Ordering Fish online

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my local PetCo a week or so ago (I basically have no lfs) and they had a purple tang that I liked. I ended up looking at livestock on their website (hoping they would match their online price for the tang, but they wouldn't) and I realized their online prices seem really good and I saw that at $175 they offer free shipping and guarantee fish for 30 days after purchase. So now I'm considering buying some fish from PetCos website. Has anyone ordered livestock from PetCo online before.

Also, before anyone mentions it I am aware that PetCo doesn't have the best reputation but the ones around me are decent so I have some hopes in ordering online from them will be okay. Anything I get would go through QT.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to QT you can buy from anywhere. No matter what you are rolling the dice. Petco owns LiveAquaria (at least last I checked they did).

I started buying my fish from tsmaquatics.com, they QT fish for you so it arrives ready to go.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think petcos issues are primarily based off in mny cases employees that have no clue and no real "skin in the game" compared to an owner operated store. I assume they have people that know what they are doing at their central facilities

A 30-day guarantee sounds pretty good.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to QT you can buy from anywhere. No matter what you are rolling the dice. Petco owns LiveAquaria (at least last I checked they did).

I started buying my fish from tsmaquatics.com, they QT fish for you so it arrives ready to go.
Agree other than petco no longer owns them.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think petcos issues are primarily based off in mny cases employees that have no clue and no real "skin in the game" compared to an owner operated store. I assume they have people that know what they are doing at their central facilities

A 30-day guarantee sounds pretty good.
That was kinda my line of thought. Generally speaking the fish at my local Petco look healthy, but I've seen threads on here about Petco stores that are horrendous. I assume it is usually based upon how much the store employees know/care.

I also am assuming that they ship online orders from the same facility that ships them to the stores, although I don't have any idea if that is true.

david613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was kinda my line of thought. Generally speaking the fish at my local Petco look healthy, but I've seen threads on here about Petco stores that are horrendous. I assume it is usually based upon how much the store employees know/care.

I also am assuming that they ship online orders from the same facility that ships them to the stores, although I don't have any idea if that is true.
totally ditto . the petco by us in brick nj was amazing when they had the right manager incredible fish and coral at great prices . I also have been looking at ordering online from them with the 30 day guarantee . I think I'll take the plunge am just waiting for them to get my choice fish back in stock.

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn the employee schedules LOL go when the rookie is working and have them price match.

I’m not paying twice the price IN STORE when THEIR. Website lists it cheaper. This tactic has worked w manager approval several times.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally ditto . the petco by us in brick nj was amazing when they had the right manager incredible fish and coral at great prices . I also have been looking at ordering online from them with the 30 day guarantee . I think I'll take the plunge am just waiting for them to get my choice fish back in stock.
Wow - I just snapped back like 20 years! I was born and raised in Toms River. I think my family makes up half of Riverside Cemetery. That tree runs deep. Do you live in Brick? I don't even think there was a Petco there when I left. It feels like forever ago. The only pet store I can think of was by the Home Depot in Toms River on the corner of Rt 9 and Old Freehold Rd.

david613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes petco is on rt 70 near gardenstate parkway. The head aquarist there (yes there is such a thing in petco) named Andrew was the amazing. I think this petco had rating of 3rd or 5th in nation with saltwaterfish in the petco chain.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do order from them please let me know how it went. I have a few things I need to get for my QT and then decide which fish I want and wait for everything to be in stock.
Learn the employee schedules LOL go when the rookie is working and have them price match.

I’m not paying twice the price IN STORE when THEIR. Website lists it cheaper. This tactic has worked w manager approval several times.
Probably a good idea but I swear the aquarium manager lady must live there. Honestly I don't think I've ever been there and her not be working, I guess I'll have to learn her lunch schedule LOL.. with the purple tang it wasn't a bad price in store but it was $70 cheaper on their website.

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought all my fish at petco, just simply for convenience and I agree the prices are good and have not had any issues with them.
if you talk to them you can get their delivery schedule and get the fish out of the bags.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked when they get deliveries but the problem is they won't match their online prices which is much cheaper for one of the fish I want. They will actually order fish that I ask for, but still not at their online prices.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked when they get deliveries but the problem is they won't match their online prices which is much cheaper for one of the fish I want. They will actually order fish that I ask for, but still not at their online prices.
They always marched their IMO line price for dry stuff I’ve bought there. It’s ridiculous and seems a little sneaky to be honest that they wouldn’t match it. Is someone pocketing the rest haha

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont have to. Their policy specifically states live animals are not included in price match.
doesnt state any were they exclude live animals.

Petco.com Price Match Policy​

Petco.com will match regular and sale prices found at Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores. We do match prices available to the general public (i.e. not any special prices available to members of subscription or membership programs) at the following select online retailers (amazon.com, chewy.com, jet.com, petsmart.com, walmart.com, wag.com, target.com). We do not match prices at other retailers that are not previously listed.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt state any were they exclude live animals.

Petco.com Price Match Policy​

Petco.com will match regular and sale prices found at Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores. We do match prices available to the general public (i.e. not any special prices available to members of subscription or membership programs) at the following select online retailers (amazon.com, chewy.com, jet.com, petsmart.com, walmart.com, wag.com, target.com). We do not match prices at other retailers that are not previously listed.

Have to keep reading down page. Look at bottom Q&A.
Screenshot_20210417-161951.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back