OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry I saw in another thread that you're dosing PNS Probio. I'm curious how is it working for you? I've never used it.

Hi Tim,
The post that I believe you are referring to was regarding Probiotic bacteria, I personally use AF, but as I understand PNS may be similar. I am using this to out-compete bacteria that fuels the uglies associated to "bad" bacteria. I am currently running uv as well. Thought is to remove bacteria and replace daily with AF Probiotic strains as new additions. Ultimately the uv will turn off. Coincidentally, the uglies, cyano and dinos both began when removing sand, and using Turkey salt to offset sand removal. Also did a couple large water changes with the salt post removal. It's hard to point my finger directly to the salt, as changes were being made on biome as a result of sand removal. That said, things are getting better since switching to RS Blue Bucket. My corals are growing and colorful despite all the funk, lol.
Cheers

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim,
The post that I believe you are referring to was regarding Probiotic bacteria, I personally use AF, but as I understand PNS may be similar. I am using this to out-compete bacteria that fuels the uglies associated to "bad" bacteria. I am currently running uv as well. Thought is to remove bacteria and replace daily with AF Probiotic strains as new additions. Ultimately the uv will turn off. Coincidentally, the uglies, cyano and dinos both began when removing sand, and using Turkey salt to offset sand removal. Also did a couple large water changes with the salt post removal. It's hard to point my finger directly to the salt, as changes were being made on biome as a result of sand removal. That said, things are getting better since switching to RS Blue Bucket. My corals are growing and colorful despite all the funk, lol.
Cheers
Mine have been showing better colors with every water change so I'm right there with you!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been showing better colors with every water change so I'm right there with you!

My only complaint with RS Blue Bucket is low mg and ca. I like the alk level mixed however. That said, every water change is lowering my overall levels. My recent test on the bommie revealed 370ppm on CA, and 1160ppm on MG. I am buffering to elevate, so likely moving forward, I will have to test and buffer newly mixed saltwater. I am due for a 20% change, and will update this journal regarding observations on funk and corals. Despite the funk, my corals all seem to be doing well, so at no point was there an emergency.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Just purchased this new sb unit to fill back portion of the tank. Claims 180 watts, will pull a reefbar from ati unit, as this will sort of replace.

rolanv-22-1.jpg

rolanv-22.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam at BC has some of the sickest milli’s around I think. He has great stuff in general but I really love some of his milli’s. I am getting a few soon! Keep the pictures coming.

corey

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam at BC has some of the sickest milli’s around I think. He has great stuff in general but I really love some of his milli’s. I am getting a few soon! Keep the pictures coming.

corey
Hi Corey,
Here are millis I will be tracking. Milli’s are by far my favorite acros. As you can see, the BC lot has me a boost in my milli collection. I do plan to add several more millis, but in no hurry, lol.

BC Battlegum
BC Raindrops On Roses
BC Marty Mcfly
BC Mondo Rainbow
BC Sex Feast
BC Toast of London
BC Fleshdunce
BC Sunflower Spath
Sunset Milli

Some I have already photo'd, more to come... :)
Hellflower
IMG_20220209_064857_411.jpg

Sunflower Spath
IMG_20220206_133142_680.jpg

Battlegum
20220206_120026.jpg

Sex Feast
20220206_120254.jpg

Marty Mcfly
20220206_120015.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great looking. I got a battlebox from him years ago and only asked 1/2 be milli’s. Hahaha. I will be adding some again real soon!

corey

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great looking. I got a battlebox from him years ago and only asked 1/2 be milli’s. Hahaha. I will be adding some again real soon!

corey

I basically just said I love millis, and smoothies are cool too. I have that elusive "Set for Stun" just haven't shared yet. Here's best pic I could get, but its VERY blue, pic doesn't show it proper...

20220223_102813.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good blue coral. I’m hoping to grab a piece of “ heart of the ocean” for a nice blue.
I’ll have to stay tuned to see some more pictures of you above coral.

corey

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically just said I love millis, and smoothies are cool too. I have that elusive "Set for Stun" just haven't shared yet. Here's best pic I could get, but its VERY blue, pic doesn't show it proper...

20220223_102813.jpg
The pic looks a little like a purple monster.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic looks a little like a purple monster.
Tim, probably between my camera skills, or lack there of, the pic shows purple hues, when in fact, its blue, blue, blue... I am going to tag Mr. Herman for his insights on this coral. I know he and Adam from BC marvel over this piece :)
Set for Stun is the coral being discussed @therman if you happen to stop by.
Cheers :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
What a beautiful morning in Central FL, windows open, and I truly believe that fresh air exchange is the key to ph. My tank is in front of a window, and it's super easy to get fresh air when opened. I also draw fresh air to the skimmer, here's my take.
Running the skimmer pulling fresh air accounts for .2 on my ph meter. Opening the window accounts for another .2
My peak without skimmer pulling fresh air, window closed is 7.5 low point, and 7.9 high point.
So window open, skimmer on, I am seeing a .4 total increase both day and night. I am back to 2 part autmated, as kalkwasser is not my thing, not until I see real uptake in minerals. That said, I am not really seeing any negative effects by switching, as it relates to ph. I may consider when nutrients eventually balance, but I believe it's lowering my P04, and I prefer not to dose P04 when uglies present, but an unfortunate must right now. Hopefully P04 will begin to rise naturally, much easier to control elevated P04 than low/no measurable P04, at least for me.
Just sharing my ph experience, which in 17 years of sps, I never measured or tested, or cared, lol...hmmm
Cheers

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tim, probably between my camera skills, or lack there of, the pic shows purple hues, when in fact, its blue, blue, blue... I am going to tag Mr. Herman for his insights on this coral. I know he and Adam from BC marvel over this piece :)
Set for Stun is the coral being discussed @therman if you happen to stop by.
Cheers :)

I do love Set for Stun! It is a lot like a blue and teal Jawdropper :D I think if you can grow that one, RR Shazam, Skinny love, or BC Cricket Spine the JD will do well in the same system.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow,
What a beautiful morning in Central FL, windows open, and I truly believe that fresh air exchange is the key to ph. My tank is in front of a window, and it's super easy to get fresh air when opened. I also draw fresh air to the skimmer, here's my take.
Running the skimmer pulling fresh air accounts for .2 on my ph meter. Opening the window accounts for another .2
My peak without skimmer pulling fresh air, window closed is 7.5 low point, and 7.9 high point.
So window open, skimmer on, I am seeing a .4 total increase both day and night. I am back to 2 part autmated, as kalkwasser is not my thing, not until I see real uptake in minerals. That said, I am not really seeing any negative effects by switching, as it relates to ph. I may consider when nutrients eventually balance, but I believe it's lowering my P04, and I prefer not to dose P04 when uglies present, but an unfortunate must right now. Hopefully P04 will begin to rise naturally, much easier to control elevated P04 than low/no measurable P04, at least for me.
Just sharing my ph experience, which in 17 years of sps, I never measured or tested, or cared, lol...hmmm
Cheers
Having my temp tank set up in the garage has really boosted my ph. My nighttime low is around 8 (sometimes 7.97) while the daytime hits 8.5 easily. I’m sure my ph probe needs replacing, but if I didn’t shut off my skimmer during the day, it would probably go higher. That fresh air really gives a tank an extra boost. It shows you just how much your co2 levels affect your tank.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love Set for Stun! It is a lot like a blue and teal Jawdropper :D I think if you can grow that one, RR Shazam, Skinny love, or BC Cricket Spine the JD will do well in the same system.
Tim,
Thanks for popping in and sharing, I truly appreciate it! So far, as a frag, it is just laying base, normal for me. It's rendition of blue satisfies my need for any similar blue, it's quite stunning. I have had it for a couple months, it's doing well. I will be messaging you soon for an acro pack, just need to be picky as space running thin, lol.
Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having my temp tank set up in the garage has really boosted my ph. My nighttime low is around 8 (sometimes 7.97) while the daytime hits 8.5 easily. I’m sure my ph probe needs replacing, but if I didn’t shut off my skimmer during the day, it would probably go higher. That fresh air really gives a tank an extra boost. It shows you just how much your co2 levels affect your tank.

I may even just open regardless of outside temp, as it may be worth a little extra demand on ac. And yes, when we were here as a family of 4, ph was quite low, now it's just 2 of us, and the natural upward shift in ph is quite drastic. Cheers my friend!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that the cyano and dinos, aka uglies, are receding. Actually, dinos gone, but a few spots of cyano withering. All along, I have been running UV, and dosing Pro Bio S daily, at 4 drops. Yesterday morning, I went offline with UV, water still passing through, but UV light off. I also started online with NP Pro (liquid polymer carbon source), @ 3 drops for now. It appears that some hair is growing in place of dinos, which is fine, as my foxface is a tremendous utility fish, and actually my favorite. I am going to get my CUC updated, as I feel it has dwindled. This morning, the reef looks the best it has since the reboot, fingers crossed. I am seeing obvious signs of growth, and colors trending too. I have to bump my esv 2 part, as the uptake seems to be increasing, a good sign.
Soon, I will begin documenting sps with photos :)
Cheers

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back