Parasitic worm?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am qt some fish and they appeared to be developing severe infections so I added some antibiotics including metroplex. Now one of them pooped this thing out.

aec8708fed247bb290f7c85c7ae12e4f.jpg

debb02a68f4e569405aec9629d70ed5f.jpg

To me it looks like a bean sprout but this fish is a small mouth carnivore. He is also extremely emaciated with little desire to eat. Would the metro cure this condition or should I remove him and treat him more vigorously with other meds.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an intestinal worm. I would treat with "API General Cure" - as that contains a prazi/metro mix. One or the other should knock it out.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an intestinal worm. I would treat with "API General Cure" - as that contains a prazi/metro mix. One or the other should knock it out.
Will it be ok to let him wait out the antibiotic treatment with the others or is this more pressing. Tbh he may be the reason they have the infection. I have never seen wounds get nasty this quick but he has a venomous bite so if he was the one fighting with the others...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it be ok to let him wait out the antibiotic treatment with the others or is this more pressing. Tbh he may be the reason they have the infection. I have never seen wounds get nasty this quick but he has a venomous bite so if he was the one fighting with the others...

What antibiotics are you using again (my short term memory is terrible :p)? You probably can mix GC with them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex, kanaplex and furan 2

Stop treating with metroplex for now and use GC instead. GC already contains metro plus prazi so it will widen the deworming spectrum. Hopefully he doesn't need anything stronger, because if memory serves these are sensitive wrasses??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am qt some fish and they appeared to be developing severe infections so I added some antibiotics including metroplex. Now one of them pooped this thing out.

aec8708fed247bb290f7c85c7ae12e4f.jpg

debb02a68f4e569405aec9629d70ed5f.jpg

To me it looks like a bean sprout but this fish is a small mouth carnivore. He is also extremely emaciated with little desire to eat. Would the metro cure this condition or should I remove him and treat him more vigorously with other meds.

Oh YUK! That's a fantastic picture though. Really gives a good idea of what to look for with intestinal parasites.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop treating with metroplex for now and use GC instead. GC already contains metro plus prazi so it will widen the deworming spectrum. Hopefully he doesn't need anything stronger, because if memory serves these are sensitive wrasses??
No those guys haven't been treated for anything yet just working on getting them comfortable and eating. I have three qt batches going [emoji33]. The guy that dropped this was a fang blenny. I am trying to stock my 220 in batches moving fish through in groups three weeks or so in between depending on health and requirements. This means one qt getting ready to enter dt and one qt for new arrivals. The gudgeons with that infection kind of caused a back up lol. I will post pictures of the blenny and some of his wounded tank mates tomorrow maybe someone may have a better idea on how to treat them.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No those guys haven't been treated for anything yet just working on getting them comfortable and eating. I have three qt batches going [emoji33]. The guy that dropped this was a fang blenny. I am trying to stock my 220 in batches moving fish through in groups three weeks or so in between depending on health and requirements. This means one qt getting ready to enter dt and one qt for new arrivals. The gudgeons with that infection kind of caused a back up lol. I will post pictures of the blenny and some of his wounded tank mates tomorrow maybe someone may have a better idea on how to treat them.

Wowee. That's a lot of work! No wonder you seem to have a lot of different fish that are sick with one thing or another. It's like running a daycare! Somebody is always sick with something! lol It makes way more sense now :)

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yea. I just tell myself it will all be worth it when they are healthy in the dt. My main problem is not wanting my old purple tang to get too comfortable before these shy fish are added. If it wasn't for him I probably would stock a lot slower. Once the free swimming fish are added I am going to take it more slowly adding my rock dwelling fish. The tang barely notices them.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on uploading a video that shows the three fish I am most concerned about in this group. There is a flasher wrasse with a huge chunk out of his tail. The fang blenny with worms and that is emaciated. Finally a tang with a swollen mouth area and white marks. I will post video asap but any help diagnosing and treating would be wonderful.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the Furan-2, Metroplex, Kanaplex combo on this batch of fish. You already know the blenny has intestinal worms (metro for that), but what I'm seeing on that flasher wrasse's tail looks like the beginnings of a bacterial infection (antibiotics for that.) As mentioned previously, you can substitute API General Cure for metro long enough to deworm and also widen the spectrum.

Can you post some pics of the tang? I couldn't really see the swollen mouth and white marks from the video.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the Furan-2, Metroplex, Kanaplex combo on this batch of fish. You already know the blenny has intestinal worms (metro for that), but what I'm seeing on that flasher wrasse's tail looks like the beginnings of a bacterial infection (antibiotics for that.) As mentioned previously, you can substitute API General Cure for metro long enough to deworm and also widen the spectrum.

Can you post some pics of the tang? I couldn't really see the swollen mouth and white marks from the video.
I will try to snap some pics. She is scared of the camera so if she sees it will dart into the tube. What is the best thing to feed the bristletooth tangs. She really is not interested in nori. Will continue antibiotics and general cure. Thank-you

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to snap some pics. She is scared of the camera so if she sees it will dart into the tube. What is the best thing to feed the bristletooth tangs. She really is not interested in nori. Will continue antibiotics and general cure. Thank-you

My kole tang wasn't interested in nori until I got the purple tang. Now he eats every time the purple does. It's like he sees the purple eat and decides "hey I could eat that too". Weird fish. Although, I realize that probably doesn't help you much. lol They will eat meaty frozen foods as well.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang wasn't interested in nori until I got the purple tang. Now he eats every time the purple does. It's like he sees the purple eat and decides "hey I could eat that too". Weird fish. Although, I realize that probably doesn't help you much. lol They will eat meaty frozen foods as well.
Yea he is eating the meat I just want him to eat veggies like a good tang lol. I am sure he will follow the others in the dt I just want to get him eating something healthy for tangs while in qt. He doesn't seem interested in the types of algae I have on hand...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea he is eating the meat I just want him to eat veggies like a good tang lol. I am sure he will follow the others in the dt I just want to get him eating something healthy for tangs while in qt. He doesn't seem interested in the types of algae I have on hand...

Are you putting it in a clip? You could try to rubberband it to a small piece of rock and see if he takes to it easier that way.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give that a try. May be more natural that way

Maybe... I just know that they are made to scrape algae off of rocks, so yeah, it might be more natural for him.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try algae wafers. Bristletooth tangs like to gnaw on things.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back