Panther Grouper

abreifmanup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my maroon clownfish's tail hanging out of his mouth , I still cant believe he killed and fit him in his mouth .smh
e36c19c1eb7026685695d2c8ce26a02c.jpg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroon clowns are jerks anyways. I sold a blue spotted grouper that was only like 3-4 inches long, and the guy knowing full well it was incredibly aggressive and it managed to eat almost everything in his tank. I have what was labeled as a spotted grouper and I'm not too sure of what he is, but he'll destroy anything except my mombasa lion

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef to reef. Bummer first post was about fish loss.

Quick question. They get big. What size is your tank and who else is left in there. Wanna trynand avoid this from happening again

And #WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
abreifmanup

abreifmanup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks are 35 and 45 gallons
My wife put the maroon clownfish in with the panther grouper the other day because she said it didn't look happy with the other ocellaris clowns . My reply was of course "never move my fish without asking me first and , well does the fish look happier now "?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks are 35 and 45 gallons
My wife put the maroon clownfish in with the panther grouper the other day because she said it didn't look happy with the other ocellaris clowns . My reply was of course "never move my fish without asking me first and , well does the fish look happier now "?

My wife has made many of our fish happy by arranging things, but I think your wife may have one up on her this time.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
abreifmanup

abreifmanup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is impressive, it is ashamed the number of panthers being sold to the unexpected. I see some online retailers recommend a 50g, and I had an idiot at an lfs recommend one to me for a 40B.
By the time he out grows the tank which I highly doubt will happen anytime soon my 100 gallon tank will be built and ready . Please do not assume all people who are in the hobby are ignorant or that common sense is absent minded . I know they grow to be large fish and I also know they are aggressive and I also have done my research on the species of fish . But nice touch @lion king with the discreet verbiage used to imply that I was just another newby saltwater fish keeper . Yes it is "ashame" I agree with you there !

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@abreifmanup I did not read @lion king post as trying to slight you in any way. I read it as a just a comment about the enormous size these fish grow to and the voracious appetites they have. Many LFS are not upfront with customers about this, and people loose fish because of it...and this is a prime example with the clownfish. Not to mention they place the grouper in a tank that is soon to be way too small, when they may not have plans or means to upgrade.

While you are not a newbie, apparently your wife did not understand what the grouper was capable of or she may have reconsidered which tank the clown fish’s “happy place” was located.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not trying to slight you in any way, I was mentioning how misleading suppliers can be. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but a 100g will be ok for this fish for about a year. These panthers get over a foot in no time and their appetite is voracious. Most lfs(likely almost all) will not take them back, and I have seen countless of these fish euthanized when the hobbyist seems as if they have no other choice. The absolute minimum for this fish should be in the 300g range. In all decency this fish should be left in the ocean as very few have the system to adequately take care of them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back