Order to add fish in FOWLR

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an unbelievable amount of drama,scams, and wishy-washiness from people selling tanks I finally got a tank in my house. It is 72 long 36 high and 24 inches wide so a 269 gallon according to the gallon calculator, and it has a 55 gallon sump. I wish it was longer instead of being so tall, but oh well I am just happy to have it.

I *think* this is my final stock list, and I was curious in what order I should add these fish.

1 Saddle butterflyfish

1 Raffles/lattice butterfly

1 emperor angel- would be open to swapping this for a smaller species

1 Picaso trigger

1 porcupine puffer

1 Bird wrasse

Scopos, chocolate tang, or Sailfin tang- would like two from this list

5 lyretail anthias- 1 male 4 female

1 bicolor angelfish

I know the emperor angel needs to go in last, but what about the rest of them? Aside from the butterflies there seems to be arguments for most of these fish going in after the rest. My LFS has a small porcupine puffer that has been in the shop for 4 months, and I would love get him and add him first since he is well acclimated. Assuming that is okay, but what the rest?

From what I understand it seems this order is good? : puffer, butterflies, anthias, bi-color angelfish, both tangs, bird wrasse, trigger, and then emperor angelfish?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emperor angel is end up going to be a d*ck regardless of the order you add him. I have one that's been in the tank for about a year and he's been fine with roughly two dozen subsequent additions (including tangs, anthias, chromis, and other angelfish).

I like the sailfin and powder brown tangs, myself (@vetteguy53081 has a lot of gorgeous tangs in his setup).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After an unbelievable amount of drama,scams, and wishy-washiness from people selling tanks I finally got a tank in my house. It is 72 long 36 high and 24 inches wide so a 269 gallon according to the gallon calculator, and it has a 55 gallon sump. I wish it was longer instead of being so tall, but oh well I am just happy to have it.

I *think* this is my final stock list, and I was curious in what order I should add these fish.

1 Saddle butterflyfish

1 Raffles/lattice butterfly

1 emperor angel- would be open to swapping this for a smaller species

1 Picaso trigger

1 porcupine puffer

1 Bird wrasse

Scopos, chocolate tang, or Sailfin tang- would like two from this list

5 lyretail anthias- 1 male 4 female

1 bicolor angelfish

I know the emperor angel needs to go in last, but what about the rest of them? Aside from the butterflies there seems to be arguments for most of these fish going in after the rest. My LFS has a small porcupine puffer that has been in the shop for 4 months, and I would love get him and add him first since he is well acclimated. Assuming that is okay, but what the rest?

From what I understand it seems this order is good? : puffer, butterflies, anthias, bi-color angelfish, both tangs, bird wrasse, trigger, and then emperor angelfish?

There are few fish on the list which will prove to be headache due to disposition and there is a mix of peaceful and semi-aggressive.
The order I suggest:

1 Saddle butterflyfish (2) place butterflies together

1 Raffles/lattice butterfly (2)

1 emperor angel- would be open to swapping this for a smaller species (8) - gets an attitude as it matures

1 Picaso trigger (7) - strong jaws and they'll use it if needed. Can be temperamental

1 porcupine puffer (6) - Can be finicky,,,, splashes and prone to ich and flukes. Dont let cuteness fool you

1 Bird wrasse (5) - Very active fish and can be annoying to more peaceful ones- Gets easily to 8"

Scopos, chocolate tang, or Sailfin tang- would like two from this list - Chocolate yes- Scopas can be a jerk and sailfin even more and sailfin get large and quickly (3)

5 lyretail anthias- 1 male 4 female-Not recommended with the puffer and possibly trigger But First.(1)

1 bicolor angelfish (4)- These are hit and miss and may or may not make it and suspected Cyanide caught lately

** Most will not allow coral to survive in the tank

OP
OP
F

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are few fish on the list which will prove to be headache due to disposition and there is a mix of peaceful and semi-aggressive.
The order I suggest:

1 Saddle butterflyfish (2) place butterflies together

1 Raffles/lattice butterfly (2)

1 emperor angel- would be open to swapping this for a smaller species (8) - gets an attitude as it matures

1 Picaso trigger (7) - strong jaws and they'll use it if needed. Can be temperamental

1 porcupine puffer (6) - Can be finicky,,,, splashes and prone to ich and flukes. Dont let cuteness fool you

1 Bird wrasse (5) - Very active fish and can be annoying to more peaceful ones- Gets easily to 8"

Scopos, chocolate tang, or Sailfin tang- would like two from this list - Chocolate yes- Scopas can be a jerk and sailfin even more and sailfin get large and quickly (3)

5 lyretail anthias- 1 male 4 female-Not recommended with the puffer and possibly trigger But First.(1)

1 bicolor angelfish (4)- These are hit and miss and may or may not make it and suspected Cyanide caught lately

** Most will not allow coral to survive in the tank
Thank you for the detailed reply. Where am I on stocking level if I went with my current set-up in your opinion?

No interest in coral or inverts, so not worried about that.

With the lyretail anthias is the concern they will be swallowed by an adult trigger or puffer? I am worried the tank will look a bit empty without the anthias.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the detailed reply. Where am I on stocking level if I went with my current set-up in your opinion?

No interest in coral or inverts, so not worried about that.

With the lyretail anthias is the concern they will be swallowed by an adult trigger or puffer? I am worried the tank will look a bit empty without the anthias.
It’s a near predator tank mix. Problem is some of them get large with potential to get mean and those anthias will look like feeder goldfish in time.
You may find they play well together, but there is risk

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back