oregon mummy eye chalice

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said in my original post, I know some people think the LE thing is a joke but others care about the chain behind the coral. If you read the post again, the answer to the question is really for the people that do care about the chain tat the coral has been passed through.

Oceanparadice, you seem to fall into the catagory of people that think the LE thing is a joke and thats completely ok. I have no place to judge how you enjoy your hobby. This dispute is like Democrats and Republicians fighting about whom is right. The answer is neither, we're all entitled to our opinion and we all get along...

Its just too bad for those of us that do care about lineage, LE/AE, and who a particular coral has been passed through that some peoples greed has made them call a coral that looks similar to an LE/AE by the same name. Obviously, if you falsely label a coral as an LE/AE, you don't care about the chain/lineage and if thats the case, why would you copy the name of something you don't care about? Why not make up an original name??

The answer is simple... The Mighty Dollar...

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well ill still call it oregon mummy eye version 2 ;) haha, it came from a store in oregon, from a friend who bought it and gave me a frag. Ive seen the orginal one also here at another store, they are both nice imo. Im just very happy to have even got a piece of one :)

Last edited:

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
call it pnoy mummy eyes much better lol.. j/k

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be negative but is this another coral being passed off as an original LE/AE? The 'Hybrid' comment makes me think so... I know some people think the LE thing is a joke but others care about the chain behind the coral. It seems there has been a lot of this lately... finding a wild piece that looks like an LE and giving it the same name...

Can of worms... now opened...

What happened Ian? Were they out of cans of worms? Looks like you opened up a 55gal drum full. :bigsmile: As a seller and a hobbyist I see both sides and understand both sides. So, Im going fishin so I can use up the rest of the worms.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Perry, I got bored this morning... I thought Id stir up some trouble!

LMK if you catch anything :D

Fish n' Frags

Gold Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth da6d2003 has a colony of the original mummy eye that he got when Jeremy originally got the mother colony. He placed his fairly high in his tank and it turned mostly gold! There's a pic here somewhere, but my point is fwiw, even the original morphs in high light.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ENOUGH OF THIS FOOLISHNESS. TIME TO 1UP YOU ALL.

Here's my original Mummy Eye, but depending on the angle I position the frag, it has the ability to morph into the New York Mummy Eye, New Jersey Mummy Eye, or even the Connecticut Mummy Eye!! What now. Thought so.

Picture015.jpg

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its afreakin coral if it looks nice buy it who cares about the name you dont buy it to sell it do you? bc if you do your not a true hobbist, if you buy it bc it looks cool and you like it who cares if its called SUPER LE phils big piece of crap zoas

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finding a wild piece that looks like an LE and giving it the same name...

Can of worms... now opened...

I'll grab one of these worms, why could'nt it be the exact same species? Can you or anyone for that matter, prove it's not the exact same coral? Just because it does'nt have the Tyree name attached to it, does not prove it's not the same coral. What are the odds that there is only one colony of a certain coral on the entire planet? Slim to none if you ask me.

This is the problem with the LE crap, you can't tell me that there are no other corals in the ocean that could be exactly the same species as one brought in by one of these Big Shot Money Machine Collectors.

Why do I call them that? It's because they always demand the highest dollar value for their corals. Sure, they are smart enough to have the connections and to get the choice pieces, but IMO it's all about profit. If it was'nt, a little 1/2" piece wouldn't sell for hundreds of dollars.

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll grab one of these worms, why could'nt it be the exact same species? Can you or anyone for that matter, prove it's not the exact same coral? Just because it does'nt have the Tyree name attached to it, does not prove it's not the same coral. What are the odds that there is only one colony of a certain coral on the entire planet? Slim to none if you ask me.

This is the problem with the LE crap, you can't tell me that there are no other corals in the ocean that could be exactly the same species as one brought in by one of these Big Shot Money Machine Collectors.

Why do I call them that? It's because they always demand the highest dollar value for their corals. Sure, they are smart enough to have the connections and to get the choice pieces, but IMO it's all about profit. If it was'nt, a little 1/2" piece wouldn't sell for hundreds of dollars.

Of course it is all about money. So what? Its a business. Just like every retailer out there. Just like any name brand. If you don't agree with it or can't afford it then don't buy it. This line of argument which boils down to those "dang capitolist pigs are over charging" always cracks me up and resonates as hypocritical bs. It is the american way. We all buy into this system in one form or fashion. Look around your house and tell me that you don't own something with a name brand on it. Why is it different because its a coral and not a tennis racket or a car or a pair of jeans?

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a new one nobody has ever seen before...GAURANTEED!! I am just waiting to unveil it after it colors up some more. It is a watermelon morph with big pink eyes and yellow mouths right in the center. Im going to call it the "OBAMA MAMA". It came in very stressed out and I almost ripped my pants when I saw it was dying, but I cut and babied and dipped and fed and it is coming back strong. You wont believe this one. Im just hoping it does come back all the way so I can give you a peak!

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it is all about money. So what? Its a business. Just like every retailer out there. Just like any name brand. If you don't agree with it or can't afford it then don't buy it. This line of argument which boils down to those "dang capitolist pigs are over charging" always cracks me up and resonates as hypocritical bs. It is the american way. We all buy into this system in one form or fashion. Look around your house and tell me that you don't own something with a name brand on it. Why is it different because its a coral and not a tennis racket or a car or a pair of jeans?

Complaining about the price of coral being kept high by these practices, is no different than complaining about paying over $4 a gallon for gas.

I think you missed my point, and that is most likely my fault. Let's take your jeans for example. 200 pair of "X" jeans are made, 100 go to an upscale store and they brand them as "The best jeans" selling them for $50. The other 100 go to 10 discount stores that don't brand them and sell them for $25. Are they not the same jeans?

My complaint is not with the price, but with the marketing that if it did'nt come from a particular source, it can't be worth as much or even the same coral. This in turn trickles down to the average hobbiest, who now feels the need to brand his corals as LE's (which is totally a false term as far as corals are concerned) to keep his prices up.

Whatever happened to brotherhood and sharing? As far as I can remember, the whole idea of fragging was to make pieces more available to your fellow reefers and to keep the prices down along with, yes, recouping a little of your money. This is slowly going away, now you may as well buy from a retailer as the price gap between the two is shrinking everyday.

I guess my biggest complaint is, if you are in it for the money, admit it, don't come off as you (not you personally) are great person spreading the wealth, when in the end, you are funding your hobby off of others. Again, there is nothing wrong with this, just admit it's what you are doing.

As for me being hypocritical? It would help if you knew about me before making that comment. I have spent countless hours helping others design, setup, build and fix their setups and have never once asked for a dime in return. I no longer do this, why, because too many things were promised to me in return that never came about.

So yes maybe I've lost a bit of respect for the reefing community and yes maybe I am a little bitter with how I see this hobby heading.

BTW, what the heck is an "AE"?

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complaining about the price of coral being kept high by these practices, is no different than complaining about paying over $4 a gallon for gas.

I think you missed my point, and that is most likely my fault. Let's take your jeans for example. 200 pair of "X" jeans are made, 100 go to an upscale store and they brand them as "The best jeans" selling them for $50. The other 100 go to 10 discount stores that don't brand them and sell them for $25. Are they not the same jeans?

My complaint is not with the price, but with the marketing that if it did'nt come from a particular source, it can't be worth as much or even the same coral. This in turn trickles down to the average hobbiest, who now feels the need to brand his corals as LE's (which is totally a false term as far as corals are concerned) to keep his prices up.

Whatever happened to brotherhood and sharing? As far as I can remember, the whole idea of fragging was to make pieces more available to your fellow reefers and to keep the prices down along with, yes, recouping a little of your money. This is slowly going away, now you may as well buy from a retailer as the price gap between the two is shrinking everyday.

I guess my biggest complaint is, if you are in it for the money, admit it, don't come off as you (not you personally) are great person spreading the wealth, when in the end, you are funding your hobby off of others. Again, there is nothing wrong with this, just admit it's what you are doing.

As for me being hypocritical? It would help if you knew about me before making that comment. I have spent countless hours helping others design, setup, build and fix their setups and have never once asked for a dime in return. I no longer do this, why, because too many things were promised to me in return that never came about.

So yes maybe I've lost a bit of respect for the reefing community and yes maybe I am a little bitter with how I see this hobby heading.

BTW, what the heck is an "AE"?

Psychographic, I'm sorry if my response came off as a personal attack. It was not intended as such. As you mentioned, I do not know you personally.
The line of reasoning, however, seems hypocritcal.

Complaining about the price of gas is fundamentally different than complaining about the price of coral. Most of us do not have a choice with regard to gas whereas corals are a pure luxury item.

Value is relative and if the name isn't valuable to you then don't invest in it...buy the unnamed piece and move on. You should be just as happy. Unlike gas, you are not forced to accept the price so why be bitter?

"AE" is "Auction Edition."

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great discussion... I'm glad you guys are behaving... ;)

it's good to have these conversations every once in a while... we all have our own perspective on this topic and I'm glad that we're able to agree to disagree... :)

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psychographic -

Cannot argue that there is or isn't the same coral out there in the ocean, as you can't argue that it is. I could be....maybe, maybe not.

If the person doesn't know for sure, then they shouldn't claim it to be.

In the example you used regarding jeans, that example points out there they are indeed the same ones without a doubt. However, the original poster admitted he wasn't positive if it was the same one or not. Even the person he bought it from wasn't positive.

"That one is from jim. Isaac and Jim where comparing and said the two colonies looked identical."

Of course some are in it for the money, while others just want something really nice that you don't come across everyday at the LFS. Those days of brotherhood and sharing aren't gone. Many people still trade, myself included.

What gets to me is people piggy backing on established named corals, and knowingly passing what looks like the original as the original.

To me its like selling a fake Louis Vuitton bag for $800 when its not the real thing. Sure they look very similar, but they're not. And the person is selling a fake one and passing it on as the real one.....why? Because they can get a whole lot more for it and they know it. Try selling a tyree pink watermelon frag for $180 and see how fast it sells. Then try selling it again making it clear that its not the tyree watermelon but its looks like it and see how fast that sells.

Its sad that people have taken advantage of you, it sounds as though you are a true hobbyist. You don't help people the way you have, unless you enjoy it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back