PAR readings a surprise!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got my Apogee MQ-510 tonight. I am surprised at some of the readings that I got, I thought my lights were turned up way to much, but according to the par meter it was no where near what it needed to be. So now I feel good about turning them up! Just wanted to share my excitement!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My PAR meter is probably the best tool I've ever bought. Being able to tune my light and actually compare it to other successful tanks has taken out so much guess work.

Whiskey
Agree...and especially true with T5's as the output will diminish with age.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It the best tool I ever spend to keep Acropora
I can’t keep sps under 6bulbs T5 8” about water on Red Sea 170 reefer, sps will Stn /burn tips/brown out,when I test the par to my surprise it under 150 par on the sand bed where I keep my sps.
After I low the light to about 250-400 par,now I’m able to keep Acropora with out any issue
T5 has very weak par output IMO

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t keep sps under 6bulbs T5 8” about water on Red Sea 170 reefer, sps will Stn /burn tips/brown out,when I test the par to my surprise it under 150 par on the sand bed where I keep my sps.
After I low the light to about 250-400 par,now I’m able to keep Acropora with out any issue
I’m surprised to see good growth with 6 at 80%. I do wonder if I could tune it up to 100 without a meter i hesitate

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends what T5 setup you run.

T5s put out plenty of PAR to keep any coral we want. Nearly 2 decades worth of evidence prove this.

I would say your setup isn't up to par if you can't provide enough light for SPS

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to buy new I think a 4xT5 for a 20” deep x 24 wide tank is probably plenty

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I am pretty impressed to say the least. I wonder if the stores would mind if I checked there par when I made purchases, lol

They shouldn't. I checked all the tanks at my lfs. He was happy to get the readings.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PAR meter is probably the best tool I've ever bought. Being able to tune my light and actually compare it to other successful tanks has taken out so much guess work.

Whiskey
Best tool I ever bought in this hobby. I lost more coral due to guessing on placement than I care to add up. A 200$ apogee sq-420 and all of that is over. No more guess work. I know what par is being put down in every nook and cranny. Now instead of killing things I enjoy, I don’t have enough room for the things I enjoy.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, getting a PAR meter was a fantastic purchase for me as well. In my case it turns out the lighting was pretty much spot-on where I wanted it to be, but prior to measuring I just had no idea. I thought I was drastically under-lit and I was frying corals as a result. Now everything is happier, and I've got an acro showing explosive growth.

Just like thorough water testing, until you know what reality is, you're just guessing.

Back