OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this morning woke up to an Apex alarm at 0300. Turns out, we lost power due to the crazy winds we’re having here in northern NJ. So, ran downstairs and it seems all the back up equipment was functioning as planned. The big concern is always temperature during this time of year and with two QT tanks in the basement, I needed to get the stepping.

Thank god for this generator. Best investment ever. Dragged the guy out, fired it up and plugged it into the house receptacle. Incredibly relieving when I flipped the transfer switch to hear the remainder of the back up systems come to life. A few beeps and clicks of the relays, the tank is running in what the airplane nerd inside me calls “essential mode”. Return pump, skimmer, gyres and heat. The best part is, since the furnace is on the transfer switch circuit, I don’t draw 1000+ watts to heat this thing. The QT tanks are in their own “essential modes” just running heaters and filters.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You copycat...

I think I’m going to do it!

e4aad6ceb5b7ea85869f12520ee1f86f.jpg

They can be cousins!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this morning woke up to an Apex alarm at 0300. Turns out, we lost power due to the crazy winds we’re having here in northern NJ. So, ran downstairs and it seems all the back up equipment was functioning as planned. The big concern is always temperature during this time of year and with two QT tanks in the basement, I needed to get the stepping.

Thank god for this generator. Best investment ever. Dragged the guy out, fired it up and plugged it into the house receptacle. Incredibly relieving when I flipped the transfer switch to hear the remainder of the back up systems come to life. A few beeps and clicks of the relays, the tank is running in what the airplane nerd inside me calls “essential mode”. Return pump, skimmer, gyres and heat. The best part is, since the furnace is on the transfer switch circuit, I don’t draw 1000+ watts to heat this thing. The QT tanks are in their own “essential modes” just running heaters and filters.

Crap, dude!! Good save!

So- you woke up at 3am to an apex alarm, or woke up at 7am, and saw an apex alarm that triggered at 3am?

Because I’ve been setting up tests for the alarm system and all I get is a single repeating email and a text every hour until it clears. I don’t hear it come in over the baby monitors or the white noise machine, and it’s got me paranoid I’m going to miss something.

Have you done something special to enhance the —frankly— underpowered apex alarm system?

I’ve thought about adding a 12v siren buzzer that I can hear anywhere in the house and have it on a battery, switched With a relay powered by the apex. Power goes out, relay goes to NC and siren runs off battery. I’d just rather have something that’s not going to terrify the family when it goes, lol

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That s great. “Essential mode” = essential function. Makes sense to me. But that might be the ICU nurse who knows what the red outlets are for. LOL. My ventilator and IV pumps come first, then my monitor. Not your iPhone dude. Seriously. I speak from experience. LOL
We have gone a couple days with out power during a winter storm and everything in my tank survived. But I wish we had a generator. We have talked about it, but then meh. We don’t do it. We have a fire place and gas stove so we’re able to keep the house warm enough.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, dude!! Good save!

So- you woke up at 3am to an apex alarm, or woke up at 7am, and saw an apex alarm that triggered at 3am?

Because I’ve been setting up tests for the alarm system and all I get is a single repeating email and a text every hour until it clears. I don’t hear it come in over the baby monitors or the white noise machine, and it’s got me paranoid I’m going to miss something.

Have you done something special to enhance the —frankly— underpowered apex alarm system?

I’ve thought about adding a 12v siren buzzer that I can hear anywhere in the house and have it on a battery, switched With a relay powered by the apex. Power goes out, relay goes to NC and siren runs off battery. I’d just rather have something that’s not going to terrify the family when it goes, lol

To answer your question, no enhancement. Just got lucky

So, my phone is always next to my head because I’m on call every day... all day. I went to bed pretty late (around 215ish) to catch up on my non kid friendly tv shows (John Oliver, Crashing, GoT refreshers). I was just dozing off and the heart beat alarm alerted me. And then it alerted me again. I guess there was a surge then a few min later it completely went.

I wouldn’t hear the buzzer since it lives two flights down in the basement. I wonder if there’s some type of power monitor that’s plugged into the wall... so when the house loses power it lights up or buzzes or whatever.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That s great. “Essential mode” = essential function. Makes sense to me. But that might be the ICU nurse who knows what the red outlets are for. LOL. My ventilator and IV pumps come first, then my monitor. Not your iPhone dude. Seriously. I speak from experience. LOL
We have gone a couple days with out power during a winter storm and everything in my tank survived. But I wish we had a generator. We have talked about it, but then meh. We don’t do it. We have a fire place and gas stove so we’re able to keep the house warm enough.

Yea, I bet. How are people going to know what their friends had for lunch?!

Seriously get one. Get one that’s enough for the tank and fridge. We never had one until the initial set up of my 125. It was early on and we lost power for 2 days and I was panicking the entire time. Our water is on a well pump, so that’s gone. Our stove is electric... that’s gone. I was losing my mind covering the tank in plastic and blankets. It sucked. In comparison, this morning... I plugged in a chord, pressed a button on the generator and flipped 8 circuit switches and went back to sleep.

Now we keep the entire first floor, aquarium essentials and furnace. We can make a simple dinner, eat, drink, stay warm and even watch a movie once the board games get old.

EDIT: and of course, keep the iPhone charged ;)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, no enhancement. Just got lucky

So, my phone is always next to my head because I’m on call every day... all day. I went to bed pretty late (around 215ish) to catch up on my non kid friendly tv shows (John Oliver, Crashing, GoT refreshers). I was just dozing off and the heart beat alarm alerted me. And then it alerted me again. I guess there was a surge then a few min later it completely went.

I wouldn’t hear the buzzer since it lives two flights down in the basement. I wonder if there’s some type of power monitor that’s plugged into the wall... so when the house loses power it lights up or buzzes or whatever.

Thanks man.

That 12v siren running off a battery switched by a NC relay plugged into an outlet will do exactly what you want in that last paragraph.

That’s how I see setting mine up once I get time to do the apex wiring etc

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear you got your generator hooked up. We lost power 30 minutes after I left this morning. My fear is temp also but I can’t get out of work and nobody is home today. I was supposed to be off from work today but it’s funny how luck works at time. Got my fingers crossed that everyone finds away to stay warm until I get home.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear you got your generator hooked up. We lost power 30 minutes after I left this morning. My fear is temp also but I can’t get out of work and nobody is home today. I was supposed to be off from work today but it’s funny how luck works at time. Got my fingers crossed that everyone finds away to stay warm until I get home.

Where do you live Crabby? If it’s within an hour we should work out some kind “emergency tank buddy” deal.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabby48 how did you make out buddy?

I’m by Clinton flemington area. Tank was 69.5. Got 600 watts worth of heaters running and all equipment. 2 juvenile clowns, pink spot goby, little BTA and couple shrimps. They all seem good.
First tank 2 months after cycle so it was a little stressful.

What area are you from

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good

I’m from Vernon. About an hour and a half. Let’s meet up at a LFS sometime. If an emergency ever pops up man, it would be nice to have someone who knows what I’m talking about.

My better 3/4s is incredible but when it comes to this stuff, we use words like “the grey and orange thingie next to the black thingie by your knee” to describe what I need her to do lol

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good

I’m from Vernon. About an hour and a half. Let’s meet up at a LFS sometime. If an emergency ever pops up man, it would be nice to have someone who knows what I’m talking about.

My better 3/4s is incredible but when it comes to this stuff, we use words like “the grey and orange thingie next to the black thingie by your knee” to describe what I need her to do lol
Oh my gosh, I literally snorted!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks
@Humblefish
@4FordFamily

I need some advice here. Three days ago I found my male swallowtail angelfish behind the tank and underneath a floor board radiator. He took about a 6 foot drop and I’m not sure how long he was out of the water. If I were to guess I’d say 20-30 minutes. I picked him up by hand and felt his muscles squeeze and then release. His gill plate was moving so he was breathing and out of panic, I placed him back in the tank. His pectoral fins were moving and he was breathing but he seemed stiff and couldn’t move his tail (aft half). He has absolutely no control of his swimming and the power heads blew him around the tank. I quickly logged into the apex to turn the pumps off but he did get caught in the screen of an MP40. It nicked his tail and he shook himself off. At this point I had the pumps dialed back and he settled to the bottom of the tank. I let him be and turned the lights down. When I returned he was gone- moved behind the live rock and he was swimming. I began to gradually increase the flow and he continues to live. He is completely freaked and doesn’t leave his refuge behind the rocks other than to eat. Today I noticed his tail streamers completely gone which I’m assuming was caused by the MP40 getting a smack at him. More concerning, I saw that his anus has prolapsed.

What should be my course of action? He’s currently in the DT.

Edit: he is eating and will swim around but understandably bolts for the rocks when I approach.

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet up would be cool. I’m here for an emergency but I may not be much better then your other 3/4 lol. I only had water in mine for 2 months so I’m learning

I am sorry to hear about the beating your fish is taking.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give him a 30 minute Methylene Blue bath, and move into QT. Reevaluate his condition from there.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give him a 30 minute Methylene Blue bath, and move into QT. Reevaluate his condition from there.
I agree with this course of action. I can’t imagine a fish being out that long still being alive but I’ve heard of crazier!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not much else you can do other than this^^^ IMO.

30 minutes is a long time to he out of water. Internal damage is a possibility here for sure. I hope it is alright. The fact it's eating is a good sign.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back