OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Sorry to laugh, but I wish There was a video of this escapade.

If there was I wouldn't be able to put it on R2R. There may have been some not so R2R friendly words that came out after that cup fell on me LOL!

Oh and I forgot to mention, so I get cleaned up, come back and finish cleaning the return pump but forget to point the return nozzle down and I didn't realize how much more flow there would be after cleaning the return. I plug the pump in and get a wave of salt water poured on my head...:mad: ;Hilarious

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of other things I forgot to mention. By accident, I realized how much I prefer a whiter looking tank, so I upped the color on my kessils to 70% during the peak hours.

I took this picture right after the change (sorry, I forgot to clean the glass ;Facepalm) and this is actually an almost perfect representation of the color in person.

IMG_4073.jpeg

I also added a small captive bred YT to my frag tank (I hope the tang police don't arrest me lol). It's amazing how well they clean frag plugs. My square tail has always been pretty lazy about eating algae in that tank, but as soon as I added the YT he started eating algae 24/7 lol. It's funny how he just needed a bit of competition to get motivated.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about the captive bred yellow tangs? I was thinking about getting one from algae barn. Also, sorry to hear about the flame angel causing problems. Mine picks at my kenya tree if I feed later than usual and also picked at my favia when I first got it. I moved the favia to the other side of the tank that she doesn’t spend as much time in and I haven’t seen her mess with much it since. It definitely doesn’t extend fully until the lights go out though and I’m sure she’s to blame. They are beautiful fish though and I couldn’t get rid of mine at this point

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about the captive bred yellow tangs? I was thinking about getting one from algae barn. Also, sorry to hear about the flame angel causing problems. Mine picks at my kenya tree if I feed later than usual and also picked at my favia when I first got it. I moved the favia to the other side of the tank that she doesn’t spend as much time in and I haven’t seen her mess with much it since. It definitely doesn’t extend fully until the lights go out though and I’m sure she’s to blame. They are beautiful fish though and I couldn’t get rid of mine at this point

I purchased both of mine from live aquaria. They are the biota tangs and supposedly are housed in a separate system from the wild caught fish. I would feel much better getting them from a source like algae barn. They definitely have some minor scarring that is common with the captive bred yt’s but it has been getting much better over time.

I’m with you, I don’t think I could ever rehome an existing fish because it started nipping some coral. I just like fish too much lol.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is beautiful @PDR We had some interesting nights that started with a "quick" change that turned into late night fiascos.

Thanks! Yeah definitely not the first time something like this has happened and I’m sure it won’t be the last! Lol

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing I forgot to mention. I finally decided on a new salt. I ended up going with Red Sea blue bucket. It was a toss up between a couple of brands but I really wanted to stick with a “reef spec” product. (some of you will get that lol) ;Hilarious

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing I forgot to mention. I finally decided on a new salt. I ended up going with Red Sea blue bucket. It was a toss up between a couple of brands but I really wanted to stick with a “reef spec” product. (some of you will get that lol) ;Hilarious
Nice!!!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased both of mine from live aquaria. They are the biota tangs and supposedly are housed in a separate system from the wild caught fish. I would feel much better getting them from a source like algae barn. They definitely have some minor scarring that is common with the captive bred yt’s but it has been getting much better over time.

I’m with you, I don’t think I could ever rehome an existing fish because it started nipping some coral. I just like fish too much lol.

Thanks for the referral. All of our fish are kept in isolated systems separated by vendor.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some bad news. After some serious debate and soul searching, I am taking a break from the hobby for a few years. I’m in the process of selling all my livestock and equipment and plan to have the tank listed for sale some time this summer.

It’s a real bummer and I’m not sure it’s really sunk in yet, but I'm convinced it was the right decision.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some bad news. After some serious debate and soul searching, I am taking a break from the hobby for a few years. I’m in the process of selling all my livestock and equipment and plan to have the tank listed for sale some time this summer.

It’s a real bummer and I’m not sure it’s really sunk in yet, but I'm convinced it was the right decision.
This may be the most interesting reason to get out of the hobby that I have ever seen. If I ever had that happen to me, I might get out too! ;Wideyed;Yuck
The skimmer gets knocked off its stand, hits the edge of the sump and the full collection cup pops off and lands upside down in my lap. Nothing quite like the feeling (and smell) of a full cup of skimmate soaking into your crotch. ;Vomit

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've sold off basically everything but the RODI and the RSR 350. Been taking my time with it and have been surprised how much I have been able to recoup. All local sales through FB so far.

Now that I have all this free time and extra $$, I needed a couple of new hobbies. I purchased a Razer Blade 15 with RTX 2070 as my gaming/"work" laptop after trying 4, yes 4 different Alienware computers, couldn't ever get one that didn't have an issue. I will also be picking up an Oculus Rift S tomorrow. For those of you who haven't tried VR, don't, because you'll have to have one lol.

My passion for snakes was recently rekindled (thanks in part to @DSC reef) and in addition to taking better care of my 23-year-old Ball Python (Tut), I purchased another one.

Here is the little guy :) (setup is temporary)
IMG_4708.JPEG
IMG_4719.JPEG
IMG_4743.JPEG
IMG_4781.JPEG

And here is my (underweight) 23-year-old female BP. About 4.5 ft.
IMG_4779.JPEG
IMG_4778.JPEG

Still working on a name for the newcomer, I'm open to suggestions!

Also if there are any PC gamers that see this, let me know!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back