Painting pvc pipe?

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm wanting to maybe get a little fancy with some sump pipes and paint them to match everything. Can the outside of the pvc be painted with Rustoleum Spray paint? The pvc will not be in the water, just from my tank to my sump bulkheads. Bad idea? Been done before with success? I have the pipe at home, just don't want white......

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not below the water line you will be fine. Mine is painted with valspar spray i believe was the brand, and i have zero issues in / out of water. You can still use below the water line as long as you allow it to fully cure first , but i have found in the past that things like urchins will chip paint off pretty fast.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used painted PVC below water, but did paint some supports some time ago. The supports are painted with rustoleum and are located by the water line without issue. The only issue I see is gluing. Will the paint weaken the bond? Masking off the glue ends would be a good move or gluing a painting the section.

Last edited:

Kamozreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used painted PVC below water, be did paint some supports some time ago. The supports are paint with rustoleum and are located by the water line without issue. The only issue I see is gluing. Will the paint weaken the bond? Masking off the glue ends work be a good move or gluing a painting the section.

Glue the pipe up then paint

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used painted PVC below water, be did paint some supports some time ago. The supports are paint with rustoleum and are located by the water line without issue. The only issue I see is gluing. Will the paint weaken the bond? Masking off the glue ends work be a good move or gluing a painting the section.

I always do a Dry Fit so I can get everything cut to length and positioned the way it needs to be, then glue everything together and paint the finished piece. If that is not an option then you should most definitely tape off the ends where the glue would be. Also I highly recommend you give the pvc a light sanding to ensure the paint adheres to the plastic properly

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what it sounds like I might just take the pipe back to Home Depot and just order some black pvc online. Just don't want to take the chances and I found I get the amount I need in the black for the same price I paid for the regular pipe and paint! Thanks for your comments and opinions! Y'all rock!

OP
OP
Niterunner77

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch that you get black pvc and not black ABS plastic pipe online. BRS sells colored PVC for around $9 for 5 feet.... white PVC is only about $4.40 for a 10 foot piece.
IMG_1211.PNG
It says PVC

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1211.PNG
It says PVC

Yes, and more importantly, it says it's actually schedule 40... good find! I think furniture grade only means its UV resistant and usually a glossy finish. Make sure the fittings you find are also schedule 40 and not schedule 20.

Billy Pipes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm wanting to maybe get a little fancy with some sump pipes and paint them to match everything. Can the outside of the pvc be painted with Rustoleum Spray paint? The pvc will not be in the water, just from my tank to my sump bulkheads. Bad idea? Been done before with success? I have the pipe at home, just don't want white......
You
You can 100% use krylon fusion in and out of water. All other paints are fine as long as you don't submerge them.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went all over town and couldn't find Krylon Fusion anywhere. Good old Amazon Prime had it delivered in 2 days. ..one can ended up around $9, I believe.

Billy Pipes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went all over town and couldn't find Krylon Fusion anywhere. Good old Amazon Prime had it delivered in 2 days. ..one can ended up around $9, I believe.
I know Walmart and ace hardware usually has it in stock. But Walmart is hit or miss. I've had the krylon submerged for about 3 years now with no problems at all.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You

You can 100% use krylon fusion in and out of water. All other paints are fine as long as you don't submerge them.

Interesting. What did you paint with the krylon fusion?

I want my intake tubes in my tank to be black to blend with the back panel but I always assumed that wasn't possible.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want my intake tubes in my tank to be black to blend with the back panel but I always assumed that wasn't possible.

I'm setting up my tank now and purchaded Krylon Fusion to pain the return line black since its an over the rim return... didn't want the white pic showing. This is where I've read most people have used this paint as well.

Billy Pipes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used krylon fusion spray paint. I painted the overflow box and pipes that are inside my tank. You can see it on my YouTube channel. It's "Billy Pipes" look at my 75 euphyllia reef tank videos. Let the paint dry for 24-48 hours and it's good to go

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back