Peppermint shrimp eating frogspawn?!?

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of a peppermint shrimp eating frogspawn or any coral for that matter but I just added a frogspawn to my tank after acclimating for 2 hours and as soon as I put it in my peppermint shrimp went straight towards it and started picking off the tips and eating it while some just float away into the tank. Right away I scared away the shrimp and pulled my frogspawn away from him. After doing some research I’ve found out that a lot of people have had the same problem, I find it quite weird that peppermint shrimps are considered “reef safe” but multiple people have had peppermints devour their frogspawn along with favias and other corals.
will be putting my peppermint shrimp in my refugium. Definitely don’t think they are reef safe. Or definitely compatible with caution.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of a peppermint shrimp eating frogspawn or any coral for that matter but I just added a frogspawn to my tank after acclimating for 2 hours and as soon as I put it in my peppermint shrimp went straight towards it and started picking off the tips and eating it while some just float away into the tank. Right away I scared away the shrimp and pulled my frogspawn away from him. After doing some research I’ve found out that a lot of people have had the same problem, I find it quite weird that peppermint shrimps are considered “reef safe” but multiple people have had peppermints devour their frogspawn along with favias and other corals.
will be putting my peppermint shrimp in my refugium. Definitely don’t think they are reef safe. Or definitely compatible with caution.
Another problem is that some places sell shrimps as a Peppermint shrimp but they turn out to be a similar looking species. They can eat coral, you made the right move. Do not expect this behavior to change in your DT. Also may have to watch that hammer because they go downhill fast if damaged.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 different shrimp sold as peppermint. One will definitely eat corals, adn the other will turn to your corals if it is hungry.

So glad I skewered the little bastys in my tank. watched them eat the mouth right out of my prized scoly.

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refuse to ever have one again after the one I had tried taking out a newly added rock flower anemone and I believe to have been messing with my acans. I agree, reef safe with caution has been my experience, but everyone has different experiences with them. There's also a camel shrimp that I know were often being mistaken as peppermint shrimp and these are definitely not reef safe.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem is that some places sell shrimps as a Peppermint shrimp but they turn out to be a similar looking species. They can eat coral, you made the right move. Do not expect this behavior to change in your DT. Also may have to watch that hammer because they go downhill fast if damaged.
That is crazy! I know I am worried about my frogspawn:( I lost one before due to poor salt readings and would hate to lose one again. Do you think I should dip it again in frag recover?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is crazy! I know I am worried about my frogspawn:( I lost one before due to poor salt readings and would hate to lose one again. Do you think I should dip it again in frag recover?
Unless you took the shrimp out, it’s going to eat it completely, if the shrimp is gone than it will come up provided your tank is ok.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry, I thought you said it attacked a hammer. Frogspawn is a little more resilient but if it got shredded it will need time to recover. Keep an eye out for brown jelly or infection. If one of our experts chime in they may suggest a dip to prevent infection.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner shrimp, and I personally cannot wait for it to perish one day. I have to feed it before I feed any corals or it will literally pry their mouths open and reached deep into the corals for food.
Omg My cleaner shrimps do the exact same thing to my zoanthids when I feed them my reef roids. But I’ve never seen any of my shrimps damage a coral until now. Definitely not happy with that little guy.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg My cleaner shrimps do the exact same thing to my zoanthids when I feed them my reef roids. But I’ve never seen any of my shrimps damage a coral until now. Definitely not happy with that little guy.
Give the cleaners a puff of frozen food before feeding your zoas, they won't scavenge if they're full for a bit. I normally stand guard by my corals and lightly relocate my shrimp with a pipette if he gets too close. Pipette always wins for what its worth

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry, I thought you said it attacked a hammer. Frogspawn is a little more resilient but if it got shredded it will need time to recover. Keep an eye out for brown jelly or infection. If one of our experts chime in they may suggest a dip to prevent infection.
Okay thank you so much! Will definitely keep an eye on him. Thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the cleaners a puff of frozen food before feeding your zoas, they won't scavenge if they're full for a bit. I normally stand guard by my corals and lightly relocate my shrimp with a pipette if he gets too close. Pipette always wins for what its worth
Okay will do my, shrimps are big eaters so I’ll try that and put them on the same eating schedule.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the frogspawn in my quarantine tank as the peppermint shrimp will be a process to catch, I have a lot of rock work.
Peppermint shrimp are fairly easy to catch. Put some food in a large net and lower the net next to the rock, then SCOOP when it goes into the net to get the food. If you don't have a net you can also try to the inverted bottle trick, but I think the net is way faster and easier.

DIY bottle trap:
Cut off the top third part of a plastic soda bottle and invert it back into the bottle. Bait the trap using a piece of table shrimp or something they can't easily try to carry away. Fill the bottle trap with tank water. You may need to anchor the bottle to the bottom of the tank by putting a small rock inside the bottle. Place the bottle close to where the peppermint shrimp are hanging out and wait for the shrimp to go for the bait.

hey_hey_heeyyyyyy!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just happened to me too. I bought a new teal frogspawn and some torches. The next morning, the frogspawn was destroyed by a shrimp. I pulled it and put it in my frag tank but I don't think it's going to make it.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that or I let him my clean my
Peppermint shrimp are fairly easy to catch. Put some food in a large net and lower the net next to the rock, then SCOOP when it goes into the net to get the food. If you don't have a net you can also try to the inverted bottle trick, but I think the net is way faster and easier.

DIY bottle trap:
Cut off the top third part of a plastic soda bottle and invert it back into the bottle. Bait the trap using a piece of table shrimp or something they can't easily try to carry away. Fill the bottle trap with tank water. You may need to anchor the bottle to the bottom of the tank by putting a small rock inside the bottle. Place the bottle close to where the peppermint shrimp are hanging out and wait for the shrimp to go for the bait.
Great idea! I will definitely try that when feeding tomorrow:) Thank you for all the help.

Back