Par question AP700

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's a 72". The two fixtures are 5 inches apart which makes the pucks 12" apart. How far apart would you recommend spacing them? The meter is a Bio-tek marine.

Also has anyone ever had the lights randomly turn on and off? I've noticed them randomly turn on at night at like 1am. Then turn back off. Even today I noticed one side go dim then go back to normal. I wasn't even in the app so I'm not sure how that happened.

As far as spacing I would divide the tank in half and center each one over its own half of the tank and lower the light to about 7-8" off the water, maybe 9". Your tank is deeper than mine so you don't need to have it higher, 7" is the sweet spot for 36" spread I found. Even maybe lower inyour case.

Edited above

There is a known bug in older app versions and firmware. Make sure you have the most current of both.

You need to keep in mind that this light wasn't designed to create high PAR/PUR number "hot spots". It's designed to have a nice even coverage of light that will grow anything, and everything, everywhere. Once you have the light positioned look to the lower part of the tank and make sure your getting good spread and coverage there, you will be surprised.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as spacing I would divide the tank in half and center each one over its own half of the tank and lower the light to about 7-8" off the water.

There is a known bug in older app versions and firmware. Make sure you have the most current of both.

You need to keep in mind that this light wasn't designed to create high PAR/PUR number "hot spots". It's designed to have a nice even coverage of light that will grow anything, and everything, everywhere. Once you have the light positioned look to the lower part of the tank and make sure your getting good spread and coverage there, you will be surprised.
+1 to all the above. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Cherish.merenda

Cherish.merenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as spacing I would divide the tank in half and center each one over its own half of the tank and lower the light to about 7-8" off the water, maybe 9". Your tank is deeper than mine so you don't need to have it higher, 7" is the sweet spot for 36" spread I found. Even maybe lower inyour case.

Edited above

Awesome thanks for the plethora of info. Appreciate it! :)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 Kessil A360we's on a three foot tank. Six foot long tank needs at least 6 A360we's for SPS to minimize shadowing etc.

Agreed, now he has the AP700 which is at least equal to >2.5 X 360WE. They where ideally meant for a 36X24" area, yet very adaptable to larger.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i was reading the comments some one said run the lights with no red or green light the a360we, is the green and red spectrum any benefit or just visual when mixed in?

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so does absolutely nothing for growth ? just curious cause I run the a360we and have amazing growth and color on LPS and upgrading tanks and want the ap700 and will mirror my settings i currently have ofcourse i know they are stronger and the blue is deeper but should be about the same effect i hope @bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so does absolutely nothing for growth ? just curious cause I run the a360we and have amazing growth and color on LPS and upgrading tanks and want the ap700 and will mirror my settings i currently have ofcourse i know they are stronger and the blue is deeper but should be about the same effect i hope @bif24701

Exactly. The green and reds won't help your corals but they do have some value. If you want a look that has a little more white but still want to keep all the blue spectrum you can do that by adding just a little green and red. Use them to help balance whatever look you want. You can achieve the same look you have now with the 360s but have more options.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back