Orlando Fish Store Tour

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be heading to Orlando in a few weeks (taking the grandkid to Disney), and looking for some local feedback on where else on the map besides WWC to make a point to visit. Time will probably be limited, so your recommendations for the top 4 stores for what I'm into please.
My main interest is oddball and unusual predators. Mainly scorpions (lions (other than the "V word" of course!!), rhinos, goblins, stonefish, etc.), but anything a bit different that doesn't get large enough to swallow a small kitten and doesn't munch on the reef itself (or things that look like the reef!).

Thanks!!!
If you're going to Disney, be sure to check out Epcot if you can one of the days - specifically the living seas. It's got a massive tank with plenty of predators/FOWLR type fish. A separate room has a few other tanks, but one has some type of stonefish if that's your interest.

Each of the stores in Orlando have something to offer, but if you're going solely to look for predators, I'd call ahead. But if you're looking for coral, there's plenty to go around. The stores are spread out & open around noon (even on weekends), so it's tough to cram them all in one day - Orlando traffic can be rough so if you had any other stops you want to see in Orlando, I'd try to combine those into the trip. Disney was like 5 min from the Reefapalooza location. WWC & Reefers Direct are the closest but still 25+ min away. WWC, Top Shelf, & Living Reef all have some spectacular displays that beats any public aquariums. Hope that helps out.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be heading to Orlando in a few weeks (taking the grandkid to Disney), and looking for some local feedback on where else on the map besides WWC to make a point to visit. Time will probably be limited, so your recommendations for the top 4 stores for what I'm into please.
My main interest is oddball and unusual predators. Mainly scorpions (lions (other than the "V word" of course!!), rhinos, goblins, stonefish, etc.), but anything a bit different that doesn't get large enough to swallow a small kitten and doesn't munch on the reef itself (or things that look like the reef!).

Thanks!!!
Oceans Direct in st.cloud/Kissimmee area...stephen is owner there and a great guy...That one with wwc and Top Shelf for your sps and basically all general needs or wants... those would be my top 3 and probably only ones would go to if was time restricted for sure. ..start at oceans direct or top shelf and can work your way from one side to another per say

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWC - can you tell me what these corals are?

1464201294345.jpg

1464201312815.jpg

1464201328795.jpg

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceans Direct in st.cloud/Kissimmee area...stephen is owner there and a great guy...That one with wwc and Top Shelf for your sps and basically all general needs or wants... those would be my top 3 and probably only ones would go to if was time restricted for sure. ..start at oceans direct or top shelf and can work your way from one side to another per say
Quick clarification, the store you are referring to is Reefers Direct in St Cloud.

I would also add, if you are going to make the time to go to Living Reef or Top Shelf then you should also take another 5 min drive down Aloma and go to Ocean Blue. Ocean Blue set the standard for a high end LFS in Orlando (also used to own Living Reef) quite a few years ago. They are not listed in the OP because that is a marketing pic for stores that were represented at RAP. You won't be disappointed with Ocean Blue and it literally is only 5 min down the road from TS.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick clarification, the store you are referring to is Reefers Direct in St Cloud.

I would also add, if you are going to make the time to go to Living Reef or Top Shelf then you should also take another 5 min drive down Aloma and go to Ocean Blue. Ocean Blue set the standard for a high end LFS in Orlando (also used to own Living Reef) quite a few years ago. They are not listed in the OP because that is a marketing pic for stores that were represented at RAP. You won't be disappointed with Ocean Blue and it literally is only 5 min down the road from TS.

I actually meant to mention the same when this thread popped. When I first started this current tank about two years ago a number of fish and corals came from there. The owner Vinh is a really good guy and its a shame what Top Shelf has done to his business. I was there a couple weeks ago and the store was still looking pretty good despite the fact I have heard he's trying to sell now. He has a 20% off sale on a lot of weekends. If you ask he would probably give it to you anyway. Less corals than he used to have but as always probably one of the bigger selections of fish in Orlando area.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mean Reefers Direct my apologies to stephen over there didnt meant to mix it up...i will also say i have been in this hobby around 5 yrs and while ocean blue is near top shelf i drive by it everytime. ..most everything he has is dead in the tanks and his fish are full of disease theyare very nice people just not up to par with everyone else in the area

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mean Reefers Direct my apologies to stephen over there didnt meant to mix it up...i will also say i have been in this hobby around 5 yrs and while ocean blue is near top shelf i drive by it everytime. ..most everything he has is dead in the tanks and his fish are full of disease theyare very nice people just not up to par with everyone else in the area
This is certainly an unfair post if we are to believe what you actually posted. How can we believe that you can see dead coral and diseased fish as you are driving by at 45 mph?

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year when my girlfriend and I was trying to get into the hobby I went to Ocean Blue first. They really didn't come over and talk to us when we were in the store and we shortly left. Went over to Top Shelf. They were more than willing to talk and give us information about everything about the hobby, everything we'd need, and so on. Because of this I shop with the guys at Top Shelf over Ocean Blue. We also have become friend with the guys at Reefers Direct.

But this was my experience with them.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah that's kind of funny and pretty much baseless slander. I went to both places last week and top shelf aside from having a big selection also had by far the most diseased, dead and dying fish in the tanks. They have nice corals these days but the poor fish care/quality has not changed in the past year plus. I saw a couple fish I might have bought but not a chance after seeing the overall condition of the tanks and the amount of disease. They both have fish issues but there certainly were no dead corals at ocean blue and I saw nothing that would have stopped me from buying fish if I wanted anything. In all fairness I rate the quality of fish at many Orlando area shops as poor. The only place I ever buy fish from locally anymore is stormborn reef. Less selection but impeccable quality.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf does have a new QT tank they are setting up and are expanding their show room so once that happens their live stock should get better. Reefers is too since they are making a freshwater fish store.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said been hobby while so i used to go to all the stores all the time as do most new reefers until you realize whats what ....they also used to have better price on oyster feast but seeing how top shelf price match anyways really makes them one stop deal if they have it ...i still swing in from time to time enough to see them add freshwater then get rid of it a couple times over yrs ...everytime i have bothered to stop saying to myself well lets just see if anything changed its same deal dead corals in there tanks particularly that green staghorn which is about only sps they offer anymore and you other posters know just as well as i do if you have any experience in this hobby exactly what im talking about with the fish and corals at that place ...i didnt get in here to knock anybody sorry if came that way but the guy wanted know where to go while was in town thats worth the time and i personaly dont feel its worth the stop if dont have bunch of time as his usually selection for what was mentioned that was wanted i could not recommend someone get without expecting problems ....once again only my opinion we all have one and should all be respected. ..it is another store to stop at and everyone can decide for themselves as to what is good or not

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree as well that fish care now a days in most stores is very poor ...there just trying get them in and out the door not caring for actual well being of the fish.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with that. If I would buy from somewhere and kept having die offs from shopping with them then I'd go else where. So if they want repeat business, and that is how you stay in business in this hobby, they don't want to be getting them in and out so fast they are dying off.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with that. If I would buy from somewhere and kept having die offs from shopping with them then I'd go else where. So if they want repeat business, and that is how you stay in business in this hobby, they don't want to be getting them in and out so fast they are dying off.
Exactly. .. but there are alot of people who blame themselves or there tank for the failure and continue to go back and just keep throwing money at it regardless if it makes sense or not so business will go on regardless

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it that you don't agree with? I don't know of any stores locally that keep their new fish in QT for any amount to time. I work from home and have the opportunity to stop by during the day the fish come in. They come in boxes and the stores start drip acclimating them. After a certain period, the fish go in the tanks and the prices on the front of the tanks get updated. Fish are ready for sale. I haven't really seen any store locally that has the means to keep fish for a couple weeks after they receive them. I have bought fish and left them at the store for a week or so till they eat but that is about the max.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be stopping by on Saturday. We are going to Disney, and I told the wife that WWC is the first stop once we get off the plane!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back