ORP spike when skimmer off

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone explain why my ORP spikes up around 30 points when my skimmer shuts off? The probe is in the return immediately after the skimmer section. This happens whether the return pump is running or not. The spikes on graph show three feedings where the pumps are off, and one early morning when just the skimmer and UV are off for phyto feeding.

2C203880-6BB7-44EE-89B1-B3612E4B87EF.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what is happening when.

Can you clarify what exactly happens in the minutes/seconds preceding each spike?

I expect it is electrical interference, but want to be sure.

Is the tank grounded?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what is happening when.

Can you clarify what exactly happens in the minutes/seconds preceding each spike?

I expect it is electrical interference, but want to be sure.

Is the tank grounded?
Man you know your stuff! I believe you've nailed it. My ORP probe was bundled in my cable management system with the cord from the Varios pump on my skimmer. I'll know soon but I think that's it. btw, is my system grounded if all my electrical is plugged in to grounded power strips, which are plugged into GRFI outlets?

Attachments

• EC110949-1087-4F3F-BF17-CDA2DCB8FE10.png
    EC110949-1087-4F3F-BF17-CDA2DCB8FE10.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • FA7CAC85-355F-4BA6-B23D-72EBAB8C4621.jpeg
    FA7CAC85-355F-4BA6-B23D-72EBAB8C4621.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you know your stuff! I believe you've nailed it. My ORP probe was bundled in my cable management system with the cord from the Varios pump on my skimmer. I'll know soon but I think that's it. btw, is my system grounded if all my electrical is plugged in to grounded power strips, which are plugged into GRFI outlets?
Oops! That didn't fix it. With each of the past two feedings the ORP shot up 30 mv's IMMEDIATELY upon shutting down my skimmer and return pumps, and returned just as fast to the prior level when the feeds finished.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! That didn't fix it. With each of the past two feedings the ORP shot up 30 mv's IMMEDIATELY upon shutting down my skimmer and return pumps, and returned just as fast to the prior level when the feeds finished.

What are you feeding?

what if you shut off like usual but don’t feed?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding?

what if you shut off like usual but don’t feed?
The probe is in the sump. No food or water from the display enters the sump during feeds. I feed frozen three times a day. On the attached graph from today, at 0600 skimmer and UV off for four hours after phyto & MB7 dose. 0800 slight bump as returns off for feeds. Gradual decline until 1000 bump when UV and skimmer go back on. Other spikes are with noon and 1600 feeds. Not sure of cause but it does seem electical.

Attachments

• 1DBA9CAC-2CE7-4578-B28D-FAAB032A0148.jpeg
    1DBA9CAC-2CE7-4578-B28D-FAAB032A0148.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you turn the skimmer and UV on and off independently to see which jumps the ORP reading?
Through process of elimination it has nothing to do with either. I have two COR-20 return pumps one of which is dedicated to the UV unit. It appears switching this pump off triggers the ORP spike. Not sure what that means however I've already had to replace one of my pumps and this is the newer one. Neither is over 8 months old.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through process of elimination it has nothing to do with either. I have two COR-20 return pumps one of which is dedicated to the UV unit. It appears switching this pump off triggers the ORP spike. Not sure what that means however I've already had to replace one of my pumps and this is the newer one. Neither is over 8 months old.

OK, sounds like you have it nailed.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, sounds like you have it nailed.
I tried moving the probe to the opposite side of the return chamber from the pump but nothing changed. The only thing else to try is going behind my control panel and separating that cord from others. Now that I know it's electrical interference and my sump ORP isn't actually changing I'm not sure it's worth messing with.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 questions
i bet we can find your gremlin.
do you have a GCFI on the tank,, and if that answer is yes,
do you have a grounding probe in the sump?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 questions
i bet we can find your gremlin.
do you have a GCFI on the tank,, and if that answer is yes,
do you have a grounding probe in the sump?
All electrical equipment is plugged into grounded power strips which are themselves plugged into GFCI outlets. Does that ground the sump/tank?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are very close.. you just need to put a grounding probe in your sump and plug it into your wall outlet.and i bet your problem disappears.
please only put a probe on your tank if you are sure you have everything on gcfi outlets.
its a $15 fix.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are very close.. you just need to put a grounding probe in your sump and plug it into your wall outlet.and i bet your problem disappears.
please only put a probe on your tank if you are sure you have everything on gcfi outlets.
its a $15 fix.
Does the tank itself need a ground or just the sump? There really are no cords in the display.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ideally get 2 probes and put one in the tank and one in the sump.
that will protect your whole system... but seriously only use probes if you have everything on gcfi.. a probe can be dangerous if you dont have gcfi.

the reason i said to put it in your sump is it looked in your picture like your orp probe is in your sump and your return pumps are there..... doesnt take much stray voltage to register as you are seeing in your graphs.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ideally get 2 probes and put one in the tank and one in the sump.
that will protect your whole system... but seriously only use probes if you have everything on gcfi.. a probe can be dangerous if you dont have gcfi.

the reason i said to put it in your sump is it looked in your picture like your orp probe is in your sump and your return pumps are there..... doesnt take much stray voltage to register as you are seeing in your graphs.
Didn't do ANYTHING ! I have since determined the ORP rise occurs whenever the UV STERILIZER is turned off. Has nothing to do with any of my pumps but since the UV is programmed to shut off in the absence of flow I was misled. The skimmer output does not return to the sump therefore it must be some kind of interference. I wonder if the true value is the one I get when the UV is on, or off.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have determined the ORP rise occurs whenever the UV STERILIZER is turned off for feeds etc. If the UV is off for an extended period of time, such as when bacteria or pods are added, the ORP will gradually drop to its prior levels. Has nothing to do with any of my pumps but since the UV is programmed to shut off in the absence of flow I was misled. The skimmer output does not return to the sump therefore it must be some kind of interference. I wonder if the true value is the one I get when the UV is on, or off. I'm again attaching a pic of my filtration system in case it helps.

C2C6663C-8B90-424C-A069-F394AFCA8B5F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the UV in that picture, and where is the ORP probe?
Well after several false steps I truly believe I have the answer. UV is the large vertical tube on the right. ORP probe is in the return on the right side of the sump but moving it had no effect. This morning I ventured into the maze of wires in the back of the white control board and found a lot of coiled ORP probe wire and UV cord in close proximity to one another. Since I rerouted the probe wire removing it from the box my readings have stabilized. I don't know the physics behind it but happily the higher values appear to be the accurate ones. My ORP is now peaking out at 330 rather than 290-300. Somehow when energized the UV transformer or wires have been suppressing the values.

Attachments

• 842C0D46-56AE-4D9E-BABE-7D353E70998D.jpeg
    842C0D46-56AE-4D9E-BABE-7D353E70998D.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after several false steps I truly believe I have the answer. UV is the large vertical tube on the right. ORP probe is in the return on the right side of the sump but moving it had no effect. This morning I ventured into the maze of wires in the back of the white control board and found a lot of coiled ORP probe wire and UV cord in close proximity to one another. Since I rerouted the probe wire removing it from the box my readings have stabilized. I don't know the physics behind it but happily the higher values appear to be the accurate ones. My ORP is now peaking out at 330 rather than 290-300. Somehow when energized the UV transformer or wires have been suppressing the values.

Glad you got this worked out. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back