Parameters?? New tank

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my parameters in my 29 gallon tank are a lil high, I started my tank exactly 3 weeks ago and for the last couple of weeks my parameters keep fluctuating back n forth.
My Ammonia and Nitrite both keep going from .25ppm then back to .50ppm. My nitrates are high too around 40 ppm. Does that mean my tank is still cycling? If not what can I do to lower those and get ready to add more livestock and etc. Currently have a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp in the tank.
I did a same day (or so I thought), fish in cycle with turbo start 900 and it showed no ammonia, nitrite, low nitrate for the first few days but after like a week parameters we’re going up.
I been dosing Seachem Prime every couple days to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite. I’ve also been dosing every couple days Fluval Bio-Enhancer (which I finished) and Seachem Stability. I also added a bottle of Bio-Spira hoping to help the cycle. And some seachem pristine every couple days when I scrape some stuff off the glass or overfeeding lol.
Id love some help to lower my parameters and get my tank ready for more livestock. And any tips or advice for newbies (or anyone) would be appreciated!
9CBCDA1B-396C-4946-899C-F22665482F6F.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my parameters in my 29 gallon tank are a lil high, I started my tank exactly 3 weeks ago and for the last couple of weeks my parameters keep fluctuating back n forth.
My Ammonia and Nitrite both keep going from .25ppm then back to .50ppm. My nitrates are high too around 40 ppm. Does that mean my tank is still cycling? If not what can I do to lower those and get ready to add more livestock and etc. Currently have a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp in the tank.
I did a same day (or so I thought), fish in cycle with turbo start 900 and it showed no ammonia, nitrite, low nitrate for the first few days but after like a week parameters we’re going up.
I been dosing Seachem Prime every couple days to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite. I’ve also been dosing every couple days Fluval Bio-Enhancer (which I finished) and Seachem Stability. I also added a bottle of Bio-Spira hoping to help the cycle. And some seachem pristine every couple days when I scrape some stuff off the glass or overfeeding lol.
Id love some help to lower my parameters and get my tank ready for more livestock. And any tips or advice for newbies (or anyone) would be appreciated!
9CBCDA1B-396C-4946-899C-F22665482F6F.jpeg
Your parameters look okay at the moment.

The tank needs to settle and stabilise for another month or so before you add any more animals or coral.

You need to learn to be patient in this hobby.

edit: Just FYI, Prime does nothing to help with Ammonia, so do not rely on that.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop testing for nitrite. The level doesn't matter for 99% of reefing and its presence just leads to doubt and confusion.

Stop throwing all manner of chemicals in to try and fix problems that you don't have. You're just making things worse and you'll end up in a never ending spiral of doom...

The ammonia test you've shown prove how difficult it is to judge the level based on colour, especially when the test resolution jumps from 0 to 0.25 ppm. All tank's have a small amount of ammonia but it may be slightly elevated during cycling.

Bottled bacteria cycles should have the ammonia source (fish/food/ammonia) added immediately after the product is added. If using fish, feed lightly for a week and then you should be complete.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep stop testing too often and when you do imo just do ammonia. when it hits zero, or very close, happy days. then test for nitrate and water change according to get it in check. let the tank sort it self out.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is an important part of this hobby, a 3 week old tank is going through a lot of changes that we can't test for.

I would suggest to stop dumping bottled chemicals into your tank, and leave the tank alone for a couple of weeks to adjust.

A lot of people don't even put fish in until week 3 or 4 or even longer, so you are going pretty fast.

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is an important part of this hobby, a 3 week old tank is going through a lot of changes that we can't test for.

I would suggest to stop dumping bottled chemicals into your tank, and leave the tank alone for a couple of weeks to adjust.

A lot of people don't even put fish in until week 3 or 4 or even longer, so you are going pretty fast.

I wasn’t planning on doing a fish in cycle but my fish store told me too cause that’s how frtiz turbo start works.
I haven’t been dumping chemicals anymore hoping the ammonia and tank will sort it’s way out.
I’m not going to add fish yet but I will in a when I hit around week 5 or 6.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go...

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look okay at the moment.

The tank needs to settle and stabilise for another month or so before you add any more animals or coral.

You need to learn to be patient in this hobby.

edit: Just FYI, Prime does nothing to help with Ammonia, so do not rely on that.

Of course I won’t be adding more fish for another two weeks or so, but will my tank eventually settle and stabilize?
I haven’t done my first water change yet. Plan on doing it around when I hit the one month mark, rly letting the bacteria settle in there. Plan on doing like a 40 or 50%. After if my parameters are stable and consistent I’ll add one new fish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I won’t be adding more fish for another two weeks or so, but will my tank eventually settle and stabilize?
I haven’t done my first water change yet. Plan on doing it around when I hit the one month mark, rly letting the bacteria settle in there. Plan on doing like a 40 or 50%. After if my parameters are stable and consistent I’ll add one new fish.
Please read through the thread I linked. You can scroll past the equipment set up, but it has a lot of valuable information after that about establishing a nitrifying bacteria population (aka "cycling") as well as the other cycles the tank goes through before it approaches being truly stable. It's not just about ammonia like in freshwater systems.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, water changes will not affect your bacterial population. That's just not how it works. And don't do 40-50% unless there's an emergency need. 10-20% weekly or twice a month at first is a good pace.

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, water changes will not affect your bacterial population. That's just not how it works. And don't do 40-50% unless there's an emergency need. 10-20% weekly or twice a month at first is a good pace.

When I hit the one month mark should I do my first water change about 20%?

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tank was not cycled, clowns would have died.
Those numbers look normal to me…
You should not have to test, ammonia or nitrite further.
Nitrate and phosphate is what you manage in the bands now.

Unfortunately last night my pacific cleaner shrimp died suddenly. He was fine in the morning, come home at night and dead. I checked my tanks parameters, Ammonia was at .25, Nitrite at .25, Nitrate at 40. My clowns look fine and just in case threw in a lil prime to make the ammonia safer. My clowns are looking healthy, eating fine, swimming normal.

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit spending money and dumping bacteria in your tank, it's been 18 days since you jump started your cycle with more than one type of bottled bacteria, you're done with that part. If your concern is elevated nitrates and other parameters do a water change and allow everything to stabilize and the tank to mature enough to handle more occupants.

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit spending money and dumping bacteria in your tank, it's been 18 days since you jump started your cycle with more than one type of bottled bacteria, you're done with that part. If your concern is elevated nitrates and other parameters do a water change and allow everything to stabilize and the tank to mature enough to handle more occupants.

Ok perfect! This was the answer I was looking for ahaha. I’ll do my first water change and lower the parameters. And after my first couple water changes getting everything stable and mature enough I’ll add more fish!

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is cycled .
to lower the high nitrates do a few larger water changes

stop dosing !!!
Do not dose anything to your system that you can’t test the need for .

focus on maturity and stability .

Is there anyway I can help mature the tank? I’ve added copepods and stuff.
I know after the a few water changes and keeping parameters and everything starts to stabilize. But other than that what is stability in a tank?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately last night my pacific cleaner shrimp died suddenly. He was fine in the morning, come home at night and dead. I checked my tanks parameters, Ammonia was at .25, Nitrite at .25, Nitrate at 40. My clowns look fine and just in case threw in a lil prime to make the ammonia safer. My clowns are looking healthy, eating fine, swimming normal.
Prime will not help with ammonia.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know after the a few water changes and keeping parameters and everything starts to stabilize. But other than that what is stability in a tank?
Read the content I linked in post 7.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you need to add is a good healthy dose of patience.

GIve it a few more weeks.

Back