined the other 3. She is eating heartily and signs are looking good for her.

The problem is the second extremely thin female. She won’t eat ANYTHING, including millepora coral. I’ve had her 3 days now and she has gotten so weak I found her stuck to a powerhead this morning. I have her separated so she has no competition for food. At this point she seems almost too weak to eat or that she has given up.

As a last ditch effort, I am going to attempt to force feed using a syringe and airline, but as her mouth is so tiny, I can’t actually ‘force’ feed, just get the food to her mouth and hope she swallows some. She is so far gone, I could catch her in my hand to attempt the feeding.

I’ve done this once now and plan to try one or two more times today.
Anyone have any last ditch techniques or ideas for a fish this far gone? I fear today is her last day if I can’t get some calories in her.
Below are some pics of my original trio. I’ll add a pic of my starving girl in a bit.

0E12CC07-27C2-408A-853C-21247D37F383.jpeg 4AABDE61-412D-4B6F-9EA4-97ABBC992674.jpeg 600C97D5-29E5-42CB-A1E9-31EEA88D26E7.jpeg B491C9AF-1080-4736-AB23-233C3ECF0F8B.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get the fish into a small QT tank and 'surround it' with floating brine shrimp... not the most nutritious, I know, but to see whether you can get a feeding response, and from there work it's way up to mysis?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I do not have any advice but I wish you the best. I had two of them and it was a struggle to get them to eat at first. Seems like you are taking all the right steps to do what you can.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get the fish into a small QT tank and 'surround it' with floating brine shrimp... not the most nutritious, I know, but to see whether you can get a feeding response, and from there work it's way up to mysis?
I’ve tried that multiple times in a breeder box over the last few days. She takes zero interest in the food. I’ve tried just about every food available with and without garlic, with and without selcon:

Masstick
Frozen foods: brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, blood worms, cyclops, oyster eggs, Rotifers, LRS, plankton, emerald entree, angel food, carnivore mix
Pellets: Panta Rhei Polyp, Panta Rhei Sponge, 2 other kinds of pellets, algae wafers
Live black worms
Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp
Flake food

I think that’s all....but I’ve tried them all 3-6 times per day since she arrived....
This photo doesn’t do justice to how emaciated she is...

4D0874CB-FF2F-43C6-A914-2512BB55A585.jpeg

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d give her cookies and ice cream if she’d eat it at this point. Her immediate need is calories, then I’ll worry about nutrition.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I do not have any advice but I wish you the best. I had two of them and it was a struggle to get them to eat at first. Seems like you are taking all the right steps to do what you can.
I’ve been lucky, 4 of the 5 have eaten on day 1. This girl just arrived in such poor shape I fear there isn’t enough time to work with her before she starves.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry for the loss.... but I commend your commitment and efforts. Those are SPECTACULAR fish. I know that they are a bit of a challenge but you truly did everything possible. Alas, the supplier did not do right by you or the fish this time around.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You are lucky to have the other ones eating. These are recommended expert level and with pristine tank conditions. In the wild it feeds almost exclusively on Acropora polyps. It has a specialized diet that consists almost entirely of Acropora coral polyps although it will eat certain frozen foods as in your case. Other foods they eventually eat as you may know are: hair algae, frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp.
What may cause this starvation?

Temperature too high
Low ph
High nitrate
Internal issue
High salinity

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are lucky to have the other ones eating. These are recommended expert level and with pristine tank conditions. In the wild it feeds almost exclusively on Acropora polyps. It has a specialized diet that consists almost entirely of Acropora coral polyps although it will eat certain frozen foods as in your case. Other foods they eventually eat as you may know are: hair algae, frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp.
What may cause this starvation?

Temperature too high
Low ph
High nitrate
Internal issue
High salinity
As long as they are eating, they are actually very hardy fish. I’m aware of their dietary needs. Panta Rhei makes some specialty pellets for corilavores and spongivores that I include in their diet. As well as Masstick and a wide variety of frozen and live food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As long as they are eating, they are actually very hardy fish. I’m aware of their dietary needs. Panta Rhei makes some specialty pellets for corilavores and spongivores that I include in their diet. As well as Masstick and a wide variety of frozen and live food.
This may one that is finicky and may have internal issues or just stubborn. In extreme cases, reefers will add a cheap acro to get its attention and comfort in eating.
My fear is, they will turn to acro and shun away from foods which appears you have a real good handle on and i was unaware of such diets on the market.
Who is distributor for that food?

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may one that is finicky and may have internal issues or just stubborn. In extreme cases, reefers will add a cheap acro to get its attention and comfort in eating.
My fear is, they will turn to acro and shun away from foods which appears you have a real good handle on and i was unaware of such diets on the market.
Who is distributor for that food?
I had acros including millepora with the fish.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only find nouri polyp L, but I wanna have M or S, where can I get smaller size nouri polyp pellets?
They have been out of stock for a year. But the pellets are soft, so just get the large and crumble them up when you put them in.

DIY723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious do they pick on the polyps of your acros ? Thank yoi

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back