Overdosed stump remover

reeflife3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

A few months ago my No3 and p04 both bottom out at zero. Fearing getting dino's i dosed Neo Phosphate for the P04 and stump remover for the nutrients, the P04 is fine hovering around .02 but I over dosed the stump remover and ended up well over 100ppm. Corals seem to be fine except for ployp extension on my sps, they are still growing but the color and polyp extension isn't there. The question i have does anyone know if there is anything else in the stump remover i should be concerned about?

No3 is currently between 100ppm and 50ppm on the Sailfert kit. I'm using Cheato and weekly water changes to bring down the N03 levels

Tank 60 cube - 40 gallon sump - 8 gallon frag tank
ALK - 9.0 Hanna Checker
Calcium - 460 Sailfert
Mag - 1470 Sailfert
No3 - 75ish Sailfert
Po4 - .02 Hanna checker

Thanks for the help

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 what is stump remover.

I would up your water changes. Either the % or the frequency. Stay on top of cleaning skimmer and socks or whatever filtration you have. Get the levels back to acceptable ranges.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tick...tick...tick....

I'd be doing a few extra WC to get those numbers at least somewhat in line with your normal. Tanks can be run at high nutrients without issue, but going from 0 to 60 in 4 sec should be reserved for a 1964 Pontiac Tempest and not your tanks nutrient level.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh. Yeah I've never heard it called that before. Well the chaeto should be happy. Naw, really though water changes is all you got. I have some nilocg dry ferts and use a calculator on rotalabutterfly.com for EXACT amount to raise to a certain ppm. So if per say you wanted to dose like to 1ppm it will tell you how much to use.

So wait I googled stump removed. You used actual stump remover? You didn't just go to a grow store and buy pharmacy grade potassium nitrate? Or even on nilocg or the like? I'm confused.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I looked up the SDS. Yes it's just 100% Potassium Nitrate. But for like $3 you could have got five pounds Potassium Nitrate. Feed stores, greenhouses, online. Cheap cheap cheap. Phew man, that's scary.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch your ALK as well. nitrate uptake will raise your Alkalinity.

J.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectracide is potassium nitrate. Your major concern is reducing nitrates and that is big water changes, possible carbon dosing and skimming, or macro algae in the refugium. For can’t miss, nothing beats water changes.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 0-20 on nitrate and really stressed out an already stressed out tank. Hopefully you wont see massive die off because of this, it killed many montipora for me but SPS lasted over a month before showing sings of damage. I cant isolate it though because I have a dino bloom as well so hard to tell the cause.

OP
OP
R

reeflife3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone

Its been about 4 or 5 months since I overdosed the tank. Im just going to keep up on my water changes and slowly bring it down

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 0-20 on nitrate and really stressed out an already stressed out tank. Hopefully you wont see massive die off because of this, it killed many montipora for me but SPS lasted over a month before showing sings of damage. I cant isolate it though because I have a dino bloom as well so hard to tell the cause.

Given the Dino bloom could bottoming our phosphate be the cause?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I looked up the SDS. Yes it's just 100% Potassium Nitrate. But for like $3 you could have got five pounds Potassium Nitrate. Feed stores, greenhouses, online. Cheap cheap cheap. Phew man, that's scary.

I don’t recommend it anyway. Cheap comes with the potential for unwanted impurities. Food grade sodium or potassium nitrate is my recommendation. The 100% claim says little to nothing about the purity for our purposes.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino bloom is likely caused by use of chemicals to treat a red but outbreak. They killed off all the pods and probably a lot of other stuff and the tank went out of wack then all it took was a bit of other changes and dinos took off

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm looking to increase my nitrates. Where did you purchase food grade potassium nitrate?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to increase my nitrates. Where did you purchase food grade potassium nitrate?
Amazon had some from a food science website

dosing is wierd, go way slower then you think you need to. I think once you raise nitrates above 0 something else kicks in (or at least it did in my tank and that causes them to go way higher)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon had some from a food science website

dosing is wierd, go way slower then you think you need to. I think once you raise nitrates above 0 something else kicks in (or at least it did in my tank and that causes them to go way higher)

sounds like maybe some nitrite interference in nitrate testing, unless you did the math incorrectly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back