Orchid Dottyback Breeding Attempt

BeardedDragon21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if your still working on this breeding effort, but when I helped breed the Orchid we had better hatch rates when we collected the eggs and the male the evening before hatching and transferred them both to the hatching vessel. We managed this through the use of pvc pipes like your using and just covering the entrance while the male was inside with the eggs. This allowed the male to care for the eggs up to and through the hatching process which usually occurred around 8-9pm. Also during my study of the Orchid I found the strongest feeding response on rotifers at concentrations around 20/ml hope this helps. Also depending on your copepod population i found increasing feed effort as copepod concentration increased though i only investigated up to 1/ml. If you like to read ive attached my paper

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if your still working on this breeding effort, but when I helped breed the Orchid we had better hatch rates when we collected the eggs and the male the evening before hatching and transferred them both to the hatching vessel. We managed this through the use of pvc pipes like your using and just covering the entrance while the male was inside with the eggs. This allowed the male to care for the eggs up to and through the hatching process which usually occurred around 8-9pm. Also during my study of the Orchid I found the strongest feeding response on rotifers at concentrations around 20/ml hope this helps. Also depending on your copepod population i found increasing feed effort as copepod concentration increased though i only investigated up to 1/ml. If you like to read ive attached my paper
I wonder if this works equally well for Assessors...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates? I started to feed my dottyback pair grindal worms and they've begun to spawn. One large clutch of eggs hung around for a few days before *something* ate it...

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Europe too, UK to be exact. I had one orchid for a few years in my previous tank. Once I upgraded the tank I got a smaller second one from my local fish shop. Within a couple months they were spawning. Both mine were tank bred too but think that is just cause of my preference.
I just noticed that I never thanked you for your answer. Sorry about that. Had to skip 2 years while getting other life issues solved. I am now back and I will try again. I am getting a tank bread fish. So I will stay in touch.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back