Orchid dottyback. Too keep or too boot!

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had violet for 1.5 years now. First in a 13.5 with two clowns no issues. She has her cave. Fast forward this January they get a 4 foot 65 tank. Same rockwork as before but also added a ton more abs corals etc. all of a sudden this past while she’s attacking my daughters dispar anthias. The anthias stays in her cave all day instead of schooling with her chromis buddies. Other fish in tank yellow tang flame angel. Clown pair and 3 chromis. I’m thinking I should trap the dottyback in her cave and to the lfs she goes. Just weird after them all being together for 10 months aggression has started

Losirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid Dottybacks are evil, they get meaner as they mature. I would remove it, but good luck getting such a swift swimmer out!

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid Dottybacks are evil, they get meaner as they mature. I would remove it, but good luck getting such a swift swimmer out!
Lucky for me she always retreats to one cave and I can scoop her up. My daughter said yes daddy we don’t like bully’s

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but they were perfect for 10 months. Oh well so what’s a good fish that has personality for this 65 gallon tank. Or maybe I’ll just keep it minus 1

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought orchids were the nice ones? Pretty sure it’s the mislabeled strawberry ones that are the Devil. I’ve never seen an orchid that was terrified of it’s own reflection. Not saying I’m right just saying I’ve never seen one

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I seen this, an orchid was on my list since I had read they play nice with tank mates unlike the trained assassins that make up their brethren. Hope you can get it out and without anymore damage!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a captive bred orchid who was nice for 1 year... then it murdered two cleaner shrimp and a starkii damsel. Replaced it with a royal gramma.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Orchid DB and it was mean to every fish not matter the size.

DC LEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had violet for 1.5 years now. First in a 13.5 with two clowns no issues. She has her cave. Fast forward this January they get a 4 foot 65 tank. Same rockwork as before but also added a ton more abs corals etc. all of a sudden this past while she’s attacking my daughters dispar anthias. The anthias stays in her cave all day instead of schooling with her chromis buddies. Other fish in tank yellow tang flame angel. Clown pair and 3 chromis. I’m thinking I should trap the dottyback in her cave and to the lfs she goes. Just weird after them all being together for 10 months aggression has started

DC LEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though you had them for years your changed the rules by upgrading the tank. With that the order you add fish to a tank plays a big part in who gets what rock or section of the tank. Wich ever one is easier to catch out of the 2 catch them put them in a quarantine tank for a little bit of time then try adding it back to the tank. The 2 fish might be fighting over the same cave it sounds like. Just my 2 cents and i hope it helps.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orchid dottyback gets along well with my two clowns, but beat the crap outta my watchman goby and pistol shrimp. I have a IM nuvo 20 tank fyi

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really starting to wonder if orchid dottybacks need to be kept in pairs, at a minimum, in order maintain some type of social dynamic with other tankmates. The only drama I've ever observed with my four is when it happens with each other; there's some minor domestic squabbling that never involves other fish. They do naturally live in harems, and it's plausible that they'd be nervous and aggressive when kept alone instead of in groups.

Either that or captive-bred fish have had much of the aggression bred out of them.

In any case, here's a counter-intuitive idea: it's worth thinking about adding another one to the mix!

DC LEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have friends that have given away their dottyback's because of their aggression. I apologies I thought you already upgraded the tank to a 4ft. If you decide to remove the dotty you can try a LFS that you shop at for a store credit or see is someone online will buy it is really the only options. Best of luck I have a indigo dottyback in my tank. So I do understand your feelings with the dottyback.

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst fist ever

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my orchid - he was always such an inquisitive and entertaining fish. I have a striped dottyback now that while equally entertaining is a very different personality.

I like the idea of adding a second to see if it calms the orchid down.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magenta dottyback are more aggressive, my orchid have always been model citizens in my tank for the most part.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back