Panta Rhei ECM42 Hydro Wizard Pump

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bump this up with a question.

Running the larger ECM pumps on longer tanks, do you guys worry there is too much flow on the pump side?

When looking at 8 or 10 foot tanks thats alot of flow between 1 and 3 feet to push 8 or 10 feet.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 or 10 feet - you would need probably ECM 63 . You mount them high in the tank so that nothing comes in 1 feet of the pump - not even your hand :D . It might rip your flesh off your bones or break your bone

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other issue I see is the price. Nearly 2x the price for 2/3 the flow of an MP40.

Am I missing something?

I really wish Panta Rhei would come out with something about 5000 gph. Its a large jump from the 42 to the 63in terms of GPH and even cost.

Last edited:

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ECM42s. I used to use two Tunze 6105s - one at 100% (rated at 3500 gph) and the other on pulse. I cannot run one ECM42 at 100%, it moves way more water even though it’s rated at only 2900 gph. The other nice feature is it can run backwards every 15, 30 or 60 minutes for a few seconds to kick out junk caught in the fish guard.

Dz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 5x5 tank. Ran 8 mp40’s. Went to 4 tunze stream 3 and now moving to 2 42 pros. When it arrives will update but I suspect it will be amazing

Dz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates
Yea man. On IG euphyllialife.
I made a the pulse back and forth. That was sweet. Then made my high and low tides. I tested the frequency. Basically if you want to move water it works but it’s not a stop shop sadly. Needs other pumps around it.
My tank is a 5x5 I would have been better served with 4 42’s instead of 2 63’s. Hard part is my tank more than anything. If I had a 6x2 these would work perfect.
They aren’t small but can pack a serious punch. Like them more than mp40’s as they don’t have the algae build up around the wet side. My scrapper can get back behind it. Ohh and the wet sides don’t just fall off.
I like my tunze streams 3 better just from a size perspective but the Panta is mountable on in the middle unlike the tunze.

my tank being long and wide makes this harder to use but it’s a good pump. If a normal tank where it’s longer than wider, amazing pump. If you have serious width then consider smaller ones.

oddly enough my clams seriously enjoy being blasted by them while all my Euphyllia/LPs had to be moved towards the back.

I plan to build separate schedules vs have them synced so that it’s closer to nature. Whatever side the pump is on is the side the fish will be on unless water in the column. You know it’s strong when you see fish start to barrel roll if they get caught in the flow. I used air stone to get my flow how I want it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back