Other options besides quarantine

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that....just do the 10g QT setup. Will save so much heartache and $$$. Most on here know this practice works, so if u follow proper QT protocol, it will be one less worry. And as we know in this hobby there can often be bigger tougher problems to figure out. So do yourself a favor....do a QT tank and you and your fish will be much happier!! On a side note I QT and as a last final step before going in DT I like to do a 2 min freshwater RO/DI dip as a final line of defense with ich.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another side note...I got a Uv sterilizer for my tank...but after much reading learned it doesn't help much with Ick....so I basically use mine to "polish" the water and keep certain algae blooms at bay. Should it kill some other parasites in the process great....but I'm not relying on UV to be a pathogen killer. That's just my opinion :)

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed feeling on QT right now honestly. I did start a QT (2 actually) after I had a bad crash with a mix of ich/velvet/brook with my first inhabitants; however, after running the protocol (and leaving the DT fallow) I just introduced a few new fish last week and they showed ich almost immediately. I understand now it may have been because of some corals introduced during the fallow period - so perhaps my fault - but still frustrating. That said, I do strongly believe, at a minimum, the QT is a useful tool for getting fish healthy, eating well, and adjusted prior to being thrown into a more established tank. This has proven to be a big benefit to my current QT inhabitants such as the Copperband Butterfly and Blue Star Leopard Wrasses who can be finicky at first.

Bottom line, while I've had some recent setbacks with QT, I will still quarantine going forward because I believe the benefits outweigh the cons. Good luck ;)

Last edited:

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with QT is that if you didn't start with it I feel its not very useful. There is Ich in my tank already and I am not tearing down the tank to catch my fish. When I set up my next tank I will treat them and start doing QT from there on out since I want to keep tangs.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another mistake people make....is another "introduction" of a fish in QT when u already have fish started on QT period. If u add another fish, u have to reset the "clock" on your QT period to ensure ur not reintroducing Ick/pathogens halfway thru ur first QT period.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with QT is that if you didn't start with it I feel its not very useful. There is Ich in my tank already and I am not tearing down the tank to catch my fish. When I set up my next tank I will treat them and start doing QT from there on out since I want to keep tangs.
While you may have ich in the tank, if you keep QT'ing all new additions you won't introduce something worse; brook, velvet, uronema, etc, etc, etc.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you may have ich in the tank, if you keep QT'ing all new additions you won't introduce something worse; brook, velvet, uronema, etc, etc, etc.
Thanks. I had not seriously considered this. I have a QT that is just not set up and I'll set it up for my next addition. Its a 20g high, Ill just need to pick up a filter.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you QT corals as well or is a dip enough?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it allows your specimen to get adjusted to tank conditions, to you and your feeding habits, without the stressors of any other fish. it allows you to be protected against introducing any other deadly parasites or bacterium. it is very beneficial at any stage really of your stocking plans.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased a few fish from WWC, no issues yet. Although I prefer to buy fish from other hobbyists. My wife just wouldn't be cool with having a 10 or 20g tank with a fish in it for 3 weeks for a QT.

I've got 10 fish and have had zero issues. My parents on the other hand have 2 tanks a 90 and 125 with about 30 total fish. They never QT either, now they have fish that they purchase die within a week or two for no apparent reason, but I've yet to see a disease in their tanks. They literally buy a fish a week..... from some shady places. I'm really not sure how they haven't had to deal with something...

Best of luck to ya! I'm on the no QT train.... For now....

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do not have space for a quarantine tank. I am looking for other proven options. I have a UV starilzer. I have read about fresh water dipping and other methods with buckets. I really don't think they are realistic. They both seem like they would stress the fish. Looking for others experience.
Personally, I believe it would be in your best interest to figure out how to setup a small QT and hospital tank... It really pays off.
But to provide an answer to your original question. There is a product called "Safety Stop" that has some positive reviews. It is "supposed" to be able to be used in lieu of a lengthy quarantine. Never tried it personally so can't give you any direct experience.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, forgot to also say...
Stress? Don't you think that getting caught in the big blue, shipped (I have no idea how many times or how far) until it reaches the dealer/seller is stressful? Shipped yet again to a buyer, maybe just after it mellowed out from its previous travels or maybe not = more stress? Tossed into a tank with strangers that normally they wouldn't hang out with in the big blue, dang that's super stressful! Now the immune system is beat all to heck from the stress, but hey, let's not think about that!:rolleyes:
So the "oh dear, it'll stress the fish" does not fly with me. From what I know about fish and what I've read here from the more experienced...QT is a cake walk in comparison. ;)

dbenenh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you QT corals as well or is a dip enough?

I personally QT everything. Corals are QT'ed 75 days fish are QT'ed 8-10 weeks and treated with prazi and copper. I'm still very new to this but know I want to minimize my chance at having an outbreak. To me its only time.... No point in being in a rush to stock my tank. I got my tank at Christmas and still don't have fish in it lol

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a product called "Safety Stop" that has some positive reviews. It is "supposed" to be able to be used in lieu of a lengthy quarantine. Never tried it personally so can't give you any direct experience.

"Safety Stop" was formerly called "Instant Quarantine." Here is the review I wrote on the Marine Depot website a couple of years ago:

Not a Quarantine
Sustitute

by WILLIAM SCOTT

One Star
Unsatisfactory

Posted: 05/23/2014 from SUNNYVALE, CA UNITED STATES

Experience Level: Expert

Comments: This may be preventative but it just may be a waste of money. As the instructions state, this will not work on sick fish and this is OK. However, if your fish are shipped to you, it is very difficult for most to tell if a fish IS sick. They are generally hungry, could be lacking oxygen, pale, afraid and stressed out. Even sometimes very obvious signs like Marine Ich is not easy to see on a pale fish. Ich is probably one of the most dreaded of diseases to introduce into your tank. This treatment will NOT cure or prevent the spread of Ich and it only takes one little embedded Ich cyst to infect the rest of your tank. When I first read of this product, I thought that this was truly a miracle. It isn't. There is no such thing as "Intstant Quarantine" and there is no shortcut to the standard quarantine process. I used the product and learned the hard way. (The instructions DO advise regular quarantine, but the product name may lead you into a false sense of security.) Rather than subject your new arrivals to this potentially harmful and possibly unnecessary dipping, have a nice, dimly lit quarantine tank ready for them. Feed them. Make them as comfortable as possible and allow them to unstress. Observe carefully and medicate only if it becomes necessary. Your fish will thank you and so will your wallet. "If it sounds too good to be true...

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So help me understand the difference between medicated baths like "safe stop" and quarantine. I understand quarantine last longer. There aren't any other fish to infect. That are you able to do in quarantine that you can't do in the main tank? I get once you have lots of money in your tank it's a good idea.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back