Overflow leak on custom tank

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a custom acrylic tank and am working on getting it set up. I am ready to leak test but had to order a different return pump. In the meantime, I put 2 cups of water into the overflow just to test the bulkhead installation. It’s been like that for days but I just noticed the overflow is leaking into the tank! It’s leaking along the bottom seam. So this will mean that my tank will potentially flood my sump as the overflow will never be fully empty, right? ***…they already messed up multiple things on this tank (back color is wrong and return is the wrong size and configuration). This seems like it makes the tank completely useless.
EEB65E92-238D-40D1-A2F5-DBCA9CBC176B.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly should I handle this with the builder? I should not have to be fixing this tank so much and frankly makes me question how it will hold up. Thoughts on that?

I did another test and it’s right at the corner:
E564A583-E0BA-4C10-B5E5-3AF16865D721.jpeg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you how you deal with the builder... Acrylic tanks are fairly flexible by nature and it's not unusual to have a seam leak after moving the tank. I'd keep a can of Weld-On on hand at all times if I owned an acrylic tank just for piece-of-mind (this is one reason I don't buy acrylic tanks)..

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if it was me, and there were already SO much wrong with it, I would ask for a new tank. Sure it's a real easy fix, as mentioned above, a quick bead of Weldon will seal it right up. However in your post I think you hit the nail on the head. You should not have to deal with so much wrong and I believe the onus is on the manufacturer here to make it right.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if it was me, and there were already SO much wrong with it, I would ask for a new tank. Sure it's a real easy fix, as mentioned above, a quick bead of Weldon will seal it right up. However in your post I think you hit the nail on the head. You should not have to deal with so much wrong and I believe the onus is on the manufacturer here to make it right.
I know that's the right answer, which puts it another 3 months out at least. Sigh...I ordered this in June or July.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you how you deal with the builder... Acrylic tanks are fairly flexible by nature and it's not unusual to have a seam leak after moving the tank. I'd keep a can of Weld-On on hand at all times if I owned an acrylic tank just for piece-of-mind (this is one reason I don't buy acrylic tanks)..
I've never heard this before. I owned two other custom acrylic tanks and never had an issue with either of those. The seams should be much stronger than siliconed glass seams.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at a custom tank builder and in the short term, acrylic is much more likely to leak... after 5-10 years silicone becomes more of a problem.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that's the right answer, which puts it another 3 months out at least. Sigh...I ordered this in June or July.

It sucks I know, I waited about 6 months for my custom tank. It would be a hard pill to swallow, however, you paid most likely a premium for a custom tank built to your specs. If they have failed to do so, they should be making it right. I would rather wait for my perfect tank, then settle for flaws...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go back to the vendor, have them make it right or get a partial refund and fix it yourself.

Had a issue with a sump leaking at a outside corner on a previous setup. I sealed it myself, got the vendor involved, he gave me a partial refund (30%) and it worked out.

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what kind of price are you paying to have a custom tank built?

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what kind of price are you paying to have a custom tank built?
Around $1900 for stand, tank, canopy, and shipping. Pretty comparable to a non-custom tank but I wanted specific dimensions and wanted acrylic to be a certain thickness. The tank is about 60 gallons, for reference.

F862681B-05BD-45F3-A166-F72CCDE87874.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go back to the vendor, have them make it right or get a partial refund and fix it yourself.

Had a issue with a sump leaking at a outside corner on a previous setup. I sealed it myself, got the vendor involved, he gave me a partial refund (30%) and it worked out.
They offered a couple of options and I’m just waiting on a couple more questions to decide. I haven’t asked for a discount at this point. I feel weird about it because they already gave me a discount because they messed up the color of the back (I wanted blue but it’s black). They gave me an overall 10% discount which, because the stand and canopy were more expensive than the tank, ended up almost 30% of the tank cost. I feel like I should ask for a discount but the tank has a lifetime warranty so I don’t want to tick them off.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They offered a couple of options and I’m just waiting on a couple more questions to decide. I haven’t asked for a discount at this point. I feel weird about it because they already gave me a discount because they messed up the color of the back (I wanted blue but it’s black). They gave me an overall 10% discount which, because the stand and canopy were more expensive than the tank, ended up almost 30% of the tank cost. I feel like I should ask for a discount but the tank has a lifetime warranty so I don’t want to tick them off.
Nice setup! Either way get the leak fixed before you put in a drop of water. I'm with everyone else, weld on 16 is your friend. The question is are you or the shop going to do it. I lean towards have the shop do it, should of been leak tested before being released to the customer and who knows how poor the weld was in the first place? Bet the shop will just fill in the leak the same as others have said to do. In my situation, I fixed the leaky acrylic sump myself after knowing the vendor was just going to fill It in and not replace it and I was happy with the 30% being refunded back to my credit card.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! Either way get the leak fixed before you put in a drop of water. I'm with everyone else, weld on 16 is your friend. The question is are you or the shop going to do it. I lean towards have the shop do it, should of been leak tested before being released to the customer and who knows how poor the weld was in the first place? Bet the shop will just fill in the leak the same as others have said to do. In my situation, I fixed the leaky acrylic sump myself after knowing the vendor was just going to fill It in and not replace it and I was happy with the 30% being refunded back to my credit card.
I’m super hesitant to ship it back as it’s not local. To do it, I’d also have to cut my unions off and dang, I’d really like to not have to do that! I couldn’t use the original crate either because it was shipped with the stand. I am going to see if I can extend my main standpipe higher as back up protection. Not sure I have the room though with the euros in there

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super hesitant to ship it back as it’s not local. To do it, I’d also have to cut my unions off and dang, I’d really like to not have to do that! I couldn’t use the original crate either because it was shipped with the stand. I am going to see if I can extend my main standpipe higher as back up protection. Not sure I have the room though with the euros in there
Then since you have to ship it, I'd demand a partial refund and fill in the gaps with Weldon and be done with it. I was lucky, my vendor was local here in California (20-30 minute drive), so it was easier to deal with. Either way good luck!

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then since you have to ship it, I'd demand a partial refund and fill in the gaps with Weldon and be done with it. I was lucky, my vendor was local here in California (20-30 minute drive), so it was easier to deal with. Either way good luck!
How did you fix the sump? I'm curious if I'm going to have to lay my tank down on it's back, or if I can leave the seam vertical for the repair (one of my outstanding questions).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you fix the sump? I'm curious if I'm going to have to lay my tank down on it's back, or if I can leave the seam vertical for the repair (one of my outstanding questions).
Yellow circle is where it leaked, I basically flipped it on its side, put in a small bead of weld on 16 on the inside edge of the corner and ran it across to the blue chamber wall. Let it cure, turned it over on its end and ran a bead from end to end, inner surface on the clear side. Cured right up and it worked for over a year. Another reefer is using the tank and sump to this day with no issues.

I suggest painters tape to help hold it all together if you have a major gap, if not, the Weldon should fill in without a problem.

Attachments

• 20210424_135120_HDR~3.jpg
    20210424_135120_HDR~3.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow circle is where it leaked, I basically flipped it on its side, put in a small bead of weld on 16 on the inside edge of the corner and ran it across to the blue chamber wall. Let it cure, turned it over on its end and ran a bead from end to end, inner surface on the clear side. Cured right up and it worked for over a year. Another reefer is using the tank and sump to this day with no issues.

I suggest painters tape to help hold it all together if you have a major gap, if not, the Weldon should fill in without a problem.
Thanks! The gap is just big enough to fit my fingernail in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back