Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cricket spine and skinny love are going to look amazing once they grow out
Tim,
Cricket Spine is probably the deepest riches red color I have ever seen in an acro. To think it is also a smoothie just elevates the piece to another level. I am seeing some cool under tones come in as well. It is going to be a stunner! Skinny Love looks identical, but in blue, it too is such a cool soft powdery blue :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro don’t stir nothing up on transfer, you got fire with this tank

LOL,
Not to worry, I think the lead time on this being built and delivered puts it here sometime this summer. Frankly, I will be happy to see it get wet by fall. I am in no hurry, and am likely going to keep this tank running. I have all the equipment I need, lol. Heck, I have so much stuff, I won't need to buy any equipment for the new tank either, lol :) Not to worry, I will be making 1000% sure that the tank transfer is ready for instant cycle and success.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL,
Not to worry, I think the lead time on this being built and delivered puts it here sometime this summer. Frankly, I will be happy to see it get wet by fall. I am in no hurry, and am likely going to keep this tank running. I have all the equipment I need, lol. Heck, I have so much stuff, I won't need to buy any equipment for the new tank either, lol :) Not to worry, I will be making 1000% sure that the tank transfer is ready for instant cycle and success.
LOL,
I know I always follow you, your experience shows simplicity on keeping sps without bells and whistles, thank you

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I always follow you, your experience shows simplicity on keeping sps without bells and whistles, thank you

Thanks for following along in the journey :)
Sometimes we can actually be our own worst enemy, and definitely cause more problems than necessary. Adding too many components makes for more failing points, but can also send you down the rabbit hole of data chasing.
All the best my friend!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Reefnation Purple Turaki is taking off, this one is also from @therman
Just a lovely coral :)

20230116_161623.jpg

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@therman

I need corals. I want my tank to look like this inspiring tank.

Can't wait to see them all grow out. Nice!
Sure, just shoot me a private message and I'll link you to my sale thread to figure out a pack deal. Don't want to post it here and hijack Perry's awesome thread :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@therman

I need corals. I want my tank to look like this inspiring tank.

Can't wait to see them all grow out. Nice!

Thank you Tyler, super kind of you to say :)
Waiting for them to grow out is like anticipating Christmas, in January, lol :)
Some do grow, but others, they take forever. My Jaw Dropper is almost back to form in color, a 3 month process. It has barely grown too. I do have a back up piece though that was a part of my last pack, so hoping one of them gets in gear!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,
I decided to run a test this morning on nutrients, and while these numbers can be scary to some, I am quite satisfied with deeply saturated colors and heavy polyp extension.
I feed heavy daily, my skimmer is well over rated, no filter socks, light carbon/bacteria dosing, passive carbon. Like many reefs, algaes too love this environment. Now, I could tone down my full spectrum, and probably solve that problem running heavy blue, but to me, full spectrum lighting promotes coral well being.
Some now say that a 10 to 1 ratio is ideal, I believe that's what TM suggests. I do not get lost in numbers, but I suspect today's results sort of confirm what the eye sees. No harm, no foul, pretty acros, so why would I think to intervene, lol ;)

20230119_062536.jpg

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty acros
You have some of the best smoothies in the game. The side shot you posted (Post No. 688, I believe) is also killer.

Looking forward to the cube you mentioned, as well. How is the quality on the Innovative Marine tanks?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some of the best smoothies in the game. The side shot you posted (Post No. 688, I believe) is also killer.

Looking forward to the cube you mentioned, as well. How is the quality on the Innovative Marine tanks?

Rick,
That's really cool of you to say, I am just enjoying collecting rare cool smoothie gems, and fortunately they are living :)
I give credit to @therman, Tim, for getting healthy specimens to me in pristine condition. I truly feel much happens early on with the cutting which ultimately determines its ability to survive shipping, and readjusting to its new environment.

Edit: I am not sure about the larger tanks, but do like thd AIO I have. I have heard really good things though :)

Last edited:

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,
I decided to run a test this morning on nutrients, and while these numbers can be scary to some, I am quite satisfied with deeply saturated colors and heavy polyp extension.
I feed heavy daily, my skimmer is well over rated, no filter socks, light carbon/bacteria dosing, passive carbon. Like many reefs, algaes too love this environment. Now, I could tone down my full spectrum, and probably solve that problem running heavy blue, but to me, full spectrum lighting promotes coral well being.
Some now say that a 10 to 1 ratio is ideal, I believe that's what TM suggests. I do not get lost in numbers, but I suspect today's results sort of confirm what the eye sees. No harm, no foul, pretty acros, so why would I think to intervene, lol ;)

20230119_062536.jpg
Those numbers actually look fine to me. I always worry more about pale corals so running higher nutrients has always allowed me to use more and stronger full spectrum light. It’s hard to brown them out if you’ve got a lot of light.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,

20230119_062536.jpg

So what do you mean.. Die you change from full spectrum to blue heavy only?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you mean.. Die you change from full spectrum to blue heavy only?

Oh heck no, I am a huge advocate of full spectrum lighting, for both growing corals, and taking pics. My analogy was that I could likely limit algae growth, with my current nutrient levels, by limiting my spectrum to only blues. Instead, I choose full spectrum and good old elbow grease ;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers actually look fine to me. I always worry more about pale corals so running higher nutrients has always allowed me to use more and stronger full spectrum light. It’s hard to brown them out if you’ve got a lot of light.

Hello,
I am not concerned by the least, this is where my levels fall, based on feeding, and filtration used. I would however prefer to lower both, but equally, as my ratio seems good, but nothing worth chasing. I suspect that as my corals continue to grow, likely they will help filter and naturally lower nutrients.
Cheers,

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh heck no, I am a huge advocate of full spectrum lighting, for both growing corals, and taking pics. My analogy was that I could likely limit algae growth, with my current nutrient levels, by limiting my spectrum to only blues. Instead, I choose full spectrum and good old elbow grease ;)
Sounds reasonable :)
Do you have any idea of the AI Hydra 32HD LEDs? I am unsure with my settings...
Corals seem to darken and lose the POP in my tank compared to howthey look when I receive the frags.

Furthermore I am also having higher nutrients.. PO4 is 0.2 and NO3 is 15-20
I am wondering if my corals would get lighter and have more glow when I lower both.. Especially NO3...
Was debating to dose NOPOX to bring them down a bit.. but would need to dose NOPOX with no end I guess...

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds reasonable :)
Do you have any idea of the AI Hydra 32HD LEDs? I am unsure with my settings...
Corals seem to darken and lose the POP in my tank compared to howthey look when I receive the frags.

Furthermore I am also having higher nutrients.. PO4 is 0.2 and NO3 is 15-20
I am wondering if my corals would get lighter and have more glow when I lower both.. Especially NO3...
Was debating to dose NOPOX to bring them down a bit.. but would need to dose NOPOX with no end I guess...

I believe that lower p04 levels will lighten/pastel colors. Your n03 is fine, in fact my personal goal is 5-10ppm, and .08-.12 p04, but not going to do much outside light carbon/bacteria dosing with Prodibio and water changes. Otherwise, I let nutrients sort of fall as they may. Intervention would be a water change 1st. I prefer to not use products like gfo or LC to lower p04.
In your case slowly ramp light each week, allowing corals to adapt, they will ;)

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that lower p04 levels will lighten/pastel colors. Your n03 is fine, in fact my personal goal is 5-10ppm, and .08-.12 p04, but not going to do much outside light carbon/bacteria dosing with Prodibio and water changes. Otherwise, I let nutrients sort of fall as they may. Intervention would be a water change 1st. I prefer to not use products like gfo or LC to lower p04.
In your case slowly ramp light each week, allowing corals to adapt, they will ;)
Well yeah... I am also not a fan of dosing things like LC or using GFO.. but sometimes I have to dose a few drops LC when my PO4 really skyrockets.. I have too many fish and I feed heavy.

I have a 53gallon system and use the NYOS Quantum 120 skimmer plus a filter sock and some media blocks (nothing too fancy)

Still, I use 2 Hydra 32HD over my 24" cube and it should be enough of light.. Still, I am not sure if I blast them too heavy? Can that be the case?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah... I am also not a fan of dosing things like LC or using GFO.. but sometimes I have to dose a few drops LC when my PO4 really skyrockets.. I have too many fish and I feed heavy.

I have a 53gallon system and use the NYOS Quantum 120 skimmer plus a filter sock and some media blocks (nothing too fancy)

Still, I use 2 Hydra 32HD over my 24" cube and it should be enough of light.. Still, I am not sure if I blast them too heavy? Can that be the case?

Slow and steady maybe 2-5% weekly bumps in blue, and a little less on white, but yeah, they can handle pretty much whatever you throw, just be patient :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back