OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot the pic of the LTA that will be going in the tank as well.

425AFB02-6AAE-4F26-86CC-8AB490FEE2A4.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had 30 gallons of saltwater made up, almost 200 gallons of fresh, but only enough salt for 14 gallons. ;Facepalm Forgot to add that to the planning part lol. Chugging coffee now and then off to town I shall go for some more salt.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is wet and running. We are going to try some small puffers with some zoas, lps, and a few acros I picked up that are brown as mud. When the puffers grow, or eat things, they will move to the puffer tank. He wanted to try a reef with puffers, so we shall see lol.

Stuff is already starting to open up.
B4273AA2-B2A2-4878-9362-2DFA12D03411.jpeg

The porc, I think he is still mad about his time in QT.
F1940846-C259-4B42-B0A9-4BACE332AE64.jpeg

The spiney box, it could care less about having been in QT.
9A40B1FF-7027-42F5-9A06-DB8B317D4D63.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things looking good this morning. Water is not cloudy at all due to 3 hours of rinsing the sand lol. All zoas are open and the torch frags are open as well. Also, no corals have been eaten by the puffers yet.

91A370C3-C121-426F-9977-0E8644ACC6A1.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I need to get some pics, as everything is opened and doing well. The 6 new bulbs for the fixture arrive today from BRS. Hoping the delivery people do not bust them to pieces. We were going for about a 14-16k look but he really loves the look of the 48x36 frag tank I have and it is close to the 20k side of things using T5 and a DIY Led strip. The pics of the bubble nems is that tank. So his new bulbs are 4x blue+, 1x Coral Plus, and 1X True Actinic. I will also be making a custom LED strip for the fixture this weekend to include a few UV Leds, some 420s and some 460s. Going to hook them to a LED controller with timer and dimming. Basically I am cloning my modified ATI fixture. It is amazing what you can do with a ton of old black boxes laying around and some aluminum sheet. Hope to have nice sunrise and sunset going with the LED strip as well as get some shimmer in there from the LEDs.

Once all of that is done, I will snag some pics.

Ohh, and after a 3 day fast, the puffers only ate 2 hermits and no corals lol. The hermits were a test also.

Edit: We will be putting the gyres in there this weekend as well. They needed a good cleaning, so we are going to go over that Saturday morning and then putting in the tank. The cheapo ones are doing well for the interim though.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the bulbs in. We decided against the true actinic and used a P+ instead. So it is 4x B+, 1x P+, and 1x C+. He loves the look and it actually makes things pop pretty well. Next comes him cleaning things after football practice tomorrow lol.

3D5C8B52-1261-47EB-8A05-0786B178826E.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no new pics as I forgot to take some, but the new sand has caused the expected diatom bloom. It is clearing up and the conch is loving it lol.

The puffers have found a taste for zoas and we moved all of the corals back to the frag tank. Worth a shot lol. So he still wants this to be a reef tank, but we may let these guys grow a bit and then move them to the aggressive tank. Not sure how the porc that is in there will react to the little porc. Large acclimation box is in the mail to see. I am not worried about the spiney box going in there, as it will be the only one.

Once that gets here, we will put him in the box and see how things go. If it does not work out, we will more then likely rehome the little guy.

Either way, I now have Paxtin making a fish list. So far it involves a ton of anthias and a few gobies lol. I think he is seriously dead set on a large group of female lyretails.

Kenneth Hooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching thread intensely. I just happen to be starting a 75 gal as well so very interesting in your sump plumbing (never done one) without drilling the tank. What check valve are you using and what about the 'siphon break'? What is it and how?

thanks. Love the corals you have and love the aquascape.

Ken

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching thread intensely. I just happen to be starting a 75 gal as well so very interesting in your sump plumbing (never done one) without drilling the tank. What check valve are you using and what about the 'siphon break'? What is it and how?

thanks. Love the corals you have and love the aquascape.

Ken
The tank was reef ready, and does not use a check valve. They always fail at the worst time.

As for the siphon break, my return comes up through the overflow, has a "T" at the top and then 2x locline coming out of the "T". I took and drilled 2 small holes in the "T" just below the water line and facing down into the overflow. The water will drain just a bit from the DT, the holes then suck air and it breaks the siphon. Biggest thing is to make sure your sump has the room for the extra water before you get to the holes.

Another option is to just have the return nozzles right below the top of the water line and room for that water to drain. Once it drains to that, air enters the nozzles and the siphon breaks.

Edit: I will snag some pics of the drain plumbing when I get home. I think it will explain it a little better. The return plumbing is temporary right now, as I had to order some PVC to do the returns over the back. I do not like having a single drain lol.

Kenneth Hooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was reef ready, and does not use a check valve. They always fail at the worst time.

As for the siphon break, my return comes up through the overflow, has a "T" at the top and then 2x locline coming out of the "T". I took and drilled 2 small holes in the "T" just below the water line and facing down into the overflow. The water will drain just a bit from the DT, the holes then suck air and it breaks the siphon. Biggest thing is to make sure your sump has the room for the extra water before you get to the holes.

Another option is to just have the return nozzles right below the top of the water line and room for that water to drain. Once it drains to that, air enters the nozzles and the siphon breaks.

Edit: I will snag some pics of the drain plumbing when I get home. I think it will explain it a little better. The return plumbing is temporary right now, as I had to order some PVC to do the returns over the back. I do not like having a single drain lol.
I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. I hope to set up my sump/refurg this weekend. Mine is cycling now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back