20220302_101125.jpg
20220302_101005.jpg 20220302_101045.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you take such good photos? I want to document mine, possibly on R2R in a thread. But my photos look like crap always.
haha
corey

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you take such good photos? I want to document mine, possibly on R2R in a thread. But my photos look like crap always.
haha
corey

Hey Corey,
Samsung Pro Mode
I play with settings ISO and speed settings to get the photo.
Then post edit with cameras picture edit platform to get the best match to what my eyes see. Here is a screen shot of my settings for these photos.
Cheers

Screenshot_20220302-121207_Camera.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some work to do this morning!
New LED panel arrived yesterday, and pleasantly surprised by the build. I will remove the rear LED reefbar, and use this panel to help light the rear of the tank. @180 watts, I believe that 2 of these lights will give more than enough punch to light the entire display. But, I am going to run this lamp, and if later, I feel like going all LED, I can always pick up another later, time will tell. The simplicity of a 2 channel lamp, one on it's own plug for blues, the other for full spectrum, makes it real easy to implement in my current setup. So the plan is to ramp with SB Reefbar in front, and new panel in the back. When t5's come on, so will the full spectrum channel on the LED. More to come :)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry it's funny because I was just on SBREEF lights website and checking out their new light. Is that the new ROLANV 22? If so, how do you like it so far? Trying to figure out how to light a 400 gallon without getting a divorce. :D

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry it's funny because I was just on SBREEF lights website and checking out their new light. Is that the new ROLANV 22? If so, how do you like it so far? Trying to figure out how to light a 400 gallon without getting a divorce. :D

Josh,
Yes it is! Just delivered yesterday, installed today. My take, for someone not interested in ramping spectrum by %, or fancy moonlight, or storms, etc, it appears this light has all needed for sps. Only complaint is cord lenght from plug, to ballast. I ordered a 3ft jumper for both channels from amazon moments ago. I am thinking 2 of these, and I could easily light my entire display, 3watt crees x 60, and 2 of those.... yeah, more than enough power. I am going to stay put until I can become familiar, keeping the t5's cranking. They will have to be super impressive for me to take my t5's, I am stubborn like that. :)

Edit:
1x 75 watt reefbar/front @100%
6x 39 watt t5 bulbs
I x Rolan V22 @ 75% blue and 25% full spectrum. 180watts total

Close to 500 watts, lol

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh,
Yes it is! Just delivered yesterday, installed today. My take, for someone not interested in ramping spectrum by %, or fancy moonlight, or storms, etc, it appears this light has all needed for sps. Only complaint is cord lenght from plug, to ballast. I ordered a 3ft jumper for both channels from amazon moments ago. I am thinking 2 of these, and I could easily light my entire display, 3watt crees x 60, and 2 of those.... yeah, more than enough power. I am going to stay put until I can become familiar, keeping the t5's cranking. They will have to be super impressive for me to take my t5's, I am stubborn like that. :)

Edit:
1x 75 watt reefbar/front @100%
6x 39 watt t5 bulbs
I x Rolan V22 @ 75% blue and 25% full spectrum. 180watts total

Close to 500 watts, lol

That is awesome! I am so glad I noticed them. Now I can get a great review on them. :D Trying to figure out a way to light a 4' wide 400 gallon Acropora system without pulling out a second mortgage. I was thinking of making a light fixture that would have 2 T5s then a row of modded black boxes with the SBREEF boards then 2 T5s again in the middle, another row of black boxes, and then the last row will be 2 T5s. I already have the black boxes and T5s. Just need to get the SBREEF boards. I am interested in those new lights instead of the black boxes though. Looking forward to seeing how you like them and what the spread/PAR is like.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! I am so glad I noticed them. Now I can get a great review on them. :D Trying to figure out a way to light a 4' wide 400 gallon Acropora system without pulling out a second mortgage. I was thinking of making a light fixture that would have 2 T5s then a row of modded black boxes with the SBREEF boards then 2 T5s again in the middle, another row of black boxes, and then the last row will be 2 T5s. I already have the black boxes and T5s. Just need to get the SBREEF boards. I am interested in those new lights instead of the black boxes though. Looking forward to seeing how you like them and what the spread/PAR is like.

I like your idea, if it were me, I would try for two 8 bulb ati's and use those panels to supplement on either side. @150 each, these are way more powerful than supplement bars, and 2 channels, and.... less expensive! I am seeing shimmer due to the white/ full spectrum channel. Drawback, reds and greens on that channel, so increase the whites, so do the others. That said, getting shimmer is a pretty cool look from the ordinary t5 look. I don't think I will go all led though, I am pretty happy with my setup and schedule. The power you get out of ati fixtures will light up the center reef, no shadows, just even spread. Don't you already use an ati? Anyway, not sure why folks go for led t5 supplement, the hybrid fixtures cannot compare to ati. I jump off my soapbox...lol
Cheers

Edit: Josh, 48" wide, nevermind my take, lol, maybe 4x ati, lol

Last edited:

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your idea, if it were me, I would try for two 8 bulb ati's and use those panels to supplement on either side. @150 each, these are way more powerful than supplement bars, and 2 channels, and.... less expensive! I am seeing shimmer due to the white/ full spectrum channel. Drawback, reds and greens on that channel, so increase the whites, so do the others. That said, getting shimmer is a pretty cool look from the ordinary t5 look. I don't think I will go all led though, I am pretty happy with my setup and schedule. The power you get out of ati fixtures will light up the center reef, no shadows, just even spread. Don't you already use an ati? Anyway, not sure why folks go for led t5 supplement, the hybrid fixtures cannot compare to ati. I jump off my soapbox...lol
Cheers

You are going to get me in trouble! :D I thought of that but I don't know if I could stomach changing 16 bulbs every 6 months. On my tank now I currently have 6 bulbs utilizing 3 of the 2 bulb 80w LET retrofit kits. I also have the ReefBreeders UV Hybrid LED bar for supplementation. I really like the setup and will definitely have T5s on the tank. I am even considering Halide/T5s. I did get really good results with using just the standard MarsAqua black boxes. I just didn't like the look of the spectrum until I changed the diodes out.

Have you tested PAR on the SBREEF light?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hear you, that's alot of bulbs, look at my edit on the previous post, that would be 32, lol... hmmm, maybe 3x 400 mh and supplement with these led panels?

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hear you, that's alot of bulbs, look at my edit on the previous post, that would be 32, lol... hmmm, maybe 3x 400 mh and supplement with these led panels?

LOL although that would be one awesome setup I don't think I would be around long enough to enjoy it.

Since MH is getting so scarce in this hobby I had to turn to the agriculture side. I picked up a 400 watt ballast a reflector and even a 6000k grow bulb for $119 on Amazon. The ballast came in yesterday and is really nice. The reflector and bulb comes in on Sunday. I am going to mount it in my garage and run some PAR tests on it. Going old school on this one. 6000k MH bulbs and all blue+ bulbs. Sounds like an Acro growing machine.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC reboot today!
40 astreas
38 Mexican Red Leg Hermits
12 Blue Leg Hermits
10 Bumblebee Snails
10 Trochus Snails

Whether sand or BB, regardless, a good CUC, in my book, is a must. I just hope they are hungy, my poor Foxface is stressed from trying to eat all this stuff, lol.
Cheers :)

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really
CUC reboot today!
40 astreas
38 Mexican Red Leg Hermits
12 Blue Leg Hermits
10 Bumblebee Snails
10 Trochus Snails

Whether sand or BB, regardless, a good CUC, in my book, is a must. I just hope they are hungy, my poor Foxface is stressed from trying to eat all this stuff, lol.
Cheers :)
I really wish that one spot foxfaces came in a dwarf size or at least 2” or 3” smaller. They are truly one of the most useful algae eaters out there. I really hated giving mine up because of his size. They’re super skittish, but man can they mow down. Nice CUC!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really

I really wish that one spot foxfaces came in a dwarf size or at least 2” or 3” smaller. They are truly one of the most useful algae eaters out there. I really hated giving mine up because of his size. They’re super skittish, but man can they mow down. Nice CUC!

Hi John,
Agreed, I absolutely love my fox, it's belly is so fat, an eating machine, with a great personality :) I probably have about another year or so, and either upgrade, or replace. I have 10 fish, but the fox is the only large capable species, no tangs in the 90 gallon. So, maybe longer before outgrowing the system.
I spent a pretty penny on my CUC addition, but got it all local. I will have to match that purchase in t5 bulb swap soon, lol, always something draining the bank, ha,ha, ha... ;)
Good news though, 14 hours since hitting the tank, and wow, the rock is getting picked and polished. I don't know your experience with Mexican Red Leg Hermits, but they are so darn effective. Was turned on to them only 6 years ago, always used blue legs and scarlets. Red Legs destroy algae, and will always have a place in my systems regardless of sand or bb.
Cheers

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are going to get me in trouble! :D I thought of that but I don't know if I could stomach changing 16 bulbs every 6 months. On my tank now I currently have 6 bulbs utilizing 3 of the 2 bulb 80w LET retrofit kits. I also have the ReefBreeders UV Hybrid LED bar for supplementation. I really like the setup and will definitely have T5s on the tank. I am even considering Halide/T5s. I did get really good results with using just the standard MarsAqua black boxes. I just didn't like the look of the spectrum until I changed the diodes out.

Have you tested PAR on the SBREEF light?
You shouldn't have to replace those bulbs every six months unless overdriving them. 12-14 months is reasonable.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back