Par Meter target for Acro dominated tank?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was suggested I post this here instead of the lighting thread:

I have 3 Reefi Uno Pro 2s over a 4 ft tank (reefer 425). Lights are about 13 inches off the water. I have a ton of flow in the tank and I plan on going with mostly acropora and pretty much all SPS in the tank. I’ve seen a lot of conflicting things and was hoping for some clarification on how to tune my lights. I have a par meter. I saw on BRS they reccomend 250-300 for acros. If I tune the top of my rocks to 300 (half way up the tank around 12-13 inch from bottom) then my bottom rocks are out of the 250 range. I asked the guy from battle corals who I ordered my first frags from and he said he tunes his to around 400. Can someone please help clarify what I should tune my lights to for the best chance at success

Thanks so much.

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Acropora and other high-light SPS corals, aim for a PAR range of 250–400 at the top of your rocks when using Reefi Uno Pro 2 lights for optimal lighting for your reef tank. To satisfy the differing light needs of different corals, create distinct lighting zones with higher intensities at the top and lower levels toward the bottom. To obtain the optimal development and health, keep track of your corals' responses over time and make modifications as necessary. you can always start in an acclimation mode. Hope this helps!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with those lights, but we shoot for 450 at the top and 200+ at the bottom which allows placement of Acros anywhere in the tank including the bottom.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank (and coral) is different. Just pick a number between 300-400 for the top and adjust from there over time, watching your coral. Most will adapt to whatever number you pick.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back