Palytoxin: Can dissolving Palythoa release the toxin?

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have around 21kg of love rock heavily covered in Palythoa (seems that it's most likely the dangerous specie).
I would like to put it all into a sump, without lighting and wait until it dissolves. Would it endanger myself and my livestock? Of course Activated Carbon will be used all the time, but I still wonder if such approach is wise to proceed with.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have around 21kg of love rock heavily covered in Palythoa (seems that it's most likely the dangerous specie).
I would like to put it all into a sump, without lighting and wait until it dissolves. Would it endanger myself and my livestock? Of course Activated Carbon will be used all the time, but I still wonder if such approach is wise to proceed with.

How much would 21kg of rocks take to replace?

How much would your doctor's visit, steroid cream(s, and more?) as well as any potential other aquarium loss cost?

I'd vote just buy some replacement rock. Whatever it is worth, it just isn't worth the $$$... and I'm not counting in anything for the pain and itch (and embarrassment as people can see my hand and arm) ... and no, I still don't wear gloves...

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another member on here wrote a post about where he had a paly colony on a rock out in the texas heat for a lil over a week or so and decided to use that rock again and had placed the rock in his house and I forget the exact details but, long story short….all occupants of the house ended up in the hospital with varying symptoms from the toxins released.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it outside for 4-5 weeks. Rise it off with a garden hose and it should be good to go. Palytoxin breaks down pretty quickly without water.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another member on here wrote a post about where he had a paly colony on a rock out in the texas heat for a lil over a week or so and decided to use that rock again and had placed the rock in his house and I forget the exact details but, long story short….all occupants of the house ended up in the hospital with varying symptoms from the toxins released.
Over a month in Alabama - here’s the link:

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a month in Alabama - here’s the link:
Lol, THATS the one!!! Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it outside for 4-5 weeks. Rise it off with a garden hose and it should be good to go. Palytoxin breaks down pretty quickly without water.

How do you know that? Very few organics degrade faster when dry than when wet.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know that? Very few organics degrade faster when dry than when wet.
I read this in a paper produced by ATLANTOX some 20 years ago (sorry I don't have more detial committed to memory at this point). PTX is primarily a hemoragic toxin which is more effective in liquid form. In truth I recall that exposure to sunlight when dry is also a contributing factor to the breakdown of the relatively large palytoxin molecule.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this in a paper produced by ATLANTOX some 20 years ago (sorry I don't have more detial committed to memory at this point). PTX is primarily a hemoragic toxin which is more effective in liquid form. In truth I recall that exposure to sunlight when dry is also a contributing factor to the breakdown of the relatively large palytoxin molecule.
Ok, I personally expect wet degrades faster than dry in almost any given setting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I read that according to scientists, Activated charcoal can clear out 99.97%) of Palytoxin within 24h once put into aquarium. I guess dissolving Palythoa shouldn't be releasing toxins as immediately as put under a short lasting stress, so I am assuming this should be a safe option. What do you think considering this perspective?

I need to handle it somehow, as many of my LPS and SPS corals have this Palythoa polyps on it. It's everywhere... I will need to detach it from corals anyway. I am planning to take one polyp sample and send it to local tropical diseases lab for testing of toxins content before I start doing anything more.
Screenshot_2022-09-21-19-22-00-49_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my tank crash, I had some surviving palys in my tank that I didn't want anymore. Since the tank had to cycle again, I just blacked it out with black garbage bags and jacked up the temp to 85 degrees. 6 weeks in total darkness and those MF's survived! They were shrunken down and brown, but still alive. I couldn't believe it. I ended up taking the rock out and let it bake in the sun for a few days. I then scrubbed the rocks with a brush to get off any organic material. The next day I had a fever, chills, and body aches. 24 hours later, I was totally fine. So yeah, those things can survive a nuclear war. Just get new rock.

OP
OP
T

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next day I had a fever, chills, and body aches. 24 hours later, I was totally fine. So yeah, those things can survive a nuclear war. Just get new rock.

Maybe a few months would do the job - I have time...

Did you use glasses, gloves and a mask during the cleaning?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I read that according to scientists, Activated charcoal can clear out 99.97%) of Palytoxin within 24h once put into aquarium. I guess dissolving Palythoa shouldn't be releasing toxins as immediately as put under a short lasting stress, so I am assuming this should be a safe option. What do you think considering this perspective?

I need to handle it somehow, as many of my LPS and SPS corals have this Palythoa polyps on it. It's everywhere... I will need to detach it from corals anyway. I am planning to take one polyp sample and send it to local tropical diseases lab for testing of toxins content before I start doing anything more.
Screenshot_2022-09-21-19-22-00-49_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

I'm not surprised it binds well to GAC as I expect it would based on its structure. Whether that is sufficient to eliminate safety issues, I do not know.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back