Overflow box

sorin_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I want to upgrade my reef tank from 118 gal to 211 gal. That include a new tank and a new overflow box
At this moment i have a animal bean overflow with internal box. I think i made a mistake and it is very loud when water is falling inside the box. When i try to rise level in the box the open chanel kickin and it is also noisy.
Now, i wish to make a new overflow, also animal bean but with an external box (like the transparent one in the poctures) .
What i don’t understand, in this case isn’t also noisy? Becouse that also have an internal box.
I see that holes in the glass must be at level with siphone drain, open chanel up and water level between that two.
What do i miss and not doing right?
I put some picture with my actual overflow and how i wish to make the new one.
The black ones are mine. The one transparent is from internet, it is what i like to do: but i see that if i made like that water level in tank is low. Adding a intrenal box (like in that Fiji one) doesn’t do the same noise?
Thank you

57055213-b4f4-422e-b8e5-ff1262a706e6.jpeg d7a18157-94f1-4f81-a7cf-4924d89b2653.jpeg IMG_8552.png IMG_8555.png

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you try to raise the water level in the overflow box?

There are 3 ways to raise the water level:
a) raise the height of the siphon and open channel pipes
b) close the siphon gate valve so the overflow box drains slower
c) increase the speed of your return pump to add water to the tank quicker than it drains through the overflow

a) is the proper way to do it.
b) will cause the open channel to become submerged and kick in (this sounds like your case)
c) will cause your return chamber to get low

Usually, the siphon channel should be tall enough so that it is only about 0.5 inches to 1 inch below the vertical cutouts the water enters the overflow through. This way, when the overflow is in operation, the water line will be near the top of the siphon pipe and the water will only fall about 0.5 inches when it passes through the cutouts ... a make very little noise.

OP
OP
sorin_ss

sorin_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to raise level by closing gate valve. In my box i don’t have what to do because siphone and open drain are at very close hight!
It’s nothing to do there - noise or in overflow box or on open chanel drain.
My questions was: if i made the box externally how i made an internal box for bulkheads?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I only have experience with 3-hole, bean animal style overflow boxes that are built onto the aquarium. I have never installed one that connects with bulkheads.

Perhaps, the instructions and video for these two bulkhead style overflows will provide information that answers your question:

Good luck!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a weird design (the clear box you pictured above is mine). So you basically have 3 drains there..the one facing up shouldn't have water in it when working properly. It is your emergency drain. The siphon is the one with the gate valve on it that flows the majority of the the water without mixing any air in it, and should be completely silent. The other one facing down should have a small hole drilled in the top so that air can escape, and should only flow the slightest trickle of water through it. That is the one that actually sets the water level inside the overflow box. The problem is that it is at the same level as the siphon line, so so you can't really adjust it up or down. Are the 90's glued into the bulkheads?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back