Parameters are bad

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, went on vacation two weeks ago and came back after being gone two week to my tank covered in diatoms. No clue what happened but I instantly cleaned the glass and did a huge water change. I’m now showing my phosphates at 2.5 which is as high as the Hannah will go and my nitrates at 40. I put all the food out for the person to feed while I was gone. The weird thing is it all seems to be doing fine except my SPS which is now brown. Oh and the constant rust crap on the glass and algae on the rocks. What do I do to get this down ASAP?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the person dumped to much food in the tank. It is always wise to portion out the meals for each day if your depending on another person.
It would take a lot of water changes to get the phos level down! So follow the advice about GFO and do some more water changes to deal with the nitrates.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the person dumped to much food in the tank. It is always wise to portion out the meals for each day if your depending on another person.
It would take a lot of water changes to get the phos level down! So follow the advice about GFO and do some more water changes to deal with the nitrates.
I did separate the food into daily portions since I only feed them once daily. I have seachem phosguard in there. I have been doing water changes. Should I do a huge like 90% or what?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip clean the whole system, sandbed too, complete water change/ back to new

If I posted a 30 page thread of this work would you check it out or no

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. I only ask because the initial offer seems so crazy most disregard it immediately

Also
Why r u reefing at 3 am I'm an old man who wakes up this early what's your excuse lol

Here we go: five years of rip cleans in one thread, disassembly cleaning, with no recycles:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason it doesn't recycle is due to the careful takedown and reassembly steps we use. All tanks come out sparkling clean

after work, your params match the bag of salt used, and no more invasion exists, and the sandbed has no more waste fueling it all.

rip cleaning is good for reefs, even ones not under invasion...first thread example linked is a 120 gallon reef worth about six grand rip cleaned twice, to show safety. The tank was in perfect condition before the event.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason it doesn't recycle is due to the careful takedown and reassembly steps we use. All tanks come out sparkling clean

after work, your params match the bag of salt used, and no more invasion exists, and the sandbed has no more waste fueling it all.

rip cleaning is good for reefs, even ones not under invasion...first thread example linked is a 120 gallon reef worth about six grand rip cleaned twice, to show safety. The tank was in perfect condition before the event.
So it’s saying rinse carabsea that’s live. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have to base answers (and questions) off the thread

where did you read in there that rinsing is antibacterial

did you see before and after pics / read a couple pages of the results to arrive at that concern

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have to base answers (and questions) off the thread

where did you read in there that rinsing is antibacterial

did you see before and after pics / read a couple pages of the results to arrive at that concern
I’m lost. That’s not what I asked. In some places it says rinse carabsea and at the same time it says don’t rinse live sand.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fair it is confusing.

that giant thread sets all new rules for sandbed care and rinsing, all the old info is wrong / i know thats a brash claim, but by page ten we’ve got patterns secured to prove it, then twenty more pages. What I recommended initially is totally explained page one.

if you want to leave your tank as is, you can. If you want it rip cleaned there is the theory and practice right there with 5 yrs of work, before and after pics, it’s safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone thing getting a media reactor and some GFO to run through it would be a good solution to this?

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back